News: Manly claim Northern Sydney heartland

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>CONVINCED that arch rivals, the North Sydney Bears, are an extinct species, the Sea Eagles have started an extensive campaign to win the hearts and support of schoolchildren on the lower and upper north shore.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5344-manly-claim-northern-sydney-heartland.html">Read the full article</a>

Pity this stuff is only in the Manly Daily.  I get heartily sick of reading about the doings of Souffs and Tigers in the large dailies.

Who is Dean Webster, Martin Field, Jake Shearer, Brock Molan, Joey Matapuku and Curtis Johnston? And why are they accompanying Manly players to the schools in North West Sydney??

SwornEagle link said:
Who is Dean Webster, Martin Field, Jake Shearer, Brock Molan, Joey Matapuku and Curtis Johnston? And why are they accompanying Manly players to the schools in North West Sydney??

North Sydney Bears players. Bears trying to keep there old turf.

SwornEagle link said:

When Fitzroy died, the Swans paid their respects and buried Fitzroy, moving to Sydney and their new life. Pity the Bears can't bury the carcass with some dignity.

Rex link said:
[quote author=SwornEagle link=topic=186370.msg314253#msg314253 date=1296839985]

When Fitzroy died, the Swans paid their respects and buried Fitzroy, moving to Sydney and their new life. Pity the Bears can't bury the carcass with some dignity.
[/quote]

Fitzroy, I thought it was South Melbourne. I thought the Bulldogs were the new Fitzroy. Glad I dont follow that crap.

Manly, as well as all other clubs, need to not just be campaigning to get new supporters and keep the old, they need to be a lot more aggressive. Putting stuff up on websites doesn't cut the mustard anymore. Clubs need to be competitive on and off the field with diligent staff all around the club. Putting in the hard sell with determined efforts by all. Showing people that they can be a part of something special is the only way. Flying under the radar does not work anymore. It has come a long way since 08. There are more rivals to contend with. Players want more as well as the fans. I want more than a 1st grade game for my $25 when I go to the football. Clubs who pick up on this will succeed. The others will be left behind. It's time that clubs knew that they have to work hard for their supporters as they have a lot more options other than the fotty on a saturday night. If Manly really fought hard they can also get a few supporters from the coast.

eagleE link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186370.msg314257#msg314257 date=1296845766]
Fitzroy, I thought it was South Melbourne. I thought the Bulldogs were the new Fitzroy. Glad I dont follow that crap.
[/quote]

Sydney Swans are the relocated entity formerly known as South Melbourne. Fitzroy Lions basically folded and merged with the then Brisbane Bears to form what is now the Brisbane Lions. Footscray changed their name to Western Bulldogs.

One thing I don't get is how it keeps being reported that the Foran brothers are Norths juniors because they played for Asquith. Asquith is in the Manly junior comp, therefore they're Manly juniors.

Duff link said:
One thing I don't get is how it keeps being reported that the Foran brothers are Norths juniors because they played for Asquith. Asquith is in the Manly junior comp, therefore they're Manly juniors.

Asquith play in a combined Manly warringah/norths competiton from age 13 to A grade only because both norths and manly do not have sufficient teams in these grades to fill their own compettions.  Age 12 and under play in the norths comp.

The Foran;s are classified as norths juniors because they played flegg and matthews for norths.  Asquith juniors play for norths junior teams not manly's.  They did not play any junior grades for manly.

SwornEagle link said:

They are bringing out the big guns...

tookey link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186370.msg314280#msg314280 date=1296867375]

Asquith play in a combined Manly warringah/norths competiton from age 13 to A grade only because both norths and manly do not have sufficient teams in these grades to fill their own compettions.  Age 12 and under play in the norths comp.

The Foran;s are classified as norths juniors because they played flegg and matthews for norths.  Asquith juniors play for norths junior teams not manly's.  They did not play any junior grades for manly.

[/quote]

How can it be a combined comp? Norths have 2 teams, Asquith & Berowra. Manly have about 12.
The comp is the MWJRLFC. They play in the Manly comp because they have nobody else to play against. They're not there because we need the numbers.
If Norths don't want to run their own comp of 10 or so teams then I don't see what right they have to reclaim players from their former area once they get to senior rep age.

How can it be a combined comp? Norths have 2 teams, Asquith & Berowra. Manly have about 12.
The comp is the MWJRLFC. They play in the Manly comp because they have nobody else to play against. They're not there because we need the numbers.
If Norths don't want to run their own comp of 10 or so teams then I don't see what right they have to reclaim players from their former area once they get to senior rep age.

