News: NRL executive floats booze ban

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
PLAYERS should be banned from drinking alcohol during the season, NRL executive director Katie Page believes.

The most senior woman in league believes clubs will eventually have to impose booze bans to stamp out the game's heavy-drinking habits.
"Now, this is contentious but if you're an athlete, you shouldn't be drinking," Page said, adding she was speaking as "me as an individual".

Read the full article

Outside of the footy codes, every top shelf athlete abstains from drinking when in training or competing. I cannot think of a single example of a modern day Olympic athlete that gets on the grog weekly when training or competing. I personally know Olympic athletes in rowing, kayaking & swimming and drinking for them is something they give up for about 18 months to 2 years leading in to the Olympics, which is about half of their time.

It's about time Rugby League players realised that not drinking will not only keep them out of trouble, but will also improve their performance. It's only for 6 months of the year and it's the price they need to pay for the big bucks and the adulation of being a 1st grade athlete.

Atheletes are people too, you will see players from every major sports code in the world going out clubbing, drinking & generally doing things that are bad for their bodies on a regular basis.

Should they do it? Probably not but it's their choice. The NRL should keep their noses out of players business.

Obviously they should'nt be permanently pissed but they should have the option to have a few drinks if they want or perhaps some wine with a meal. A total alcohol ban for every player would be well nigh impossible to enforce and probably leave the NRL open to litigation.

Wolfpack said:
Atheletes are people too, you will see players from every major sports code in the world going out clubbing, drinking & generally doing things that are bad for their bodies on a regular basis.

Should they do it? Probably not but it's their choice. The NRL should keep their noses out of players business.

I couldn't disagree with you more strongly. The NRL are charged with the responsibility of growing the game, keeping it's good name good and developing athletes.

What do you think the Australian institute of sport would do with one of their Olympic athletes if they found out they were out on the piss every weekend. Answer, they would withdraw funding and ditch the athlete for someone that is serious about their sport.

The problem with the Footy codes is that they have a cultural problem, this isn't the boys out for a bit of fun on the weekend anymore, it's no longer a "howdy doody" hillbilly game. This is big money for serious athletes. If they want to play footy and then get on the piss, they should go and play for a park footy team where it's more about the social life of the players than being serious athletes.

The attitude of fans towards this is just as much a problem. If our team could be a 10% or even 5% better team by giving up the grog, then they owe it to themselves, the Club and the fans to do just that.

End of Rant :D

Ralphie said:
Outside of the footy codes, every top shelf athlete abstains from drinking when in training or competing. I cannot think of a single example of a modern day Olympic athlete that gets on the grog weekly when training or competing. I personally know Olympic athletes in rowing, kayaking & swimming and drinking for them is something they give up for about 18 months to 2 years leading in to the Olympics, which is about half of their time.

It's about time Rugby League players realised that not drinking will not only keep them out of trouble, but will also improve their performance. It's only for 6 months of the year and it's the price they need to pay for the big bucks and the adulation of being a 1st grade athlete.
They're not Olympians, they're footballers.
Good luck policing a blanket grog ban.Won't happen.

I go to the footy to have a few beers, shout and scream for my team, yell abuse at the ref.

This is the footy culture. It ain't tennis where you eat strawberries and cream. Its pie and beer.

That's the footy culture. A few beers goes hand in hand with it. If you want something else best to find another sport.

:)

Footy players are part of this culture. Thugs we may be but that's the game.

Ralphie said:
Wolfpack said:

I couldn't disagree with you more strongly. The NRL are charged with the responsibility of growing the game, keeping it's good name good and developing athletes.

What do you think the Australian institute of sport would do with one of their Olympic athletes if they found out they were out on the piss every weekend. Answer, they would withdraw funding and ditch the athlete for someone that is serious about their sport.

The problem with the Footy codes is that they have a cultural problem, this isn't the boys out for a bit of fun on the weekend anymore, it's no longer a "howdy doody" hillbilly game. This is big money for serious athletes. If they want to play footy and then get on the piss, they should go and play for a park footy team where it's more about the social life of the players than being serious athletes.

The attitude of fans towards this is just as much a problem. If our team could be a 10% or even 5% better team by giving up the grog, then they owe it to themselves, the Club and the fans to do just that.

Are you joking ? In the process of you doing your job your boss comes up to you and tells you that you are not allowed to drink for the next 6 months, what would you say to him, i am sure it would not be "OK sir, see you at work bright and early tomorrow.".

Ralphie said:
Wolfpack said:

The NFL has no problems with giving millions of dollars to footballers who are anything but upstanding members of the community. You know why they keep giving them money? Because they're damn good at their jobs.

I couldn't care less if one of our players goes out & shoots up on the weekend. As long as he still plays well I really cbf'd. It's their lives, as long as they keep performing then they can do whatever they want to do. If my employer told me that I couldn't go & party on the weekend then I know where I would tell them to shove it.

If clubs want players to abstain from drugs & alcohol then they can put that in their club policy or put it in their player contracts.

Thats too discrimatory, maybe tell the players they cant drink in public during the season, but they can have a few drinks at home or other players places when there is a do on.. She cant just tell them to stop..

Didn't a couple of our swimmers get on the turps and smash each others heads in? There are idiots in all walks of life who can't handle their drink.

Great the NRL has now found a bigger ****wit than Gallop. Next she will want to tell players what to eat and how to run their lives. Why not ban them from smoking cigarettes instead?

Players are normal people who should be allowed to drink if they want to. It is not against the law. And how does she proposed to enforce a ban? Random breath tests in players homes?

The NRL cannot even police the salary cap properly.

So Katie what about players with wives/ girlfriends if they go out to a club etc you want to ban them from having a drink or players having a BBQ at home with a few mates,
A simple solution really
3 strikes policy when a player gets into grog related trouble
Strike 1 - 25% of their contract fine
Strike 2 - 50% of thier contract fine
Strike 3 - 4 year ban
All dependent on a independent commission ruling

I guess we'll have a difference of opinion on this one, but the simple fact is these guys aren't in a normal job. What would happen to a Policeman if he was arrested on a weekend for being drunk & disorderly, or for drinking & driving or for assault.

The fact is the people with the cash (the NRL not the clubs) can put any clause they like in a contract and if the player doesn't like it he can go and do something else.The bottom line is the NRL club grants equals the salary cap and so they pay the players salaries. The NRL registers the contracts and I for one would have no problem with a no public consumption of grog clause from round 1 through to your team is knocked out.

In fact I believe it's inevitable that it will happen.

Ralphie said:
I guess we'll have a difference of opinion on this one, but the simple fact is these guys aren't in a normal job. What would happen to a Policeman if he was arrested on a weekend for being drunk & disorderly, or for drinking & driving or for assault.

The fact is the people with the cash (the NRL not the clubs) can put any clause they like in a contract and if the player doesn't like it he can go and do something else.The bottom line is the NRL club grants equals the salary cap and so they pay the players salaries. The NRL registers the contracts and I for one would have no problem with a no public consumption of grog clause from round 1 through to your team is knocked out.

In fact I believe it's inevitable that it will happen.

You're right, if the players don't like it they can go & do something else & a lot of them probably would if the NRL tried over the top crap like the above ideas.

The talent drain to union is bad enough as is, we don't want to lose more top players.

Alcohol is legal and it's a free country, or it was last time I peeped out the front door. Clubs can negotiate this sort of stuff in contracts and a player can be free to sign or not sign. Having a blanket ban on something that is perfectly legal is a nonsense.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4