News: Manly side one of all-time best

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<span class="story-summary-bold"> IN a startling declaration, former Great Britain and Penrith star Mike Stephenson yesterday rated Manly among the best club sides ever and compared the Sea Eagles to Australia's unbeaten 1982 Kangaroos. </span> <p>After watching Manly defeat Leeds Rhinos 28-20 to secure the World Club Challenge yesterday morning, Stephenson claimed Manly had revolutionised rugby league and were a "revelation".</p> <p>He also claimed the current side to be the best in Manly's 62-year history.\ </p> <p>Stephenson, who played with Penrith between 1974 and 1978, raved about Manly's win at Elland Road before 32,569 fans.</p>"Manly has changed the whole way rugby league is being played," Stephenson said. "They have revolutionised the game. They are a revelation and have taken rugby league to a new level. I remember the 'Invincibles' here in 1982 with Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling and Wayne Pearce. What Manly produced against Leeds, I think they equalled them.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/manly-side-one-of-all-time-best.html">Read the full article</a>

Reading this article reminds me of a phrase that you hear after the grand final win last year

"you guys, your skill level is so high" . Laurie Daley speaking to Snake about Des Hasler coaching if i remember correctly. This is coming from the 5/8th of one of the teams mentioned in the article.

It is a testament to the hard work ethic that Des instills in the team. The combinations that we saw last year in the finals were amazing. There is a pattern that appears in these games. Rough it out with them using a superior forward pack, then throw the ball around  10mins either side of half time and before they wake up manly have scored 2-3 tries in some cases. Or in the case of the GF storm were never allowed to wake up.

Be great to see a week in weekout performance this year. Everyone remembers that Rabbitohs game.

Are they one of the Best all-time? It is going to be interesting to see. There is a lot of skill in the forwards and alot of hard work in the backs. Can't ****ing wait for the news headlines this times next year "Undistibuted best team in the world, EVER".

Zep link said:
\"you guys, your skill level is so high\" . Laurie Daley speaking to Snake about Des Hasler coaching if i remember correctly.

Watch the replay again.  Have a gander at Daley's strained, false smile in the interview as he tries to hide how shattered he is about Manly winning... especially with Daley's prime target for abuse, Ox, putting on the decisive plays "when the game was in the balance".

Best ever? I have been asking myself that lately as I look at the way the boys easily dominate.

We had a couple of poor results last year, but overall there is a style of play we have developed that just looks a long way ahead of almost every team.

Outside of the obvious individual talents we have I believe it comes down to 2 things.
1. Our player recruitment and retention staff
2. Our coaching staff led by Des

These two areas have been building and are nothing short of brilliant atm.

When we look at this team as one of the best it occurs to me that it is certainly beyond the sum of the players and goes to the whole club. On that basis they could be close to that tag.

If they go back to back then they are right up there with 1972/73 side and arguably in front as that side was built with Arkos cheque book rather than Des' astute coaching/recruitment & fitness skills.

In comparison with the mid-90's side:
1. The defense is not there yet. That 90's side was inpenatrable, practically impossible to score tries against. While we already have the best defense in the NRL, it can still improve a touch. There was not a single defensive liability in our 90's side.
2. The attack is where the comparisons get interesting. You could definitely argue that our back 3 of Stewart/Williams/Robertson is more potent than Ridge/Hoppa/Moore/Hancock. Stewart certainly is a class above in attack. The Centers prob cancel eachother out. Whilst the current back row of Stewart and Watmough can score from anywhere on the field, Kosef/Gartner were no mugs either, but not as potent as the beforementioned. And the 90's side had the lethal Lyons-Beaver combo. Close call.

Can anyone share a copy of the 96GF?

Great team. Hard to compare at this stage. We had the best team for 3 years, ...95, 96 & 97. No question. 1 GF all to show.

The current team rocks. So many options. Best of all time?  Let's win the next one or two, and yes.....we could be considered the best of all time, not only for Manly, for the NRL.

PS .. Did ya see Menzies during the WCC? You could see that he was wantin' to play. Must have killed him...... Champion. Long live beaver....

cheech link said:
Can anyone share a copy of the 96GF?

Great team. Hard to compare at this stage. We had the best team for 3 years, ...95, 96 & 97. No question. 1 GF all to show.

