[Resurrected] News: Manlys battle to keep Jared signed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Is there anyone who believes Orford is worth the same money as was offered 4 years ago?  He s useful, but way past his prime, and arguably his prime was little more than adequate.

eggson link said:
Hall is 31 this year i think which is far too old which is a shame becaus ei really like the guy.  I think Le'Strange would be next to go if Hasler thinks Ballin can pull 80mins, but given the quicker pace of the game then probably not.

Having a bench hooker is a waste of 2 interchanges and reduces flexibility on the bench.

Nathan Friend  (Titans), Michael Ennis (Bulldogs) & Isaac De Gois( Newc)  Cameron Smith (Storm) & Robbie Farrah ( Tigers) all play 80 mins.

Erne, I've been posting the same for ages.  Ballin is meant to be super fit and Hasler has acknowledged he's an 80 minute player.  If this is right, then why doesn't he play him the full 80.  I'd give LeStrange a go at half. 

Glenn Hall is 28, not 31.

At the start of the season, I would have probably been happy to lose c couple of the younger guys in order to go very close to win the comp again this year, but with what has happened, I think it is time to lose Orford and one or two others to keep JWH, Foran etc.

Another year of rebuilding with a new half next year, and give 2011 a good crack again.

I'd definantly let Hall and Le Strange go

Both have served us well and i'll be sad to see hall leave.

But i think with Cuthbo, Hargraves and Williams coming through we need to let him go (in light of the cap)

I also think Foran could come into 5/8 next year with Bailey being our bench utility, meaning LeStrange is  surplus

Disco, Hall is better value than Princess, so why not call for her release as she's costing more than Hall.  She can go off and complete her law degree.  I'm not convinced about Williams either.  Maybe his fitness is an ongoing concern.  I'd give LeStrange a few games at half to see if he's got any potential and definitely keep Hall.

Canteen Worker link said:
Why would Foran go to the Rorters with Anasta and Pearce established as the halves? Dumb move.

If it comes from reyam it has a 1% chance of being on the money

Cliffy Gc link said:
the foran thing is interesting
his mothers partner is the roosters recruitman boss i forget his  name but he used to be at the storm

O'Sullivan.

And yeah, I've heard that as well.

Always hoped it wouldn't affect Kieran's future at Manly. I suppose the best thing for Manly is that Kieran is not off contract at the end of the year (I believe he is off contract at the end of next year?)

Roosters already have plenty of halves depth though. Pearce is signed long-term. They've got Carney signed (pending a few things, mainly NRL approval), Anasta is there for a while, Setaimata Sa is rated highly as a five-eighth/lock, Ben Jones was their next big thing...

From what I have read/heard, if Foran leaves us he will end up at the Warriors. However that is not looking massively likely at the moment with Liam playing off the bench in the reserve grade side

DSM5 link said:
Disco, Hall is better value than Princess, so why not call for her release as she's costing more than Hall.  She can go off and complete her law degree.   I'm not convinced about Williams either.  Maybe his fitness is an ongoing concern.  I'd give LeStrange a few games at half to see if he's got any potential and definitely keep Hall.

First you have orford out of the club and now King.  You really have no idea how much of a leader Jason is amongst our forwards.  So much so that we would not have won the competition without him.

Hall has had one good year in fifty and you want to keep the old hack.  Get rid of him now as he is useless. 

How could le strange be a half back when he doesn't even have a kicking game?  And Williams is a million times better than Bani who never puts his body on the line.  Has Bani even made a line break this year?  I haven't seen one.

My thoughts on next year:-

01. Brett Stewart (easy one)
02. Michael Robertson (Michael Bani released)
03. Steve Matai (easy one)
04. William Hopoate (18 then - should be ok)
05. David Williams (needs to improve and walk the walk)
06. Jamie Lyon (made captain, and offered big money extension)
07. Tim Smith or Todd Carney (Smith is going great guns in the UK)
08. Josh Perry (needs to look at himself. Player releases may scare him
09. Matt Ballin (80 minute Hooker now)
10. Brent Kite (like Perry, needs to improve)
11. Anthony Watmough (Continue to improve like he is)
12. Jared W-Hargraves (should have good impact, and add aggression)
13. Glenn Stewart (easy one)

14. Chris Bailey (utility player - Le'Strange released)
15. Adam Cuthbertson (easy one)
16. Glenn Hall (Better than King. Rose released. Mauro to get a shot)
17. Tony Williams (Hopefully gets match fitness)

Therefore, gone are Orford, King, Rose, Le'Strange & Bani. That's $700k - $800k to buy / upgrade Hall, Hargraves, Williams, Robertson and to buy a 1/2 back for say $250k - $300k per season.

