News: Give Foran half a chance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>SEA Eagles winger David Williams is pleading for Manly fans to show patience towards rookie half Kieran Foran ahead of his NRL initiation in the No. 7 jumper.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4606-give-foran-half-a-chance.html">Read the full article</a>

Wolfman is wasting his breath around this place. Foran will get absolutely crucified on here by the "experts" if Manly don't win on Monday night, regardless of how he plays.

Chip & Chase link said:
Wolfman is wasting his breath around this place. Foran will get absolutely crucified on here by the \"experts\" if Manly don't win on Monday night, regardless of how he plays.

Why would he? It's not his fault he is being played out of position. When Manly don't win Monday, in my opinion, it will be because just like in the 2005 season, players positions (hell, even the jerseys Monaghan and Ox wore) confused the team, and we were all over the place.

what amazes me is that the same blokes who laud des about winning GF's by record scores and is thus not open to criticism by us  because of this  are the same blokes who crucified the captain and 2008 dally m winner ever since he got to manly.he  actually ran out onto the field that night as captain in 08 and played a great game for gods sake.Hasler was his fiercest advocate so our much lauded coach must have thought he could play.cant have it both ways lads.that was  a great night and coach,captain and players desrve massive plaudits.

simple answer is this.just like orford had faults (which were shown up vividly in 09)it is a reasonable assertion that des is not a man to change tack quickly which can IMO  be detrimental to the team at times.

des is a great coach just as orford was a very good player.des ticks all the boxes but it is common knowledge he is very loathe to change which is a small negative in an otherwise complete package.

as for kieran,every single person knows how good and committed he is,some simply think he is playing out of position which is a reasonable assumption given he has never been a regular halfback and by his own admission never been required to possess a kicking game.

he will go good as usual and i hope we murder them but i doubt his attributes will be best suited at half in the future.

as an exercise can anyone think of a real good halfback in the modern era who wasnt a regular halfback to begin with.i may be missing something but they dont exist.

mortimer,sterling,langer,stuart,alexander,langer,johns,prince.thurston probably only one who did not play exclusively at half.come to think of it i cant even think of any good ones,let alone great ones.

doesnt mean a bloke trying it cant play but does mean it is a position where you rarely succeed without a background in the position.

susan ridgepipe link said:
as an exercise can anyone think of a real good halfback in the modern era who wasnt a regular halfback to begin with.i may be missing something but they dont exist.

mortimer,sterling,langer,stuart,alexander,langer,johns,prince.thurston probably only one who did not play exclusively at half.come to think of it i cant even think of any good ones,let alone great ones.

doesnt mean a bloke trying it cant play but does mean it is a position where you rarely succeed without a background in the position.

Cooper Cronk was a hooker. He turned out pretty good, 2 premierships, played for his country.

Give it a break guys, premierships aren't won in the first round.
This team will change by the year end. I think it's a sensible team for round 1.

King link said:
I think it's a sensible team for round 1.

And thats the most spot on comment so far this year.

This side is a round 1 team. We don't need a freakish half to win this game, or the first few games for that matter. What we need is a first grade ready team and that is what Des has selected.

Hodkinson will get his chance this year through injury/suspension/origin and hopefully he takes the opportunity when it comes up, but this team is the most suitable team to kick off our first 5-10 games.

2008 was a great year don't get me wrong, but isn't it wrong to hold on to it like a hookers only gig for the night?!

Moving forward, by round 20 i would love to see many in contention for 4th with TH and KF the 7 and 6 respectively. Ox won't help us now.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6