News: Sea Eagles can Mason deal after fan backlash

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THE Sea Eagles have dropped plans to snare Willie Mason after fans and sponsors voiced overwhelming hostility to the controversial star this morning.</p>
<p />

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4511-sea-eagles-can-mason-deal-after-fan-backlash.html">Read the full article</a>

I bet the same people who whinged about Willie are the ones who want 40km speed limits on the highways, free childcare and a junkfood tax for their toddlers, a ban on alcoholic drinks everywhere, signs posted every 1 metre outlining what anyone can and cannot do with their lives and relish the opportunity to turn Brookie Oval into a bird sanctuary.

Enough of the moaners. It wasn't a life or death issue and it should have been up to the coach to decide who he wants on his roster.

I disagree. Fans and sponsors alike have a financial interest in the club and their opinions should be taken on board.

Stuff 'em. No one will remember that Des was denied the opportunity to add strength to the forwards when the team fails to make the finals. :)

There are so many possibilities for headlines here:

"Manly pull out at last minute, Big Willie devastated"

Feel free to add your own.

I wonder if a certain poster will come on this thread and congratulate Graham Lowe for making a decision they agree with? ;)

Wllie not coming after Manly lose interest in finishing the deal

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the behind.

I somehow think it was more the sponsors pressure than the fans who didn't want him.

It's interesting that fans on this site overwhelmingly thought that getting him would be good, check the graph.  Where, or who, are the fans that 'overwhelmingly' canned the idea?  Having Kite and Perry taking the ball up didn't do it for us last year, so hopefully someone, somewhere, will put pressure on these two to pull their fingers out.  Pressure for positions is always a good thing.   

I agree that it was mainly sponsorship pressures rather than pressure from fans. Honestly if you have him in our team our forward pack looks insane but its not to be.

I wonder if management who made the decsion included Des?  Surely the coach has a say and who he wants to sign as he lives or dies purely by results.  

Also are these the supporters who will go to a grand final when manly is playing but are not members and don't go to any other games?

He is also supported by arko, Fulton, Randall and Krillich.  Enough said.  Strange for Lowe to make a decision without even meeting Mason.  Lowe 0-1 so far.

Big Willy well hung by Lowe act.

If fans can object to signing Mason then they can also object to him not being signed.  Disgraceful decision by management. 

tookey link said:
I wonder if management who made the decsion included Des?  Surely the coach has a say and who he wants to sign as he lives or dies purely by results. 

Also are these the supporters who will go to a grand final when manly is playing but are not members and don't go to any other games?

He is also supported by arko, Fulton, Randall and Krillich.  Enough said.  Strange for Lowe to make a decision without even meeting Mason.  Lowe 0-1 so far.

Apparently Des was keen on him. I would suggest the decision came from the board as a whole or from the owners

The fans didn;t have the same impact for the "Save Monnas Campaign".

New CEO, new vision I suppose

PEOPLE power has ensured the Sea Eagles parted ways with any plans to secure Willie Mason this year.

As first reported in The Manly Daily on Saturday, the controversial Roosters forward will not be coming to Brookvale in 2010.

The Daily was met with strong protests by fans against the club signing Mason, fearing his off-field reputation would smear the Sea Eagles label.

It is widely understood Manly coach Des Hasler was keen on Mason, believing he could transform the footballer into his old self.

Hasler gained the support of a raft of ex-players, with each believing the coach capable of extracting the best out of Mason.

But the Daily also understands concerned sections within the Sea Eagles did not want the 29-year-old at the club.

“He would have brought too much baggage to the club,” a source within the Sea Eagles said after Manly CEO Graham Lowe declared Mason a no-go zone on Wednesday morning.

“People at the club were concerned about whether it (Mason’s signature) would have been in the best interests of the organisation.”

Lowe rejected suggestions a feared backlash from sponsors and supporters was behind the club pulling out.

“I tried to consider the impact it would have on everybody,” Lowe told the Daily.

“I’m not in the job to win a popular contest.

“This is a management decision, and I considered everything. The decision was made in the best interests of the club, that’s the job we are all charged with doing.

“I want the fans, members and sponsors to be confident that any decision we make will be the right one.”

Jason Avedissian Manly Daily

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4