News: Matai banned for seven matches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p class="first">Manly centre Steve Matai has been handed a seven-game ban by the NRL judiciary after pleading guilty to a grade three reckless tackle charge.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5133-matai-banned-for-seven-matches.html">Read the full article</a>

Manly coach Des Hasler admits Steve Matai will have to re-model his game to survive in the NRL after the fiery centre was rubbed out for seven games by the NRL judiciary on Tuesday.

Matai's long ban for his late and high hit on Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis adds to an already lengthy rap sheet.

Hasler feels the volatile Matai is paying an unfair price for previous indiscretions but concedes the Kiwi Test centre – and not the system – needs to change.

"Steve Matai in some circles has been vilified. Unfortunately Steve is a victim of the process," Hasler declared on Tuesday.

"At that stage (of the Ennis hit) he was trying to lift his team-mates and it was a tackle that went a bit wrong."

"That's the way Steve plays (but) it's something we will have to guard against and certainly work on and control."

Matai's charge would ordinarily have resulted in a four-match suspension but his poor disciplinary record meant that he risked a nine-game suspension if he'd taken his charge to the judiciary on Tuesday night and lost.

Four previous incidents including two similar ones in recent seasons meant that the points tally swelled to 960 but his decision not to contest reduces that to 720 before the addition of 16 carryover points.

He will not be permitted to use New Zealand's Four Nations matches to whittle away his suspension.

sportal.com.au

For an international who must have been aware of our injury problems to do such a reckless tackle before a possible semi, shows little sense and thought. He is becoming a liability.

Hopefully his new contract allows for salary to be deducted for every game he is suspended.

tookey link said:
Hopefully his new contract allows for salary to be deducted for every game he is suspended.

Stick by him no matter what,his a sea eagle for life
I wonder if Beaver had his judicial history you'd be talking such blasphemy

He ****ed up and he knows it,i dont think he'll do it that bad again and his anything but a liability

Do you guys really think it was that bad?

It looked to me like he collected Ennis with his shoulder.
That's unfortunate but can't be considered dirty.

I think Stevie's a victim of his own reputation.
Beaver would've got off if it was him.

Kingys was a high tackle. Swinging arm to the face. He deserved a week & I'm a Kingy fan. Steve's being victimised. If the tests don't count, that's 11 weeks. We're talking Eadie & Hoppa territory. Way, way, way overboard.

Eadie territory? What? Did you mean Les Boyd?
Agree though that Matai's reputation has made him a marked man with officials. He is very valuable in our team and he'll have to show he's a smart player now in order to stay viable in NRL.

Duff link said:
Do you guys really think it was that bad?

It looked to me like he collected Ennis with his shoulder.
That's unfortunate but can't be considered dirty.

I think Stevie's a victim of his own reputation.
Beaver would've got off if it was him.

Kingys was a high tackle. Swinging arm to the face. He deserved a week & I'm a Kingy fan. Steve's being victimised. If the tests don't count, that's 11 weeks. We're talking Eadie & Hoppa territory. Way, way, way overboard.

It is the pathetic system that has stuffed him

He got charged with the same as Petero, but it is this loading **** that got him all these points.

It wasn't a flash shot, but I suppose at least it came from the right place, he was out there trying to lift the lads up on his own, if anyone see's a replay watch the 5mins before this hit and the way he is running the ball and trying to put a shot on

KE, that is such dribble. Stop making excuses for a dumb human being.
Great footy player but dumb in the fact he has no idea how to control his aggression and handle himself on the field in given situations ie: walking away from the ref and pretending not to hear the ref shouting for him to come over for a chat.
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's one of my faves but no need to make excuses for dumb people.
Out.

the players know the system so whether it is perfect or not is niether here nor there.steve must have known he would get 6+ for his next offence and still did it.stupid stuff in R26.

However i havent written off his chances of toning it down.have spoken to him a couple of times and he does not seem to be an idiot to me.i have a feeling he is in for a big year next year.

WAMF link said:
KE, that is such dribble. Stop making excuses for a dumb human being.
Great footy player but dumb in the fact he has no idea how to control his aggression and handle himself on the field in given situations ie: walking away from the ref and pretending not to hear the ref shouting for him to come over for a chat.
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's one of my faves but no need to make excuses for dumb people.
Out.

Where are the excuses ?

I have been saying it was a dumb shot since he did it

Deserved what he got.

It was clearly a cheap shot because Ennis was getting on his/the teams nerves. Something Ennis is good at doing.

Rami link said:
Deserved what he got.

It was clearly a cheap shot because Ennis was getting on his/the teams nerves. Something Ennis is good at doing.

I don't know that he deserved 7 weeks, certainly deserved a few weeks at least but 7 is a long stint.

He looked gutted at the leagues club afterwards as well, might be the fact that Des had a few words, or might be the realization he would miss the 4 nations.

Ennis is very good at the niggle, didn't like his Farrah impersonation one bit however. Before the game I was giving him a wrap, with others around me saying he shouldn't play SOO.

Rami link said:
Deserved what he got.

LOL .. enniss i remember when sik manu grabbed him by the collar & wouldnt let him go for about 2mins the refs was asking him to release enniss about 3times .. the look on enniss`s face  he was **** scared didnt murmur a word after that in any scrum, enniss`s fists cant back up what his mouths says thats why if you put a big shot on him or intimidate him like sika did he goes all quiet, robbie farah got him good in a scrum this yr also he shut up for the rest of the game..

And who could forget the Ennis brain snap in the last SoO this year,that virtually cost us some face saving.Good on the niggle,but hides when the opposition start to give some back.

That's what annoys the life out of me as a Bulldogs supporter.

It's nice to see him niggle, but FFS man up and get aggressive if you're gonna talk the talk. Hate how he goes into hiding when he starts something. We've never been known as a club to be a bunch of pansies.

Matai's 7 weeks would be harsh if it were anyone else, but he's got a very poor record from what I hear. It's the only way you're gonna learn.

Matai has a memory like a sieve.
I mean, for **** sake, even rats learn.
He's still one of my favourites though  ;D

Rami link said:
That's what annoys the life out of me as a Bulldogs supporter.

It's nice to see him niggle, but FFS man up and get aggressive if you're gonna talk the talk. Hate how he goes into hiding when he starts something. We've never been known as a club to be a bunch of pansies.

Matai's 7 weeks would be harsh if it were anyone else, but he's got a very poor record from what I hear. It's the only way you're gonna learn.

Unfortunately the 7 weeks is evidence of his inability to learn. He does have a poor record, but some of the time I wonder if he wouldn't be charged a lot less if he was anyone else. Its chicken and the egg I guess.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2