News: Harrigan's Master-ref class cooks up changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>BILL HARRIGAN's officiating overhaul has begun.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5293-harrigans-master-ref-class-cooks-up-changes.html">Read the full article</a>

Post  automatically merged: [time]1292526823[/time]

I'm pretty happy with all those changes. And good luck Ox with the Raiders.

im not too fussed about the offside from kickoffs that are a set or two as most teams form a line and therefore follow the slower player and get no advantage.

Very happy to see crack downs on walking off the mark and scrums.

A player should only be able to take one step forward to allow the ball to be played underneath that foot

The areas Harrigan have identified are worthwhile.  And what if 50/50 calls on relatively minor indiscretions didn't have the enormous impact they currently do?  Referees currently decide games on relative trivialities.

For example, could 50/50 calls on minor indiscretions result in one extra tackle, rather than 40 metres from a kick plus a restart of the tackle count?

What if players were simply given three seconds to get off a tackled player, whether tackled around the shoulders or the ankles? And the referee had a beeper which signalled tackle completion and automatically counted the three seconds.  A simultaneous pass and tackle completion is simply brought back to play the ball rather than penalised.  etc.  Cut out the referee subjectivity of dominant tackles and surrender calls, etc.

Rex link said:
What if players were simply given three seconds to get off a tackled player, whether tackled around the shoulders or the ankles? And the referee had a beeper which signalled tackle completion and automatically counted the three seconds.  A simultaneous pass and tackle completion is simply brought back to play the ball rather than penalised.  etc.  Cut out the referee subjectivity of dominant tackles and surrender calls, etc.
Good idea but I think teams should be rewarded for dominant tackles though.

I have 3 suggestions

Can we throw in that we abolish that stupid pack a scrum and stay packed rule to keep the clock off.

Also go back to a single ref, noone likes the 2 referee rule. 1 ref for 100 years and 2 refs has only caused confusion. If they insist on 2 refs, lets set some hard and fast rules that include only one being in charge and the other simply being an "on field touchjudge" who advises the main ref only.

Keep kickers on the mark for drop outs. Guys like Benji Marshall and Luke Walsh put a foot mark in take two steps back then take 3 or 4 steps past their mark for the kick

What's the bet we are the first team to be penalised for walking off the mark.  Even though it is rarely enforced we have been pinged for it when other teams are far greater offenders.  Some teams do it so often you would have to think they are coached to do it.

Ben Wallace link said:
I
Also go back to a single ref, noone likes the 2 referee rule. I ref for 100 years and 2 refs has only caused confusion.

100 years is a tremendous effort to be reffing that long for. Hats off to you.

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Ben Wallace link=topic=186143.msg309741#msg309741 date=1292537446]
I
Also go back to a single ref, noone likes the 2 referee rule. I ref for 100 years and 2 refs has only caused confusion.

100 years is a tremendous effort to be reffing that long for. Hats off to you.
[/quote]

Thank you typo police

MissKate link said:
What's the bet we are the first team to be penalised for walking off the mark.  Even though it is rarely enforced we have been pinged for it when other teams are far greater offenders.  Some teams do it so often you would have to think they are coached to do it.

I was gonna say, Choc's going to get caught out a fair bit on that.  He'd take 5 steps forward but that may be because he often makes a mess of putting the ball down and rolling it under his feet when there are a couple of other players around the ruck...

So Stuart, who got sacked as Australian coach for abusing a referee is appointed as the refereees co boss. :eek:

My bad saw Stuart and Cronulla and missed the Raper

Hes a shocker and his head will be on the chopping block as it deserves to be soon enough.Better still give Bozo a cement truck for Christmas.

He lost me at "key indicators". FFS just ref what is in front of you and forget all this crap. I can see this year will be no different and pathetic refereeing will continue to unduly influence the outcome of games.

Why did they ever stop penalising players for not playing the ball on the mark ? How hard is it to enforce that rule ? Every fan and commentator can see it happening yet the referees need a symposium to sort it out.

One other thing I would love to see them enforce is making sure players get up onto both feet before they play the ball. This putting the ball on the ground and stepping over it as you get up is BS. It's little things like that which help slow the play the ball down and take away the need to wrestle and hold down.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4