News: Salary cap its own worst enemy in sorry Inglis saga

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p><span style="color: #000000; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 17px;" />
<p>Let's take a step back for a minute. Forget about Greg Inglis. Forget about South Sydney and Hollywood pulling power, and Essendon.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5306-salary-cap-its-own-worst-enemy-in-sorry-inglis-saga.html">Read the full article</a>

Glenn, "let's take a step back" for a moment and give rational argument a chance. Anyone can be pro or agin' the salary cap but you haven't provided anything to promote your thoughts. The NRL has never complained about Crowe being 'cocky'. You haven't provided any "compelling argument that there should have been more latitude in his case". The AFL doesn't need to bend the rules to let him play. The NRL is right to question the deals under the current structure.

In many ways I agree with Glenn's end conclusion. I couldn't give a fig if Souths or Inglis's manager contacted a sponsor first or not - to me it just doesn't matter. The issue is not the cap, it is the way that third party sponsorship is allowed and gets around making the competition fair.

Wonder what team Glenn Jackson supports. To me  $200,000 a season is'nt "a little extra".  This money is'nt a gift, its money he gets if he plays for Souths, therefore its a payment no matter what they want to call it.

bull****

Greg Inglis had a very decent and legal deal with brisbane that he walked away from.

He's nothing but a woman bash and is as disloyal as they come.

look at the rex hunt he was born in bowraville grew up in Northern NSW and thinks hes a ****en qlder. Seriously the blokes a scumbag of the highest order and an oxygen thief to boot. My hope would be that he would go on a holiday to Afganstan take slater with him strap some explosives on and be the worlds first usefull suicide bomber.

Fark Inglis, if he didn't cheat he won't be in this predicament. You can't tell me that all those scum players who signed 2 contracts didn't know it was illegal.

Well Greg, karma has come back to bite you, you greedy ****!

The Inglis issue highlights the need to simplify the salary cap rules. Either the NRL (or Independent Commission) impose a points system, or a nominal value system, for players who have attained representative honours ie.
1 point (or $50,000 value: for a rookie with no first grade experience
2 points (or $100,000 value for first grader who has played 20 games or less)
3 points (or $200,000 value) for a first grader with more than 20 games experience
4 points (or $300,00 value) for a SOO representative
5 points (or $400,000) for a Kangaroo representative

We can debate the amounts etc, but the principle is that each club has the same points/$ value cap. It may be 75 points or $4.1-Million. They assemble their playing roster prior to the season starting based on these points. Each year the points value will have to be reassessed.

So, before the season starts it is clear to everyone that every club is within the cap.

It doesn't matter what the clubs then pay their players, nor third-party sponsorships, cars, add-on etc; that is between the club and the players. As long as each club doesn't exceed the nominated points total, then all is fair.

It seems simple to me. And at the risk of being labelled a simpleton, I offer it as a solution to all this cap crap.

There are quite a few problems with a points system like that which is why it has never been introduced.

Under your proposal current SOO and Australian reps would be given the same value as players who played for NSW or Australia 10 years ago. 

You also wouldn't have the same value for someone who played one game of SOO or for Australia compared to someone who has played 50 games. 

There is a doubling in salary for players who have played 20 games and then play 21 games.  I could see a lot of average first graders not being resigned once they played 20 games because clubs wouldn't think that they are suddenly worth $200k.

tookey link said:
There are quite a few problems with a points system like that which is why it has never been introduced.

Under your proposal current SOO and Australian reps would be given the same value as players who played for NSW or Australia 10 years ago. 

You also wouldn't have the same value for someone who played one game of SOO or for Australia compared to someone who has played 50 games. 

There is a doubling in salary for players who have played 20 games and then play 21 games.  I could see a lot of average first graders not being resigned once they played 20 games because clubs wouldn't think that they are suddenly worth $200k.

Good points, but not impossible to fix.
1. The points for SOO and Australian reps would have to be based on current players. If they were currently representing then they would drop down to a lower points value ie. current NRL players with 20 matches or more.
2. There could be a points dispensation for long-term players, those that had played five years or more at NRL level for the one club.

My earlier points suggestion was top-of-the-head stuff. It needs refinement. But once all inconsistencies (you've mentioned some) are taken into account, then I'm now convinced such a system has to replace the current cap rules. 

I think a points cap can lead to just as much trouble and it doesn't assist with helping clubs stay afloat financially as the current model does.

If there is all this third party sponsorship out there, what should be happening is the clubs getting these people on board directly and using that extra cash as way of increasing the overall cap.

Masked Eagle link said:
I think a points cap can lead to just as much trouble and it doesn't assist with helping clubs stay afloat financially as the current model does.

If there is all this third party sponsorship out there, what should be happening is the clubs getting these people on board directly and using that extra cash as way of increasing the overall cap.

Brisbane have a huge advantage over every other club gaining sponsorship, being the sole RL team in a rugby league-mad city of 1.5-Million (estimate). The suburban-based Sydney clubs don't have a chance attracting major corporate support.

Personally I like the 'luxury cap' model, whereby any team can spend what they like, but as soon as they go over the cap they have to pay twice, once to the player and an equal amount to the other 15 clubs.

This would mean wealthy clubs could spend what they like and would end up supporting the rest of the clubs as well.

Rusty link said:
Personally I like the 'luxury cap' model, whereby any team can spend what they like, but as soon as they go over the cap they have to pay twice, once to the player and an equal amount to the other 15 clubs.

This would mean wealthy clubs could spend what they like and would end up supporting the rest of the clubs as well.

Rusty, I've pondered over your suggestion for 10 minutes and I like it. As long as all the third-party deals etc are included in the cap, then, by jove, I think you've cracked the solution to this mess. 

Barry Hyland link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=186167.msg310257#msg310257 date=1293062757]

Good points, but not impossible to fix.
1. The points for SOO and Australian reps would have to be based on current players. If they were currently representing then they would drop down to a lower points value ie. current NRL players with 20 matches or more.
2. There could be a points dispensation for long-term players, those that had played five years or more at NRL level for the one club.

My earlier points suggestion was top-of-the-head stuff. It needs refinement. But once all inconsistencies (you've mentioned some) are taken into account, then I'm now convinced such a system has to replace the current cap rules. 
[/quote]

Kiwi players and English players would they fall under the 5 points????

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4