News: Harrigan demanded sack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Dumped video referee Bill Harrigan has revealed he demanded to be sacked after taking full responsibility for the Mark Gasnier try fiasco - and also admits the two referee system has failed the game this year.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5068-harrigan-demanded-sack.html">Read the full article</a>

He was all smiles at the TAB picking up his winnings.

:)

It didn't cost us the match & one went our way in the second half.
That's life.

Even after a bad performance he can pump his ego up demanding his own sacking

Let's just say that part of his story is correct, and he had a blurry screen. Completely unacceptable in a professional game not to have a top quality TV set for the video ref

The 2 ref system has been **** since day 1

Jerry1 link said:

That's life.

I Disagree, it's all about momentum and after wathcing the replay you can see how deflated we looked after that try.

Saying it's ok because we got one in the 2nd half isn't good enougth football is nearly 90% mental and decissions like that will have an effect on the oposing side.

Jonesyv2 link said:
[quote author=Jerry1 link=topic=184717.msg285484#msg285484 date=1282040518]

That's life.

I Disagree, it's all about momentum and after wathcing the replay you can see how deflated we looked after that try.

Saying it's ok because we got one in the 2nd half isn't good enougth football is nearly 90% mental and decissions like that will have an effect on the oposing side.
[/quote]

Na - bad decisions in every match mate. If it isn't one sided you have to live with it.

It wasn't like the Matt Cecchin one that cost us the match & to a certain extent the season.

We did enough to lose the game ourselves. They didn't beat us we lost it.

I've actually got a lot of respect for Harrigan.

He always prided himself on being as fit (if not fitter) than the athletes he worked with, he has an outstanding knowledge of not only the rules but the game itself, is an excellent communicator, has/had the respect of the vast majority of players and is extremely cool under pressure (He's a ex-police officer and was a hostage scenario negotiator).

He has a long history of blowing the whistle at the top flight in several countries and of course is the go to man for all things "reffing"

That said, if our current system can allow someone with this experience and credibility to make such a howling mistake then it shows that there is a major deficiency in that system.

What a w**ker Harrigan is.

Sounds to me like he probably wanted a weekend off to look at the mirror, so he made the mistake deliberately and then asked to be dropped.

And what kind of a boss is Finch?  He defends these morons week in week out.  He wouldn't have dropped Harrigan in a million years if Harrigan himself didn't ask for it.

The state of refereeing in the NRL is the worst it has ever been - and these two are the reasons why.

I have said many times that this year's effort by the officials in games in the worst I have seen in decades. Someone needs to be held accountable.

I have always had a huge amount of time for Harrigan. At his peak he is the best ref I have seen in more than 40 years of watching the game. He was fitter and faster by a street from the other refs and almost invisible in his 21 SOO games (Tallis probably doesn't think so :) ) and 25 Tests and that is what fans want. Most of the time you just knew he got the hard calls right.

Some hate him for going to SL but they were paid crap and treated like it by the ARL. No doubt he became a celebrity in his own right, similar to Hartley, and pushed that agenda but when you are the best you deserve recognition.

But he and Finch have lost the plot with the way refs have been guided in their decision processes the last two years.

If a ref has to demand their OWN sacking, it suggests something about Robert Finch and David Gallop around accountability (or lack thereof).

It shows Finch doesn't hold his team to benchmarks, and is fine with errors.

Finch is the problem here.

MadMarcus link said:
And what kind of a boss is Finch?  He defends these morons week in week out.  He wouldn't have dropped Harrigan in a million years if Harrigan himself didn't ask for it.

The state of refereeing in the NRL is the worst it has ever been - and these two are the reasons why.

You got that right. Finch is a goose and Harrigan has lost touch with what makes a good referee. In an attempt to make it foolproof they have taken all discretionary powers away from the refs and the implementation of officiating by "Key Indicators" is a joke. So frustrating for fans watching these idiots week in week out being inconsistent and making blatant game altering mistakes....imagine being a player. 

bill is arrogant and except for this one occasion when he had no choice he lacks accountability.

As a result the current referees are a mirror imagine as this bloke who has been a cancer on the game since 1987

Fellow fans,

Did I just hear right that Bill Harrigan trotted out the line that the TV screen he was watching on Monday night was"blurry"?

Is this fool for real?

I was watching the game at a club with quite a few St`s supporters and after just one, front on shot replay,it was VERY clear that Gaz had indeed dropped the pill before the line.How in hell could BH get it so wrong with the ability to ask for slow mo replays of ANY angle.

The mind boggles...

The big screen at the ground was clear, I could see the separation, why didn't he just look out the window and see it there if his monitor was 'blurry'.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I wonder if 6-4 at half time would have had any impact on the end result??

My opinion is that the decision put us to sleep. The dragons were looking tired at that point and it gave them a big boost.

Not to mention the ref called held before the pass leading up to the first try and the final try was off a Soward knock...

Still champion teams overcome these hurdles and don't win because of what the refs throw up, they win despite what the refs throw up.

3 or 4 years ago when harrigan wasnt part of the referees squad he had a section in his column in the gold coast bulletin where he ended up going head to head with a manly fan and they would quote each others emails weekly in the paper.this was after weeks of manly bagging in his column.it was f..ing unbelieveable.it got quite heated in the end and harrigan started throwing lines about how he had always hated manly like everyone else and they always folded when the heat was on.it is only a small thing but there is no way that clown doesnt despise us.

there is no way in the world that a seasoned ref could have awarded that try.he knew it was a bad decision and ran with it (i.e cheated) but i think he misread exactly how bad it actually was.he probably thought it was close enough to explain away given his idea that he is an exalted figure in the game.good f...ing riddance to the weasel.

i know its sound like a conspiracy theory but i truly believe he is biased against the maroon and white.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6