News: Orford sad to leave

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>IN the end, Matt Orford just couldn’t allow the emotions of leaving the club he’s grown to love to over-ride simple economics.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4390-orford-sad-to-leave.html">Read the full article</a>

Orford's heatbreak behind the smile

By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph

HE LOOKED relaxed and comfortable yesterday but departing Sea Eagles captain Matt Orford could not hide the heartbreak he was feeling for walking away from Manly for Super League.

Talking for the first time since signing a $1.5 million contract with Bradford, Orford also spoke about why he will continue training with Manly until after Christmas and how he would have rejected the Bulls deal had the Sea Eagles been unable to adequately fill his halfback position.

Orford, 31, was out on the field at Narrabeen yesterday keeping fit and healthy before his move to Yorkshire.

"It was a very hard decision but, in the end, it was the right one," Orford said. "It was difficult and emotional but life goes on. I'm not getting any younger. I'm sad but also excited.

"This is a great place and I have a lot of great mates here, and we have achieved some pretty special things along the way.

"But this is a new chapter in my life and I'm excited about trying to achieve another goal in my career.

"I will keep training here for a while and help the younger blokes out as much as possible. That will also keep my skills up to date."

Kieran Foran is likely to start at halfback in 2010 although Manly believe Trent Hodkinson has enormous potential.

Hodkinson, who came from Parramatta, was the Queensland Cup player of the year last season after helping Sunshine Coast, Manly's feeder club, clinch the title.

Foran was absent yesterday from training but Hodkinson was there.

"Football-wise, we are in good shape," Orford said. "If I had any reservations, I wouldn't have done what I did.

"The dynamics will change but this is a healthy club and the challenge is now there for the younger blokes. The door is open, the competition is open."

Orford told teammates on Sunday night and Monday morning about his shock decision.

He had the backing of Hasler despite the Sea Eagles now starting off-season training without a halfback or skipper.

"It's not often you leave a club on really good terms," Orford said. "You like to keep your business head on but there is an emotional side to footy that only those that play know about. Manly will be a real threat next year. Every goal I have achieved at Manly has been something special.

"The memories of playing at Brookvale Oval I will treasure.

"I will be back on the Northern Beaches one day. It has been a tremendous journey."

Orford said Hasler had several options when it came to appointing a replacement captain.

"Des is a smart man and there are plenty of guys who can step up," Orford said. "Jamie Lyon, Brent Kite, Jason King, Anthony Watmough, there are some great players in line.

"I also think co-captains would be a great idea. It worked well with the Titans this year. Whatever way Des goes will be the right way."

if he was any good he'd still be there.

Puff Piece to not make us look too bad.

I spose I can give him that, he was captain for a GF win, and no that doesn't mean he led us to it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7