News: Hawkins soaring after NRL call-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
<p class="storyHeadline">TALK about grabbing an opportunity with both hands. Coolum product Joseph Hawkins jumped at the chance to train with Manly’s under-20 squad, and it’s paid off.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4564-hawkins-soaring-after-nrl-call-up.html">Read the full article</a>

I wonder if many more will have the opportunity considering the QRL trying to block players from going up there.

I thought it was the NSWRL trying to stop the Manly to Sunshine Coast thing rather than anyone in QLD?

I also wondered if this article was about Jennifer Hawkins. :) :) :)

The Sunshine Coast could be a fantastic nursery for the club.  Both rugby codes are very organised up here and there seems to be a lot of talent. 

Agreed Mata. We put our interest in a few feeder clubs, and it never panned out. Hopefully, we can get the Eagles off the ground long term.

In the next week a decision will be made whether Council will proceed with a re-development of the ground at Kawana without State government support.  They have something like $15m in Federal and Government funds but they needed State funds to pull off the entire vision.

If the ground remains as it is I can't see the Sea Eagles continuing the partnership.  I played on better facilities when playing First Grade rugby in Canberra in the 1990s.

Matabele link said:
In the next week a decision will be made whether Council will proceed with a re-development of the ground at Kawana without State government support.  They have something like $15m in Federal and Government funds but they needed State funds to pull off the entire vision.

If the ground remains as it is I can't see the Sea Eagles continuing the partnership.  I played on better facilities when playing First Grade rugby in Canberra in the 1990s.

Its very dicey. The proposed desal plant at Marcoola & other infrastructure planning is seriously interfering with SC Council decision making on this. Im hopeful but not confident at all. This region is certainly still in a state of flux after the almalgamation of the 3 previous regions and the demographic pressures.

LoL - sounds as murky as The Golden Northern Beaches. Is the seat a marginal one in that demographic lads? One would assume an extremely labor intensive area, right?

I was hoping Jen Hawkins was joining the cheerleaders and was already looking forward to Byso's gynaecological zoom photos. 

Manly says goodbye
Steve Zemek | 14th January 2010

MANLY chairman Scott Penn says he is doubtful yet optimistic that the NRL club will continue its association with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles in 2011.

The two clubs began a feeder deal last year only to have it kyboshed by the ARL and NSWRL months later.

The agreement, which sees Manly players turn out for the Sunshine Coast in the Queensland Cup, is likely to come to an end at the conclusion of this season, after the rugby league’s governing body abolished “dual registration”.

Under the laws passed by the ARL board last year, NSW-based NRL clubs are not allowed to have a feeder relationship with Queensland Cup sides.

Penn, speaking to the Daily from the US, said he was hopeful of getting around the rules but predicted Manly would most likely field a team in the NSW Cup in 2011.

“If the deal ends, like any entity, we’ll look to the market and what’s available,” he said.

“We’ve enjoyed our relationship (with the Sunshine Coast). We saw it as a tremendous opportunity.

“Obviously some of that didn’t eventuate, particularly with the stadium at Kawana Waters. We saw it as a chance to build some infrastructure and a good operation.

“If it was still on the table, it certainly would sweeten the pot.”

Penn has invested heavily in the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles, with his contribution to the club understood to be in the millions.

He has openly admitted that he hoped for the Sunshine Coast to be the base for the fourth Queensland NRL side.

Late last year the two clubs said they were looking into ways to circumvent the rules.

Under one plan put forward by the Queensland Cup premiers, Manly would loan a number of lower grade players to the Sea Eagles for the duration of the season.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore said such an arrangement would be acceptable under the terms of the dual registration laws.

“There’s nothing wrong with that – if they want to transfer up here for the year, it’s their right to do that, that’s fine,” Livermore said.

“They just can’t transfer back and forth each week whenever they want. They can’t do that.”

The ARL passed the dual registration rules last year at the prompting of the NSWRL.

Despite opposing the rules, Livermore said he sympathised with his southern counterparts after watching the standard of the NSW Cup fall steadily over the last few years.

While the ARL will review the decision at the end of 2010, Livermore said the only chance of there being a change of heart was if the NSWRL managed to address the badly flagging standard of their flagship competition.

“We support New South Wales’ push to strengthen their own competition, but not at the expense of weakening something else,” he said.

“The laws will be reviewed at the end of 2010.

“And if we see that they’ve managed to strengthen their competition and do it right like we do, we’ll see what happens then.”

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2010/01/14/manly-says-goodbye/

Ryan link said:
LoL - sounds as murky as The Golden Northern Beaches. Is the seat a marginal one in that demographic lads? One would assume an extremely labor intensive area, right?
  Quite the opposite sadly.  Staunchly LNP.

Kawana is probably not a great place traffic wise to have a big stadium but it would add a lot the area and I can certainly see the possibility of having an NRL team there is the future

Dan link said:
Kawana is probably not a great place traffic wise to have a big stadium but it would add a lot the area and I can certainly see the possibility of having an NRL team there is the future
  They've made provision for a motorway just in behind it - by duplicating Kawana Way.  Plus the transport plan has metro rail going right past it, connecting to Brisbane at Landsborough.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4