News: Lyon’s a Maroon Killer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>IN-form Manly centre Jamie Lyon has put his hand up to captain NSW in the Blues desperate quest to end four-years of Queensland dominance.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4682-lyons-a-maroon-killer.html">Read the full article</a>

LOL  Let's pencil in a 5th series in a row for Queensland.  If Lyon was a Queenslander he'd never be considered for State duties again after previously trying to opt out.  I personally support his reasons for doing so, but it just wouldn't wash with the Queenslander mystique.  Captain!!!!

By Josh Jerga AAP
Manly centre Jamie Lyon is not only putting his hand up for NSW State of Origin selection this year, he also wants the captaincy.

In a stark turnaround from last year, when Lyon unsuccessfully sought an exemption from representative football, the 28-year-old says he is more eager than ever to run out for the Blues.

"I'm available," Lyon said Tuesday.

"Queensland have won the last few years and definitely we're looking to turn the tables on them. Matabele of silvertails infamy can skite all he wants but we're coming to get those Cane Toads and I'm happy to lead the charge."

But not just content on staking his claim for a NSW jersey, Lyon is looking to translate his newly-granted leadership of Manly into the representative arena.

"There's a few candidates there but if they wanted to give an old fella a go, I'd sure like to have a run," he said of the NSW captaincy.

At the end of last year's series, Lyon speculated he may try to seek exemption from representative football again this year, saying he didn't know whether he would carry on as: "I'm getting a bit older now."

But the boy from Wee Waa seems to have found some new motivation.

The Blues' captaincy is tipped to be up for grabs with the 2009 captain and Knights fullback Kurt Gidley expected to lose his starting spot to last year's Dally M medal winner Jarryd Hayne.

However with a lack of alternatives, Lyon looks to be one of the frontrunners if the position opens up, while Eels second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh has expressed interest in leading NSW despite his omission from last year's series.

Lyon has relished the opportunity of co-captaining the Sea Eagles with prop Jason King after Matt Orford left the club at the end of last season.

Rookie five-eighth Kieran Foran was spruiking Lyon's leadership qualities at Manly's training session on Tuesday, saying he leads from the front.

"He's thriving on it," he said.

"He's a great leader and that's how he plays on the field, he leads by example."

Adam Lucius sportal.com.au

Two years ago he pleaded with selectors not to pick him - now Manly's Jamie Lyon could complete a remarkable about-face by being chosen to skipper NSW in this year's State of Origin series against Queensland.

The Sea Eagles co-captain has emerged as a surprise candidate to lead his state as selectors desperately search for the right man to spearhead the Blues' revival after four straight series defeats.

Incumbent NSW captain Kurt Gidley is yet to play a game this year and, if fit, is likely to come off the bench for Origin I on May 26, realistically ruling him out as captain.

Cronulla captain Trent Barrett is no certainty to be picked after struggling for form with the bottom-of-the-table Sharks, while Brett Kimmorley and Nathan Hindmarsh are up for the job but must also force their way into the side.

Robbie Farah captains the Tigers but first must unseat Michael Ennis from the hooking role, with the campaign to install Mitchell Pearce as skipper expected to fail.

That leaves Lyon as a prime contender.

"There's a few candidates there but if they wanted to give an old fella a job I'd have a run," Lyon said on Tuesday.

"I haven't really thought about it but if it popped up I think anyone would want to take it."

"It's been good (co-captaining Manly). I would have liked a couple more wins but it's been enjoyable."

Manly coach and former NSW Origin representative Des Hasler endorsed the push for Lyon to lead the Blues.

Hasler told Sportal: "Jamie's in good form, he's well respected and he'd do a bloody good job if picked as captain."

"He's doing a great job for us as co-captain with Jason King and he'd have no problem handling the role at Origin level."

"Anyone who makes it to State of Origin is a leader in his own right and Jamie certainly fits into that category."

"People forget he’s been playing first grade since he was 18 so he's very experienced."

"Nothing fazes him, he takes it all in his stride."

"On current form you'd suggest he'd be picked in the side so you'd think he'd have to come under consideration (for the captaincy)."

NSW selector and ex-NSW captain Laurie Daley added: "Certainly Jamie's form this season has been strong and he is captaining Manly - that is an advantage but not a necessity."

"There is plenty of time before we have to name our captain."

"It is a prestigious position and I am sure they will make the right choice."

"In the end it will be decision for the NSWRL board and for (coach) Craig Bellamy."

QLD have a super backline this year, but NSW might catch up with the Likes of the Morris bros, Jennings and Bird in contention.

The NSW backrow should be stronger than usual with Choc and co. This might be the turn around for NSW.

And not good for us through this series.  Choc, Lyon, Stewart and perhaps Kite.  Our team gutted. 

Matabele link said:
LOL  Let's pencil in a 5th series in a row for Queensland.  If Lyon was a Queenslander he'd never be considered for State duties again after previously trying to opt out.  I personally support his reasons for doing so, but it just wouldn't wash with the Queenslander mystique.  Captain!!!!

And Einstein was seen as rather dimwitted and lazy in school. Known to have no real potential and would never amount to anything.

I can't even see Lyon being picked.

The centres will be Jennings & a Morris. The 5/8 should be Mullen.

Throw in the other Morris, Hayne, Pearce/Wallis & a winger/fullback and there's the backline.

Where would you play Lyon? You'd have to drop either Mullen or Jennings.

Queesland wouldn't worry about his form.

They just pick the side they want & if that means picking from reserve grade, then that's what they'll do.

Duff link said:
I can't even see Lyon being picked.

The centres will be Jennings & a Morris. The 5/8 should be Mullen.

Throw in the other Morris, Hayne, Pearce/Wallis & a winger/fullback and there's the backline.

Where would you play Lyon? You'd have to drop either Mullen or Jennings.

The backline that should be picked

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Bird
7. Pearce/Wallace/Finch (i don't care they are all as bad as each other).

Nate link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=182869.msg257640#msg257640 date=1270014313]
I'd defo have the Morris boys on one side of the field as a wing/centre combo.

why?! They are clearly both better wingers then they are centres.
[/quote]

No way that can be said about Josh, he dominated the centres last season

Duff link said:
Queesland wouldn't worry about his form.

They just pick the side they want & if that means picking from reserve grade, then that's what they'll do.

They would worry, it is the reason that mug Webb isn't getting picked any more

Matabele link said:
They would pick Webb if they needed him and he would do the job.

You can use they when you are talking about someone else Mata. When u are talking about yourself, or something u associate your person with, it would probably be more appropriate to use we.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7