News: Manly owners counting losses

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
<strong>MANLY'S poor start to the season is set to increase the pressure on the uneasy relationship between co-owners Max Delmege and Scott Penn.</strong>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/manly-owners-counting-losses.html">Read the full article</a>

I actually find it hard to believe the size of the crowd on Friday night. The supporters must be incredibly disillusioned not to show up for such a big clash (for the record I was there). There should have been another 8,000 @ a minimum $25 and that is $200,000+ dropped. If they won't show up for that one then it makes the numbers very shaky whatever Grant puts up.

Talking to fans all over the peninsula there are a number of things that have left them disheartened:
- the original public airing of Max's owed monies, which most believe should have been kept private in respect of what he did for the club.
- the way the season launch degenerated. At the time I knew it was a media beat-up, but consider all the facts and it is hard to get away from how badly it was all handled.
- the loss of Snake, the did he/didn't he, the suspension and now the injury.
- the dramatic fall from form. From champs to chumps with almost no real explanation except that they don't want it enough.
- the on-going boardroom saga, now in it's fourth month (or is it longer?)

Every other team's supporters are revelling in our demise and loving to tell us all about every news snippet that paints us in a poor light. If it wasn't for Sticky and the gummies we would still be the target of choice. They probably haven't forgiven themselves for actually supporting us last GF.

That is a lot to get over for the local should I/shouldn't I go to the game crowd. It is going to take a great deal to get them back. The Board needs to understand that it is now a very long road and it will take leadership and harmony from them to get it started.

I think the problem with the Storm game is that 99% of fans new we wouldn't win, which makes it pretty difficult to turn up to.

Plus, getting onto the Beaches in peak on a Friday is just crap. It took me 50 minutes to go from Roseville to Brookvale.

ManlyBacker link said:
I actually find it hard to believe the size of the crowd on Friday night. The supporters must be incredibly disillusioned not to show up for such a big clash (for the record I was there). There should have been another 8,000 @ a minimum $25 and that is $200,000+ dropped. If they won't show up for that one then it makes the numbers very shaky whatever Grant puts up.

Talking to fans all over the peninsula there are a number of things that have left them disheartened:
- the original public airing of Max's owed monies, which most believe should have been kept private in respect of what he did for the club.
- the way the season launch degenerated. At the time I knew it was a media beat-up, but consider all the facts and it is hard to get away from how badly it was all handled.
- the loss of Snake, the did he/didn't he, the suspension and now the injury.
- the dramatic fall from form. From champs to chumps with almost no real explanation except that they don't want it enough.
- the on-going boardroom saga, now in it's fourth month (or is it longer?)

Every other team's supporters are revelling in our demise and loving to tell us all about every news snippet that paints us in a poor light. If it wasn't for Sticky and the gummies we would still be the target of choice. They probably haven't forgiven themselves for actually supporting us last GF.

That is a lot to get over for the local should I/shouldn't I go to the game crowd. It is going to take a great deal to get them back. The Board needs to understand that it is now a very long road and it will take leadership and harmony from them to get it started.

You've hit the nail on the head. I live in the riverina and don't get many chances to go to games. I've been to a couple in Canberra which is 3 hours away. I've been a Manly supporter for 40 odd years through thick and thin. I've not given up on the team but I'm absolutely disgusted with our co-owners airing their differences through the media.

It started before the boys went to the UK, while they were there they were insulated from all the drammas, but when they got back it affected them. Firstly the bickering by co-owners in the press, the "sacking" of Mayer, not initially extending Des's contract, the hijacking of the sponsorship announcement, the season lauch that went horribly wrong, the media witch hunt and so on. It has just snowballed and has turned, what should of been a year with the team basking in glory, into a trainwreck.

Budgeting for a full house is poor form, the budget should have been based on a combination of the average over the last 5 years against the storm and last years crowd.

In the end though, the club is there for the supporters. If they're too weak & fickle to support the club through rough times, then the results of that can rest on their heads. I'd like to think that we have the depth to carry the club through, but if not, I know where I lay the blame.

MB this is crap.  Friday night at Brookvale is horrible.  It's impossible to get there after working in the city or South.  Getting over the bridge is a nightmare on Friday.  By the time one gets home, changes out of the suit or whatever, eats, there's no time to get there.  No-one would want to eat the rubbish at the prices or quality at Brookvale.  Friday night at Brookie has always been problematic.  If you think that 16000 people would get there you are delusional.  And the Storm have no supporters in Sydney to swell the numbers.  Friday night game should be at the SFS.  If the club was budgetting on 15 thousand plus they are on another planet.  Saturday night or Sunday afternoon is the go.  Friday and Monday night football at Brookvale is ridiculous.  Anyway Chanel 9 rule the game so they don't care either way.   

