News: Manly's porous defence hurting premiership defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Manly may be the NRL's defending premiers but defence is exactly where the Sea Eagles are going wrong in 2009. Forget the absence of 2008 NRL-leading tryscorer Brett Stewart, the Sea Eagles have not won a game this year because their once fortress-like defence has become a turnstile.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Sea-Eagles/manlys-porous-defence-hurting-premiership-defence.html">Read the full article</a>

Here are the not so pretty facts:

2009            2008
DEFENCE
Metres conceded per game: 1345 (16th) 1185.1 (1st)
Linebreaks conceded per game: 5 (16th) 3.6 (3rd)
Missed tackles per game: 35.5 (16th) 33.7 (7th)
Points conceded per game: 24.5 (13th) 13.6 (2nd)

ATTACK
Metres gained per game: 1185.5 (11th) 1399.6 (1st)
Linebreaks per game: 3.5 (8th) 5.4 (1st)
Tackle breaks per game: 27 (10th) 39.1 (2nd)
Errors per game: 13 (8th) 10.9 (4th)

Our strength last season, and again in the WCC, was that we would absolutely smash teams over and over when they brought the ball up, this NRL season we have only seen a couple of big shots put on

Metres gained/conceded is the most worrying stat to come out of 2009 so far.

However, I'm not surprised by it at all. Since round one it has been pretty obvious that this is where we're well below par at the moment. We've got one of the best forward packs in the comp - they need to start playing to their potential, like they did last year when we flattened any pack that stepped up to us.

there just not going forward. If we lose again. the axe must be yielded. Promote Heagraves and bring back T Rex in the forwards for a bit of impetus.

JWH must be feeling a bit confused being the next big thing at the club and in a position where he cant even get a gig behind a pack producing those stats

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Our strength last season, and again in the WCC, was that we would absolutely smash teams over and over when they brought the ball up, this NRL season we have only seen a couple of big shots put on

KE - Spot on though i thought our forwards held their own against the Panthers in Rnd 3 that was the only game where i thought our pack really stood up to date.

we have an almost normal outside backs line, this week. I expect things to improve, otherwise I will have to start looking for another sport

Those stats align with our position on the table, turn them round & we will be back up there - easy said tha  done

Give the up and coming guys a chance if we lose this week, if we go down again there needs to be some serious ego denting done by the selectors.

In my opinion a loss this week should see certain senior players, particularly forwards running around up here in the sunshine state

Fluffy link said:
JWH must be feeling a bit confused being the next big thing at the club and in a position where he cant even get a gig behind a pack producing those stats
I agree and it makes me think the rumour of him leaving at the end of the year to be true,he is getting frustrated like us at Des and his blinkered approach with young players.All I will say is Des you were young once and could not get a go at penrith stop doing the same to our young talent

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4