The current team rocks. So many options. Best of all time?  Let's win the next one or two, and yes.....we could be considered the best of all time, not only for Manly, for the NRL.

PS .. Did ya see Menzies during the WCC? You could see that he was wantin' to play. Must have killed him...... Champion. Long live beaver....

I have it somewhere mate. Leanne "cleaned up" which means it could be anywhere....... I will look for it and copy it for you

Sorry man....beers are a wonderful/terrible pastime.

Your site rocks. One of a few in my modzilla favourites. That 90's team were the best. 2 GF's would have done me.Not to be though.....

I will have a search tomorrow during my lunch break tomorrow and let you know I am pretty sure I know where it is. Then I will either upload it somewhere or PM you for your address

It's everyones site mate, not mine. I see it as a community thing rather than my site.

Maybe I should set up a Buy/Sell/trade area for people put up any collectables or games etc they are looking for

Manly won 15 straight in 1997?

Manly are currently have 9 wins on the trot?

Rate players 1 to 1 and the mid 90 generation is better. This team as a whole could be better.

Can't wait for the season start.

Dan, there is no "I" in "team"

..The Manly ethos

96..unbeaten until the sharks at brookie in round 20 ish.. Only lost 2 all year. Great team.
Am loving that we are formidable again...been a long time

I think the current side is a star team rather than a team of stars. The way they combine together and play the game makes them stronger than the sum of the parts. They have great confidence, players that complement each other and good backup in most positions.

I don't measure greatness on the win - loss ration in a season but more in the ability to win the games that count, and last season we certainly did that.

To rate them up with the best sides ever will take at least another season!!! After all Roosters, Storm and Dogs all dominated over 3 years or so and could only win one big game.

My memories of the late 70's side are tainted by the hero worship that comes with youth. Back then, to me they were giants among men with magical powers to boot.

So armed with a more critical eye it is appropriate to compare the 90's side to the current one. IMO the mid 95-97 side is still the best ever, they dominated the competiton and every time they ran out you expected them to win. They started favourites for 3 GF's in a row. The current side hasn't reached that status in my mind yet. If they string together a season of performances like they have shown in their last 4 games then they may be hard to deny in the "best ever" stakes, but they're not there yet. A little too inconsistent last year for my liking, they lost 7 games remember.

Both very good sides and you'd love to put a hybrid side together out of them. Imagine the mercurial Cliffy at 5/8 with this side. Both awesome forward packs, but I reckon I'd still have Kosef, Gartner and Menzies over Stewart, Watmough and Hall, that 90's backrow still gives me goosebumps. I reckon Stuey would shade out Ridge, but how do you choose between Hill/Innes and Lyon/Matai, both such solid defensive centre pairings with the ability to bust the line. Imagine if you could have all 4 of Cement, Spud, Kite and Perry in your side....brutal.

Some good points have been raised, and i agree that they must do it again this year to be considered up there with the best.

My hybrid team from the '96 and '08 Grand Final would be;

1.  M Ridge (g/k)
2.  M Robertson
3.  T Hill
4.  J Lyon
5.  B Stewart
6.  C Lyons
7.  M Orford (vc)
8.  M Carroll
9.  G Toovey (c)
10. B Kite
11. S Menzies
12. A Watmough
13. N Kosef

14. M Ballin
15. D Gillespie
16. J Perry
17. G Stewart

That's a side!
I had to pick Ridge at fullback because i had to have him in the side somewhere. Ridgey was safe as a house and his goal kicking can't be ignored.

Toovey Hooker, Orford Halfback, i believe both had to be in the team.
Besides that gives us a Dally M halves combination with Lyons and Orford.

I found the centre's and backrow the hardest to pick. Innes was just pipped by Lyon, i think Lyon has a bit more attacking flair. Matai is too much of a Liability and Hill is a must for me, his intimidation, sledging and defence.

Backrow, i couldn't fit Gartner in, i think Glenn's '08 G.F. performance could have won him the Clive Churchill medal and that won him a bench spot over Gartner.

Mat Ballin got the utility spot over Jim Sedaris, i think Balin provides another backrow option if not needed at hooker.

What do you think, what would you have ?

I loved Innes. He was so solid, he was a huge part of our success back then. I would have to squeeze him in somewhere.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7