Kick-off is 7.40pm DSM5.
Suggestions:
have a big lunch, take a change of clothes, pack le snack, leave work early, leave work later, eat a hot dog and some chips for a change, or phone Grant and get him to arrange games near a park where you live and swallow a teaspoon of concrete.
You don't like Friday night games - I got it last time you posted these thoughts. But plenty work and live on the peninsula, have dinner before 6pm and would have decided that hauling the kids out under this year's circumstances wasn't a good idea. If we had won 4 from 7, no major off-field or on-field dramas and the Storm came to town for a GF replay then yes I would expect a big crowd. It is Friday night with Saturday to wake up to, not a working Tuesday.

MB all your suggestions are fine for the committed, not for the fan who might think of attending on an irregular basis.  The GF 'rematch' argument was dead after our fourth loss and our terrible form.  You're right, I don't like Friday or Monday night matches at suburban grounds, they're wet, dank, toilets are bad, food terrible, but a joy to be at on a Sunday afternoon.       

How can you bag Brookie DSM?
I travel to a lot of away games (some even on Fridays, wow!) and the grounds are never as good as Brookie. Leichhardt is the only one that comes close.

All this BS about toilets & food is an excuse to cover the can't-be-arsed attitude of Manly fans. At the end of the day, we're there to watch football & the best view is at Brookvale. You're close to the action, you can stand up rather than sending your backside to sleep on a horrible plastic chair and the best part of all is that you can plonk yourself right on the 50m line with just a GA ticket. Even the beer queue is located so that you can still watch the action.

No more Brookie bashing or we'll end up with a pile of crap like Parra stadium.

Duff, I agree.  I'm not bagging Brookie for day games.  It's only when it's wet, the place is dank.  The food's crap as well.  And I was replying to those who bemoan the poor crowds on Friday and Monday night games.  These are legitimate reasons, especially bringing kids.  I actually attend all games in all weather, night and day and live in the inner west.  I pick up the others from town and drive across the bridge.  If I had responsibilities at home, then that would be out of the question.  On weekday nights, it's the kid thing that stops parents from attending and suppresses the crowd numbers.. 

Apparently a new company has picked up the contract for supplying the food & drink at Brooky.

Not sure if the food quality has changed at all but the beer was actually cold.

First time the beer was cold for this year Wolfpack. It was a Friday night and quite coolish so it was not surprising they got it right, although I was surprised at the time. I had a hotdog and chips and they were ok, a 4 out of 10. Someone next to me had fish and chips and I think they said it was $8.50 and edible, but didn't look too enthused. I don't know whether anything can be done to up the quality based in little vans as they are but it is a long way from value for money.

I heard the company that had the catering contract for Auschwitz won the brookie contract
hahahaha

DSM5 link said:
Duff, I agree.  I'm not bagging Brookie for day games.  It's only when it's wet, the place is dank.  The food's crap as well.  And I was replying to those who bemoan the poor crowds on Friday and Monday night games.  These are legitimate reasons, especially bringing kids.  I actually attend all games in all weather, night and day and live in the inner west.  I pick up the others from town and drive across the bridge.  If I had responsibilities at home, then that would be out of the question.  On weekday nights, it's the kid thing that stops parents from attending and suppresses the crowd numbers.. 

Only when its wet!  Football is a winter sport in case you had forgotten.  If you have ever eaten at the leagues club then you wouldn't complain about the food at the ground.  

Real supporters attend no matter what the weather and conditions.  You don't see Kingy complaining about the weather being too hot or too cold or too wet.  

What Manly really needs is about 25,000 suporters with the toughness of Jason King.  Then they would sit on the hill in the pouring rain eating cold pies and drinking warm beer but you wouldn't hear one complaint from them other than to complain that the council should remove the roofs off the stands and let the weather hit them harder.      

kingyfan link said:
You don't see Kingy complaining about the weather being too hot or too cold or too wet.  What Manly really needs is about 25,000 suporters with the toughness of Jason King.  Then they would sit on the hill in the pouring rain eating cold pies and drinking warm beer but you wouldn't hear one complaint from them

Except perhaps that the rain would muck up the process of painting our toe-nails....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2