News: Menzies' record has to reclaim lost years

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
BRETT’S Stewart’s three-try haul to finally top the century of tries for the Sea Eagles this week has again highlighted the disgraceful attitude taken to Manly’s “lost” years as the Northern Eagles.Steve Menzies is regarded by the NRL, every journalist and every statistician as a loyal one-club player in Australia throughout his fabulous career.

Read the full article

This is something I posed a while ago and its something we as supporters have to come to grips with first before we try and make the change in the official records. Although I'm not quite sure I agree with Zorbas view, he seems to only what to embrace the Northern Eagles history for things that suit us but I believe we have to take it warts and all.

I ask you whats more important for you. The fact that players like Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey, etc are recognised as one club players or that we can disown in our history those woeful years as the Northern Eagles?

To me its much more important to recognise Beaver and Toovs and others for their contribution to our great club than to worry about the shame that was the Northern Eagles years. We still haven't won a wooden spoon and would also put us well above the 800 win mark.

Be interested to hear other Sea Eagles thoughts on this.

Compare the treatment of Menzies and the Northern eagles with that of the Dragqueens. They were widely lauded last year in all the media for breaking a 30 year permiership drought, everyone conveniently forgot that St George no longer exist and that in fact it was the StGIll Dragons first and only premeirship. Joke.

Masked Eagle said:
I ask you whats more important for you. The fact that players like Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey, etc are recognised as one club players or that we can disown in our history those woeful years as the Northern Eagles?

Its a no brainer for me.

Good point ME. I remember one or two massive losses under the NE banner and when we were really Manly (in 2002), which may be best left alone. But overall, I'd prefer to have Menzies' achievements in full recognised. In other words take it warts and all. But that will never happen whilst ever the Bears were in the JV mix.

Chip and Chase said:
Compare the treatment of Menzies and the Northern eagles with that of the Dragqueens. They were widely lauded last year in all the media for breaking a 30 year permiership drought, everyone conveniently forgot that St George no longer exist and that in fact it was the StGIll Dragons first and only premeirship. Joke.

Yeah i totally agree with you. What the journalists and dragons fans dont seem to realise is that there is a huge difference between the Dragons situation and that of Menzies. Between the years of 1982 and 1998 there were teams from both St George and Illawarra competing In the ARL/NRL competition thus giving the merged club two chances in each of those years to add a premiership to their tally if we are to be counting them as one club. What if St George had played Illawarra in a Grand Final during those years? Would the joint venture club be now credited with a Premiership and a runners up from the same year? That wouldnt be fair. Menzies however only ever played for one team at any one time so it made no difference to his try tally whether manly stood alone or merged, he still scored the tries in a team that included the Manly half of the joint venture.

Regardless of the team name, Manly and manly only held the franchise through this time.They took the money available at the time to merge, fed off the norths carcass and used the northern eagles name as a vehicle to do so.

But Manly held the franchise and is really no different to easts changing there name to the roosters and buying half a team with someone elses money

I know we've been a bit preoccupied today with the Bec Wilson garbage but I must admit I'm a little disappointed this thread hasn't attracted more attention. Its a part of our past we need to come to terms with so we can remedy how history sees the careers of a couple of our greats.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7