Alternatively, I play Foran at 1/2 back (he's definitely the best junior 1/2 or 5/8 we have), and use the huge extra dollars saves to buy Justin Poore, and I release Hall, with Perry back to the bench.

LoL - I've been thinking about this since round 3 !!

I have been harping on this since the GF - we will lose a good 5 to 6 players. Rumores are already there

JWH - Rooters
Foran - Rooters
Wolfman - Sharks
Hall - Bulldogs
Orford - England

We are going to be weaker next year than we are now - thats scarey.
Have a look at the Tigers of 2005 - we look so much like them and it has taken them 3 years plus to get back there.
Also you will have the Sharks that have $1.6million to spend next year and we need to cut down players because of last years GF and new test players coming through.

According to MWSE Hall and King have the exact same birth date, unless it is a typo then the old hack thing doesn't really stick.

willstyles link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=180311.msg221736#msg221736 date=1241569172]
the foran thing is interesting
his mothers partner is the roosters recruitman boss i forget his  name but he used to be at the storm

O'Sullivan.

And yeah, I've heard that as well.

Always hoped it wouldn't affect Kieran's future at Manly. I suppose the best thing for Manly is that Kieran is not off contract at the end of the year (I believe he is off contract at the end of next year?)

Roosters already have plenty of halves depth though. Pearce is signed long-term. They've got Carney signed (pending a few things, mainly NRL approval), Anasta is there for a while, Setaimata Sa is rated highly as a five-eighth/lock, Ben Jones was their next big thing...
[/quote]

I think his connection with O'Sullivan makes it less likely that he would end up atthe Roosters

Forward don't peak till they reach their late 20's. Keep Hall. Keep everyone, jsut got to have some of the players accept less slighlty pay.

I think people just think its easy to just cut players. you do realise we have to pay em out?

I mean sure we can cut Bani, but if nobody picks him up then we have to pay his full value out, meaning we wouldnt have extra cash for robbo etc.

So i stand by the fact that Hall and LeStrange should go, and if one of Robbo or Williams go then so be it

A side next year with 3 losses could be

1.Stewart
2.Hoppoate
3.Lyon
4.Matai
5.Williams/Robbo
6.Foran
7.Orford
8.Kite
9.Ballin
10.Perry
11.Watmough
12.Rodney
13.G Stewart

14.Bailey
15.King
16.Cuthbo
17.Hargraves

Depth

Bani
Suniala
Hodgekinson
T Williams
Rose

Good post Ryan.  A team to take us forward.  Rambo, from what I read in the papers no-one will be going to the Sharks next year or any future year, they're broke.  It's a pity they don't have a good half we could pick up.  I've been posting that the most important positions on the field are the 6,7,9, and 1 spots.  We struggle in all of them.  Unless the club assess the current players in those positions realistically, then the next two or three years will be grim.   

kingyfan link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180311.msg221767#msg221767 date=1241593692]
Disco, Hall is better value than Princess, so why not call for her release as she's costing more than Hall.  She can go off and complete her law degree.   I'm not convinced about Williams either.  Maybe his fitness is an ongoing concern.  I'd give LeStrange a few games at half to see if he's got any potential and definitely keep Hall.

First you have orford out of the club and now King.  You really have no idea how much of a leader Jason is amongst our forwards.  So much so that we would not have won the competition without him.

[/quote]
hahahaha

His leadership skills show, he is leading by example and the rest of the forwards are following with equally poor performances

Ok i guess i was wrong - Hall is 28.  whichever commentator or report said he was 30/31 must have been given the wrong stats.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2