Norths have Asquith, Berowra, Hills Hawks, Pennant Hills, Hornsby, North Sydney and Willoughby. At a younger age a few of these teams have A and B teams aswell, the problem is at the age of 14-15+ many of these teams drop off and is usually left with Asquith, Berowra, Hills Hawks, Pennant Hills and North Sydney and its about the same number on the manly side and usually a comp of 10-12 teams. Basically both comps need each other but from what I hear the manly comp has the financial backing plus many people dont like Kevin Nicholls on the north sydney side (head of the junior north sydney base). Foran played for asquith mostly but played 2 years with north sydney brothers aswell.

Duff link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186370.msg314289#msg314289 date=1296875098]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So north's only have 2 teams?  Are you sure about that? 

seaeagles4life sets out the norths teams and there are a lot more than 2.

But don't let the truth spoil your post. 

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=SwornEagle link=topic=186370.msg314253#msg314253 date=1296839985]

They are bringing out the big guns...
[/quote]

True MM.Let's see them bring out their top 25 players.

tookey link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186370.msg314301#msg314301 date=1296886139]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've never seen or heard of those other clubs. I don't mind catching the odd A grade gamed & read the reports in the Daily. Don't "Penno" play in the Parra comp these days?
It'd be a pretty big comp if Norths have all those teams given that Manly has Avalon, Mona Vale, Narrabeen, Cromer, Narraweena, Curl Curl, Cove, Harbord/Valley, Belrose, Forrestville, St Augustines, Brothers and any I may have forgotten.

Duff link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186370.msg314326#msg314326 date=1296939847]
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186370.msg314301#msg314301 date=1296886139]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've never seen or heard of those other clubs. I don't mind catching the odd A grade gamed & read the reports in the Daily. Don't "Penno" play in the Parra comp these days?
It'd be a pretty big comp if Norths have all those teams given that Manly has Avalon, Mona Vale, Narrabeen, Cromer, Narraweena, Curl Curl, Cove, Harbord/Valley, Belrose, Forrestville, St Augustines, Brothers and any I may have forgotten.
[/quote]

As i said earlier once it gets to U14s+ many teams drop off including many of those manly teams you just named. 5 or 6 years ago when i was playing U16 the manly teams were Cromer, Avalon, Belrose, Harbord and Narrabeen. Im pretty sure Penno Stags still play in the combined Norths/Manly comp if im not mistaken. In the younger ages Manly and Norths have enough teams to play in their own comps.

Fair enough. Times may have changed but that doesn't mean I have to accept it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the SCG to see Newtown play Balmain in the match of the day.

Duff link said:
Fair enough. Times may have changed but that doesn't mean I have to accept it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the SCG to see Newtown play Balmain in the match of the day.

A much better match would be Manly v Norths at NSO.    

The first scrum is sure to end up in an all in brawl.  Good value.   ;D

Why just stop at Asquith, Hornsby and Berowra why aren't we at Erina, Terrigal, Gosford city and taking all which is rightfully ours. We should be doing everything possible to take the entire North side of Sydney from the harbour bridge to Lake Munmorrah. North Sydney Bears are a rotting carcass that needs to be buried forever. if the NRL wants to expand then Perth, Adelaide, Wagga or Central Queensland Coast are the places they need to go to. Central coast is not an expansion most people up there moved out of Sydney metro and already have a team they support and its hardly a big deal to come down from Gosford to Sydney to see a game.

mickqld link said:
Why just stop at Asquith, Hornsby and Berowra why aren't we at Erina, Terrigal, Gosford city and taking all which is rightfully ours. We should be doing everything possible to take the entire North side of Sydney from the harbour bridge to Lake Munmorrah. North Sydney Bears are a rotting carcass that needs to be buried forever. if the NRL wants to expand then Perth, Adelaide, Wagga or Central Queensland Coast are the places they need to go to. Central coast is not an expansion most people up there moved out of Sydney metro and already have a team they support and its hardly a big deal to come down from Gosford to Sydney to see a game.

Going after the North Shore is all politics, it send the message that even if Norths get back in they don't get the North Shore. We go after the CC at the moment and it looks mean spirited and would make a lot of bad press up there, it would be counter productive.

After they fail to get in then we take the CC, perhaps a deal with Newcastle where we split it down the middle is in order.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6