News: Foran ready to be given half a chance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
Kieran Foran has only played two test matches for New Zealand. He's only 20 and has yet to play 50 first-grade games. But despite all that, New Zealand are convinced he will be their long-term halfback.

Read the full article

I'm not proposing for one second that we dump DCE. But, last year I think most of us would have thought that certain aspects of Forans game weren't up to being a no 7 and he probably better suited the the five eight role. However, considering the rate of improvement in his game this year, I have no doubt that if he were to take the halfback job for us he would do a much better job than he did last season.

As I said, I have no intentions of dumping DCE and think he is a 10 year no 7 for us. But I'm wondering if in the back of Dessies mind, if he's thinking about it. At the very least is an option for us and such a move would help the squeeze on selection that is our 3/4 line.

IMO there isn't a lot between the half and 5/8 roles these days anyway. I for one wanted us to use Foran at half and Killer at 5/8 last year but Dessie didn't see that as an option, which I can understand (not that he should listen to my opinion). I think you just need a ball player and a ball runner in those roles, and it doesn't matter whether they wear 6 or 7. I'm guessing the Kiwis would be as equally effective with Marshall in 7 and Foran in 6.

its very much played left and right side these days, with the hooker determining which option to take, our priority go to man is foran close at the line. Could DCE play 5/8 ? hes quicker and more elusive, but then watching our games this year there is no difference !

DCE's defense on that side of the field is far too weak. So, too his ability to think on his feet under pressure. Balls spraying everywhere. He also needs to stop kicking goals.

I'd be happy with (next season):-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Oldfield
03. Steve Matai
04. William Hopoate
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Keiran Foran

That's if DCE doesn't improve substantially between now and then.

Copa Eagle said:
its very much played left and right side these days, with the hooker determining which option to take, our priority go to man is foran close at the line. Could DCE play 5/8 ? hes quicker and more elusive, but then watching our games this year there is no difference !

They are interchangable to a degree, but as a rule, I'd say most teams halfbacks touch the ball alot more than your no 6s.

Another similar article on Foran:

Andrew Johns expertise could tip test Kiwis way

One Australian rugby league icon could inadvertently undermine another's glorious march into retirement after Kieran Foran lauded the influence Andrew Johns has exerted on his burgeoning international career.

Johns and Darren Lockyer were long-standing rivals at State of Origin level and now, as the Kangaroos captain embarks on his last season of representative football, Johns has primed Kiwis halfback Foran to help New Zealand upstage the Queenslander's Anzac test swan song at Skilled Park on Friday night.

Now a freelance coaching consultant, Johns has played an integral role in grooming the Manly five-eighth for his third test appearance - and second as a foil for Kiwis playmaker Benji Marshall.

Johns tutored Foran on a weekly basis during Manly's pre-season; master and apprentice subsequently maintained regular contact as the 20-year-old enhances his status as one of the National Rugby League's potential stars of the future.

"Joey's been an enormous help to my progress this year, he doesn't have to help me but he goes out of his way to improve my game," Foran told NZPA.

"He's helped my overall knowledge of the game and helped me identify what to do in certain situations". what play to put on, and when."

They last brain stormed before Manly's visit to Townsville last weekend - a timely catch-up as Foran encountered Kangaroos halfback Jonathan Thurston for the first time.

A corked thigh limited Foran's game time as the Thurston-inspired North Queensland Cowboys won by two points, but 62 minutes still amounted to a valuable learning experience.

"I got a lot out of that game, watching him trying to control a game of football. It's not until you're out there that you realise what a champion player he is," he said.

Since entering the Kiwis camp on Sunday night Marshall, not Thurston, has been Foran's focus as they try to build a rapport capable of negating two of Queensland -- and Australia's - finest halves.

Foran made his Kiwis debut on the unsuccessful Four Nations trip to the UK and France in 2009 as a centre and made the transition to halfback 12 months ago in Melbourne - a difficult ask after minimal preparation time alongside Marshall.

At Surfers Paradise Foran and Marshall will have four sessions to find the same wave length - and so far progress appears promising because the Sea Eagle's confidence is soaring.

"In the last 12 months he's really matured. You really notice it in his football, the way he guides Manly around the field," Marshall said.
Ad Feedback

"He's really comfortable in our environment. When he came in it was hard to dominate, now he can order the guys around.

"We haven't played together a lot like Locky and JT but as soon as we got into camp we were talking about how we're going to operate. I think we've got a good understanding."

With Marshall guaranteed to be a marked man, Foran's role as another point of attack is critical as the Kiwis seek their first Anzac test win since 1998 - and first on Australian soil.

Foran acknowledged that responsibility and was hopeful of reproducing his club form at the highest level.

"We don't want the Aussies loading up on Benji so I've to play my part," he said.

"Everyone can see I'm a natural runner of the footy but I wanted to work on my ability to play-make and I think I've achieved that."

Still, that remains Marshall's core responsibility against the Kangaroos.

"A player of Benji's brilliance". when he needs the ball he's going to get it. From my point of view it's knowing where to be, controlling the middle of the ruck and adding a good kicking game," he said.

Marshall and Foran have their run tomorrow at the test venue though their combination will be of secondary importance compared to the fitness of Adam Blair and Nathan Fien.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4962888/Andrew-Johns-expertise-could-tip-test-Kiwis-way

Actually another post with alot of hate coming my way,we should be used to this by now

Its the backline i think we should strive towards

1 B Stewart
2 M Oldfield
3 W Hopoate
4 S Matai
5 D Williams
6 K Foran
7 D Cherry-Evans

I dont think we need killer for 2 much longer to be honest
He is a crutch for our current halves they wont need in 2013

He is very much like Peter Sterling in the way he walks around the field - i.e. when he is about to feed a scrum etc. The hair length makes him look like a young Sterlo as well.

Phantar said:
He is very much like Peter Sterling in the way he walks around the field - i.e. when he is about to feed a scrum etc. The hair length makes him look like a young Sterlo as well.

Okay that's just weird several family members can see that as well.

**** off Ryan.

DCE is going to be a gun. We don't need to go down the Parra road & get rid of blokes before they reach their potential. At the moment, Foz is the dominant half, but so he should be. Look at his experiance compared to Daly's. Give him time & they'll strike up the same combo they had in the 20's together. It's there in patches already.

Duff said:
f**k off Ryan.

DCE is going to be a gun. We don't need to go down the Parra road & get rid of blokes before they reach their potential. At the moment, Foz is the dominant half, but so he should be. Look at his experiance compared to Daly's. Give him time & they'll strike up the same combo they had in the 20's together. It's there in patches already.

Foran and DCE will be the most dominate halves since Langers, Walters, Stuart and Daley and will bring us Premierships like Sterling and Kenny you can just see the class that these two bring to the team.

I don't like putting presure on these two but you can see the next premiership will come from them

I don't think Foran is a half back.... The more I see of his skill set and taking into consideration his size, he's best suited to #6.

He's got a back rower's mentality (in terms of his toughness) but at just 20yrs old and lean frame, he's got to curb that and pick his moments.

The only reason's he's playing #7 for the Kiwi's is because Marshall is the senior player and he also plays #6.

Marshall played first receiver on Friday night and Foran did very little except feed the scrums. Like I said, 6 or 7 on your back means sweet FA.

Chip and Chase said:
Marshall played first receiver on Friday night and Foran did very little except feed the scrums. Like I said, 6 or 7 on your back means sweet FA.
Nah buddy was at the game they played left and right side.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6