News: Manly on wrong path, says referees boss

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE NRL's referees boss Robert Finch says Manly is out of step in criticising the league's new two-referee system. <p>The premier hit out at the move, claiming it had confused the club in the surprise 34-12 loss to the Bulldogs on Saturday night.</p> <p>"Two referees? I'm not a fan," coach Des Hasler offered before he was even asked about the move.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/manly-on-wrong-path-says-referees-boss.html">Read the full article</a>

Des is right in questioning areas he doesn't understand and if it is confusing our players then we need to get the information. One thing is certain - it isn't going to go away and the sooner we adapt to it the better.

The powers to be dont like any questioning of thier "authority" do they?  I think they call that a dictatorship, banning comment (as above) jailing opponents (banning of stewart) etc etc

perhaps we just need to face the fact that 2 refs doesn't suit the way Manly plays. If you infringe in the ruck its gonna hurt you. Melb. didn't get off that lightly either. But yeah giving away so many penalities makes it hard to win...

All other teams played two trials under the two ref thing.  I'm not a fan either as I think it just confuses the game, but it's here.  That was like our first trial.  We'll learn.  It's an interesting thing that the NRL can criticise when it likes, but it doesn't like it when its criticized.  The should toughen up. 

I find it hard to believe a football team is so clean skinned is those conditions not to have given away a single penalty in the first half.

What was the count again? 6 - 0 to the dogs after 40? In that kind of rain your never going to win a contest with possession and feild position stacked against you.

Then in the second half, when the refs had a chance to talk to each other about was to watch, all concistency went out the window. Ref A tells Ref B, watch for this, ive noticed a lot of it, and therefore ref B doesn't ref the second half in the same fassion as the first. Making it unbalanced and total horse ****.

Des needs to get over this mental block very quickly, or we will be 3 or four games without a win.

The days of muscle in the ruck to slow things down are over; he needs to get some plans in place for the new style of quick play the ball.

I think the two refs will work and I found it quite good in all other games.

We seemed to get penalised more than we deserved but maybe that's our style of play.

I've been told many times that we were infringing the ruck constantly last year and that's why we won it...... I don't really believe that but with the two refs scrutinizing the ruck area more I think it will block out the value of the "big man"

If they keep it up I think the little blokes will run riot and I believe teams like Tigers, Souths, Titans etc will relish it.

It would be interesting to see how many 'dominant' calls were made on the weekend in comparison to last year, fewer I suspect.  And I agree Nutz, Des needs to look at the tackling style.  Maybe Kite needs to stay out and not come in as the third man.  He gave away more than his share.  Small men have always come into their own before a tiring pack.  But Souths small men, Sandow and the rest will have to be watched closely by teams that rely on forward power.

Good on Des for putting his concerns forward he has every right to ask.

I'm not a fan of the two Ref system although it is only early days and good points Flip.

Also i watched the match between Warriors v Eels and in one play the Eels had the ball and lost it then regained the ball one Ref ruled it was a knock on and the other Ref said play on and it ended up being a scrum feed to the Warriors.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2