News: NRL executive floats booze ban

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
I guess we'll have a difference of opinion on this one, but the simple fact is these guys aren't in a normal job. What would happen to a Policeman if he was arrested on a weekend for being drunk & disorderly, or for drinking & driving or for assault.

The fact is the people with the cash (the NRL not the clubs) can put any clause they like in a contract and if the player doesn't like it he can go and do something else.The bottom line is the NRL club grants equals the salary cap and so they pay the players salaries. The NRL registers the contracts and I for one would have no problem with a no public consumption of grog clause from round 1 through to your team is knocked out.

In fact I believe it's inevitable that it will happen.
Police are probably not a good example. I remember in Sept. 2009 four police were charged with running around a police vehicle nude at several intersections in Brisbane. All but one were off duty. They were given $300 fines. They admitted they had been drinking. No convictions were recorded!:huh:

Ralphie said:
What would happen to a Policeman if he was arrested on a weekend for being drunk & disorderly, or for drinking & driving or for assault.
...he ends up on an episode of Underbelly?:p

A lot of you know my opinions on this. Unlike our jobs and life, these guys are in the public eye and get paid a bucket load to play the roles that they do. Due to that reason they are going to have restrictions placed on them to keep not only the league but the players themselves safe. We have seen through our own club what star-struck fans are willing to do to get fame and fortune, to the detriment of these players.

In saying this, a blanket ban on alcohol would be stupid because how can this be policed? However:

1) if a player is an alcoholic they should have clauses in their contract that ban them from drinking during the season.

2) as stated before by Berkeley there should be a 3 strike rule. 4 years is a bit harsh but I only think you should get a strike is when a) you get tested at training and have alcohol in your system or b) when you are arrested/charged by police.

Obviously depending on the incident you can be given an automatic ban as well.

A judiciary would be set up that is independent of all the clubs. They make the decisions.

However, the only way any of this would work is by all players signing a contract with the NRL, then signing a contract with their own club. Without the NRL contract they can't play for a club so, if they get a 3rd strike, the NRL contract is torn up. Nothing the clubs can do about it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6