News: Joey’s nod of approval for Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>AUSTRALIAN rugby league great Andrew Johns has rubber-stamped outstanding Sea Eagles youngster Kieran Foran to take over from Matt Orford in 2010.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4408-joeys-nod-of-approval-for-foran.html">Read the full article</a>

I like sound of hodko being the kind of half that leads the team around. That was my impression of him too and is what we need I could see both of them becoming a good pairing

The way i see it, Foran looks like a running 5/8th, hope we don't try to turn him into something he isn't
A good 5/8th doesn't always make a good half - look at Benji and Lockyer who have been pretty poor as halfback.

please  let it be foran at 5/8, hodkinson at half, jamie and matai in centres and no ben farrar please!!

Very hard to assess Joey's opinion, he certainly is an expert on what makes a halfback, but to say such nice things about all of those players, maybe he was just in an extremely good mood?

Obviously he gets paid so he feels he has to piss in everyone's pocket. I'm sure they will perform well. But time will tell.

I agree CW, Farrar can step in any time.
There is just so much to like about Foran and Orford moving on gives us the real chance to tie him up long term. He will do me as 5/8 for the next 3 seasons. Whether it is too early for Hodko to step up time will tell but that halves partnership is fine and I would like them to stick with it. It is hard to argue with Joey's opinion so if Foran takes either position I won't be worried.

Dan link said:
I like sound of hodko being the kind of half that leads the team around. That was my impression of him too and is what we need I could see both of them becoming a good pairing

I agree, gives the balance. Foran has never steered the side round like a halfback in the games i have seen - if was so easy to do then halfbacks would be a dime a dozen.

I said it before Des will want Lyon at 5/8 meaning Foran to half. Hopefully Hodkinson will be given a chance but the bench will have Bailey another one of Des's favorites and Seu Seu as back up hooker.

Put me down as a Hodko 7 and Foran 6 combo.  Might as well start them off the same time and from what that report says, why only have one when they're both so different?  Doesn't that give us *gasp* options?!

Dont rule out Des putting Foran in the centres either. Could well be Hodko, Lyon, Matai and Foran.

Not what I would like to see but something Des has run with previously.

Can you honestly see Des as the type of coach that'll risk two rookies in key positions like 6 and 7 ? He'll start Foran at 7 (where he'll be more than fine despite all the experts here claiming that it's such a difficult position to play) and Lyon at 6. That'll be a good pairing IMO.

C&C in the past he hasn't had to do it, but now he has an opportunity to try it and I say go for it.

Foran does not strike me as a half back, but Hodko I reckon could play both positions maybe he wont be the best half back in the league but he should be worth a shot

Whta was Joey doing at Narrabeen - having a coffee or is he doing some coaching with us?

I think having a rookie halves pairing is a risk that we don't need to take, it's not like we don't have options available to us.

We know Foran has cleared the first major hurdle for anyone stepping up to NRL. The kid is tough, can handle the grade and CAN tackle. He's no Luke Dorn or Aaron Groome. He'll be fine at 7, and really 6 and 7 are just ball players who stand on opposite sides of the ruck, there's not a real lot of difference in the roles, just that teams choose which position will be their dominant playmaker depending on ability and experience. Lockyer, Soward, Marshall and Barrett all steer their team wearing the 6. Foran doesn't have to be the chief, however I think given some freedom and some more experience he'll turn into a fine halfback.

Have we all forgotten we won a premeirship with Jamie at 5/8 ? Put him back there and give him a bigger hold of the reins, let him support Foran. We don't need to bring in a totally unknown quantity like Hodgo, it's not necessary. In fact IMO it's asking for trouble.

The Wheel link said:
Whta was Joey doing at Narrabeen - having a coffee or is he doing some coaching with us?
Well,he lives just up the road at bungan and does some coaching with manly and others...sort of free-lance coach.

Dan link said:
C&C in the past he hasn't had to do it, but now he has an opportunity to try it and I say go for it.

Foran does not strike me as a half back, but Hodko I reckon could play both positions maybe he wont be the best half back in the league but he should be worth a shot
I just hope Des at least gives him a go in the trials, I like to think that effort deserves reward. Coming back from a knee reconstruction, being a premiership winning halfback and player of the year in a clubs inaugural season must count for something.
Crusher hand picked him for a reason,  I hope it wasn't to just aesthetically enhance QLD, they already have the big pineapple.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8