News: Manly to lock in Hoppa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The one factor which I hadn't really considered too much which has me feeling better is that he is apparently keen to hang around and be with his younger brothers who are coming up through the ranks as well.

I love the quote he's used a few time about his old man. That he was a "crash test dummy" so he's made all the mistakes for him.

The exciting thing is, from all reports, jamil who is next in line is a better player than William was at that age !!

Kiwi Eagle said:
Tyran Smith is the only concern for me I suppose, he had 7 clubs and wasn't shy of moving around

I think that was more a case of him being a journeyman in terms of talent, not so much his ability to negotiate better deals.

Kiwi Eagle said:
The exciting thing is, from all reports, jamil who is next in line is a better player than William was at that age !!

Wouldn't it be great to have a dynasty of Hopoate talent.

excellent work Lowie of gtrue - looking forward to many great signings over the rest of the year including possibly a majpr sponsor or two

There is an article in todays SMH which almost makes me ill. Says the Eels will target him and have plenty of money under the cap, the Dogs will offer 400k and the Dragons will also make a bid.

Come on PLEASE get it done.

I have the feeling he will be gone.

With the amount of cap they would take up, I think there should only be room for three of Hoppa, Snake, Lyon and Matai.

I'm 99% sure Lyon and Stewart aren't going anywhere.
Matai stayed on the cheap, we get good value out of him.
That leaves Hoppa, if he's being offered 400k then we can't afford to shell that out for a winger, a centre or fullback is worth it, that means moving someone else on to play him there.

Something's got to give if he is to stay.

There is no way in the world anyone is going to be paying him 400k. Those figures are rubbish for a guy in his first season, and there isn't a club who would pay it, not even close.

KE, John Hopoate is also a partner in Tyran Smith's Player Management company, so I don't believe that William will leave the Sea Eagles.

Masked Eagle said:
The one factor which I hadn't really considered too much which has me feeling better is that he is apparently keen to hang around and be with his younger brothers who are coming up through the ranks as well.

I love the quote he's used a few time about his old man. That he was a "crash test dummy" so he's made all the mistakes for him.

Yeah, crash test dummies don't deliberately stick their finger in the cigarette lighter hole!

No need for panic here, there is nothing surer in this world than William Hopoate re-signing with the Eagles. Watch this space, a deal WILL be done inside a month.

I have a feeling his dad will have the last say in regards to this...and John loved/loves this club. William will be staying at Brookvale. He will get a pay rise to 200,000 or more and it won't be as much as the other clubs offer him. However, we will give him the ability to live at home, look after the family, stay in a maroon and white jumper, and most importantly, give him opportunities in the fullback position with one of the best in the history of this game training him on a weekly basis (Brett).

Think about it, of the clubs that want him, only the Dragons will have an open fullback position and even that has been reserved for Nightingale (and he deserves it as well). Parra has Hayne, Dogs have Barba, Knights will have Boyd. He will be pushed into the position of centre or wing at any club...and for 400,000 for a position like that? In all honesty I'd prefer to try to retain Oldfield and Buhrer for 300,000 (overall for both that is) than waste 400,000 on one player. You reserve 400,000 for your internationals, not an 18 year old who in 4 years could be injured like Brett and costing us money.

Pay him 200,000 on a 2 year contract then up it to 300,000 at next negotiations. By then he'll be 20 years old and possibly our full time fullback.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6