News: Former Manly coach and captain passes away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Former Manly Sea Eagles coach and captain George Hunter has passed away after a long illness aged 80. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4188-former-manly-coach-and-captain-passes-away.html">Read the full article</a>

I remember his name as coach of our great team that got to the grand final in 1968. That was the first year I started following Manly's fortunes and they got to the grand final so I followed them ever since. We had some great forwards & we had a young Bobby Fulton who although a baby was our key player already. I think making that GF was also the start of a surge towards our first premiership, which took several more years. As we got closer and closer I got more and more hooked. We pulled out all stops in signing whoever we thought we needed to accomplish that goal, including champs like Mal Reilly and finally the Souths blokes headed by O'Neil & Branighan. In the end we had a team which was totally unbeatable, and we won!

So George certainly played a part in building our club. Condolences to his family on their loss.

I didn't recall the name either, have read that book on the clubs history as well, poor effort on my behalf !!!

RIP

Rest well old fella. Didn't know of the bloke but I'm glad he was an Eagle.

Older guys tend to be forgotten.  I agree with everything that SeaEagleRock8 wrote.  It was the beginning of our go-forward.  Until then we were making up the numbers really.   

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4