News: Newcastle waits nervously as police circle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
WITHIN hours of alleged drug supplier Chris Houston quitting his $200,000-a-year contract with Newcastle, police sources revealed last night the noose could be tightening on more Knights.

Read more

Re: News: Drugcastle waits nervously as police circle

It is a concern that the police say that they don't have the man power to listen to all fo the tapes. 

There are rumours that another three knights first grade players have been mentioned on the tapes so far so watch for more to be charged.

Hope they bag the Johns boys.  Pompous over-rated dickheads.  Give us back the 97 GF you drug cheats.

Maybe a few knights will develope kneck injuries and take extended hollidays.

byso link said:
Maybe a few knights will develope kneck injuries and take extended hollidays.

Or a Should Injury, worst kept secret in Newcastle i think that one was.

BRAD WALTER smh.com.au
March 4, 2010

KNIGHTS players will again be quizzed about drug-trafficking allegations that have cost the club two leading forwards following revelations that Chris Houston had repeatedly assured club officials he was not involved.

Despite Newcastle Local Court ordering former prop Danny Wicks to have no contact with Houston as a bail condition when he was arrested on six counts of supply and two of possession on December 16, Knights chief executive Steve Burraston admitted he was ''extremely shocked'' when the 25-year-old fringe Origin representative was charged.

The Knights chief also said he was angry and frustrated, and revealed he had asked Houston several times about the reason he had been named in court - prompting Burraston to declare at the time that he ''had no personal concern with Chris Houston's involvement''.

''I had a couple of discussions with Chris at the time, as I did with several other senior players,'' Burraston said. ''I addressed all of the squad collectively and also staff members as well, so I had a number of discussions with a variety of people.

''I am extremely shocked - in two ways. Firstly, there was no indication to me that he was involved and secondly, Chris Houston - no matter who you talk to at any club and from anywhere in rugby league and even from ours sponsors and members - is regarded as a really nice, genuine guy, so it is a hell of a shock.''

Houston, who had captained the Knights in two matches last season and was 18th man for NSW in Origin III, yesterday followed the same route as Wicks by voluntarily terminating his contract with three seasons to run.

''The club has taken enough hits because of these charges, therefore, I feel obligated to disassociate myself from the club until my matter is resolved,'' Houston said in a statement.

''I hope by resigning and leaving the Knights that these problems will now leave the club and go with me so that my teammates will now be able to focus completely on the 2010 season without distraction, and that the club will remain strong and united. I sincerely hope that all sponsors and supporters remain faithful to this great club and region.''

But Burraston admitted he could not guarantee Houston's departure was the end of the matter and said he would again speak with players - both individually and collectively - when he returned to Newcastle after attending yesterday's NRL launch in Sydney.

''I know that [Knights coach] Rick Stone has addressed them,'' he said. ''I was away in Brisbane [for talks with major sponsor Coal & Allied] and flew down for this today but I will again speak to the players when I am back and try to do that as early as possible.

''Hopefully there are no more [but] I was hoping there would be no more after Danny Wicks, so I'm not going to say that. But I think we are probably getting close to some finality on this matter.

''I have had no direct discussion with the police and nor would I try to. I wouldn't want to interfere in the case in any way. But just knowing the timing of things … the police would have had to gather a lot of information and view their surveillance tapes and all of those sort of things, and knowing that the [court] cases are in the next three to four weeks, it has got to be coming to some conclusion, I would hope.''

Burraston said most sponsors and members had indicated that they would stand by the club.

tookey link said:
It is a concern that the police say that they don't have the man power to listen to all fo the tapes. 

There are rumours that another three knights first grade players have been mentioned on the tapes so far so watch for more to be charged.

The 3 rumoured are big names.

What's the bet Corey Patterson is involved. 

Made me laugh that Burraston denied there was a drug culture at the Knights.  Where has this idiot been?  Steroids during the 90s, Johns and his white line fever, and now this team effort.  Where's the club fine for bringing the game into disrepute.  Weren't we fined last year?   

ERNIE FOR NO7 link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=182536.msg253104#msg253104 date=1267651329]
It is a concern that the police say that they don't have the man power to listen to all of the tapes yet.  

The 3 rumoured are big names.
[/quote]

Spot on.  I have also heard one ex-player's name as well could be involved.

And if they end up being charged like Wicks and Houston there is also a rumour that the knights may be forced to merge with a central coast (bears) team as they won't be viable when the sponsors leave.

Not big on the Knights, but Rugby League needs a Newcastle side.

I like the Knights on the ropes, not on the canvas.

Matabele link said:

Illicit drug use wouldn't be the best method of dealing with his depression........but then again maybe he went to the same Doctor who prescribed Joey disco biscuits to manage his bipolar disorder.

Why would Newcastle be waiting nervously if everyone else is innocent? The media can say what they like.

Volley link said:
Not big on the Knights, but Rugby League needs a Newcastle side.

I like the Knights on the ropes, not on the canvas.

Well summed up volley, I have the same view. Besides its much more fun watching them stagger around in a daze than being knocked out.

Ryan link said:
Why would Newcastle be waiting nervously if everyone else is innocent?

Because Knights management doesn't know if the players have been fully truthful with them as the players all denied any drug involvement when Wicks was caught which gave them a false sense of security and now Houston has been arrested for allegedly being involved with drugs and that sense of security went out the window.

DSM5 link said:
Made me laugh that Burraston denied there was a drug culture at the Knights.  Where has this idiot been?  Steroids during the 90s, Johns and his white line fever, and now this team effort.  Where's the club fine for bringing the game into disrepute.  Weren't we fined last year?   

Exactly!! Does anyone know if they've been fined? Surely this is more serious than "fine for being refused service" rubbish..

nita link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=182536.msg253225#msg253225 date=1267740225]

Exactly!! Does anyone know if they've been fined? Surely this is more serious than "fine for being refused service" rubbish..
[/quote]

Good points. I can accept the boot being put into this cheating mob.

Chip & Chase link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182536.msg253217#msg253217 date=1267739745]
My rationale is he would have been vulnerable last year and might have been dragged in unwittingly.

Illicit drug use wouldn't be the best method of dealing with his depression........but then again maybe he went to the same Doctor who prescribed Joey disco biscuits to manage his bipolar disorder.
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7