News: Forty-one NRL players suffer serious injuries

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
THERE are increasing calls for the NRL to ease their salary cap crusade and allow clubs to replace players who have suffered long-term injuries.The calls come as rugby league confronts the most catastrophic early-season injury toll in the game's history.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5468-forty-one-nrl-players-suffer-serious-injuries.html">Read the full article</a>

I'd agree with this, not that high quality players are likely to be sitting around in the wings unsigned however clubs should be able to replace players (much like we can do in fantasy league) if they are out for the season.

This seems like a good idea but it will not stop the injuries.  What's to say that someone gets injured so their team then recruits someone else who then also gets injured.  So we're back at square one.

We need to look at the root cause and why all these players are getting injured and can the injuries be avoided.  Is it their fitness or strength level or age?

There's been talk of reducing the number of interchanges which I think would be a great idea.  This would mean less big fresh forwards running at tired players.  Players would then have to pace themselves to ensure they get through the match.  So conditioning and fitness training would be very important.  This would lead to less big hits and give the halves and other smaller men a chance to weave some magic.

Thoughts?

The problem with that Rodo is it slows the game down. I think that is the last thing we (spectators) want.

Surely less interchanges would mean more injured players would be 'encouraged' to play through the pain. And therefore lead to exacerbated conditions in a lot of cases. Trex missed a week for us because he had to play on a sore leg, and the roosters were down a man for 12 minutes because of running out of interchanges, these problems would become more common under a lower number of interchanges one would think.

All teams should carry an 18th man. The NRL should supply a doctor ( independantly) who checks all concussions.He then confers with club doctor. If the doctor rules them out of the game for a head nock. 18th man can sit on the bench and be part of the roster

Leave it as it is.  It's a hard game and injuries will occur.  All I'd like to see is players who suffer head injuries (concussion) don't return to the field and have a mandatory week off.  Union players get injured, so do AFL players.  It's a contact sport.  I would imagine that if one did the stats year in, there wouldn't be to much disparity between one year and the next.       

unfortunately we cant leave it in the clubs hands as last week showed. As long as the clubs can see they will lose an advantage, they will push the players beyond logic. Until the clubs get something, they will continue to play russian roulette with there staff

Human Nature

One thing I think we need is an injured reserve list, like the NFL has in place (broken record, I know).

Once on IR a player cannot play for the remainder of the season but may rehab & train with the team. The player doesn't count towards the senior squad limit & his wage does not count against the salary cap for the remainder of the season.

Would've been great for us in 09.

jbb/james link said:
All teams should carry an 18th man. The NRL should supply a doctor ( independantly) who checks all concussions.He then confers with club doctor. If the doctor rules them out of the game for a head nock. 18th man can sit on the bench and be part of the roster

That's the new AFL system.  I'll be interested to see how it works. 

Has anyone considered reducing the numbers of players per team to 12 to give the players a little more room and less likelihood of gang tackles?
Over the years players have got bigger, heavier, faster and stronger - yet the dimensions of a football field have stayed the same.

Discuss.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4