NEWS selling the Broncs?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/horse-trading-news-look-to-cut-broncos-loose-20130125-2dc61.html

News maybe selling Brisbane Broncos according to the SMH. Aadd to that the Storm and not running the game the landscap may well be changing for the better. Superleauge is almost dead...finally.

Rex said:
One day we will see a level playing field for the 14 non-News Ltd teams?

It will never be a level playing field whilst the Boncos have a monopoly in a city of 2 million and while Channel Nein dictates the draw.

Moondog said:
globaleagle said:
Moondog said:
I'll start the bidding at $2

I'll counter with $1.50
Any advance on $1.50....going ....going...coming....going...Sold to the moose with the white glove.

"Watch me pull the broncs outta my hat...."

(rocky and bullwinkle reference)

Ok - broncs are now the manly feeder team and no players shall be released for qld origin.

carry on (not the movie series)

The Who said:
Rex said:
One day we will see a level playing field for the 14 non-News Ltd teams?

It will never be a level playing field whilst the Boncos have a monopoly in a city of 2 million and while Channel Nein dictates the draw.

True.

And the more hold on the game News Ltd (and Nine) has, the less likely that would ever happen.

Whatever happened to the incomplete investigation on the Thorougbreds association with elite bronco players?

Did this have anything to do with Bennett leaving the broncos?

Just exactly, how did the broncos manage to keep such a large number of rep players for a decade, and fit under the cap?

Found this old article on the web:

Brisbane Broncos cap probe hits wall
Written by Brent Reid The Australian
Thursday, 09 July 2009 08:54
THE NRL's probe into payments made to Brisbane players by mining magnate Ken Talbot suffered a potentially fatal blow yesterday when the official who made the allegations refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Ex-Broncos chairman Don Nissen told The Australian he had no plans to speak to NRL salary-cap auditor Ian Schubert, who will fly to Brisbane next week to continue his inquiry into allegations players were paid under the table by Talbot.

Nissen's refusal to cooperate represents a significant setback as Schubert attempts to uncover whether those payments violated salary-cap rules.

Talbot is also unavailable given he is overseas.

Talbot was a long-time member of the Thoroughbreds, a group of wealthy businessman who provided support and advice to Brisbane players.

Nissen made the revelations while giving testimony in a Brisbane court earlier this week in the trial of former Beattie government minister Gordon Nuttall. Without evidence from Nissen or Talbot, Schubert could struggle to piece together his investigation.

"I have nothing to say to anyone," Nissen told The Australian last night.

"I'm not even in Brisbane at the moment. I'm away on holidays. I have nothing to say.

"I just answered questions put to me by the prosecutor. I answered them under oath."

Pressed on whether he would speak to Schubert, Nissen said: "I'm not saying anything to anybody."

Nissen gave evidence that Talbot had given money to Brisbane players which was not expected to be repaid. He said in return for the payments, the players visited Talbot's hotels socially and on a formal basis.

Former Queensland and Australian prop Shane Webcke also visited one of Talbot's mines in 2002 and became a member of the advisory board to Talbot's Hotel Group post-retirement.

"Issues raised in court in Brisbane in relation to payments made by businessmen are also being investigated but so too are the accounts of every club on a regular basis," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"Where significant breaches take place, we have a track record of announcing any penalties to all concerned and that policy remains.

"We are not at that point however and it is too early to speculate on any outcomes."

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen reiterated his belief that the club had not violated salary-cap guidelines. Under NRL rules, payments can't be made to players from any entity associated with a club unless they have been pre-approved by the salary-cap auditor.

"I'm not concerned about it," Cullen said. "I don't think there's anything there. People are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I could be proved incorrect. I have tried to do what the NRL has asked me to do and I can't do anything more."

As for the Thoroughbreds, Cullen said the organisation had no "connection" to the club. However, members of the Thoroughbreds have been influential in the careers of several players during and after their playing careers.

Tonie Carroll, who recently reversed his retirement, works for a member of the Thoroughbreds. Queensland prop Ben Hannant was also employed by a member of the Thoroughbreds before leaving for the Bulldogs.

"They have no connection to the club," Cullen said.

"They help mentor players. Tonie Carroll now works for a Thoroughbred. This guy encouraged Tonie over the last couple of years knowing his career was coming to an end to do a real estate course. He did it.

"We have had a couple of players do traineeships with publicans. That's the connection with the club."

The current management at the Broncos know full well that there will be another Se Qld team in the future ATM it points to The Bombers due to the corporate support but eventually a Ippie team will be amongst it

"Whatever happened to the incomplete investigation on the Thorougbreds association with elite bronco players?"

Ex News Limited employee (Gallop) investigating a News Limited club. Nothing was ever going to happen.

I reckon a deal was done to throw the book at melbourne to save the Broncos. Hence Melbourne got a full going over whilst the Broncs got nothing. Wheres my tin foil hat again???

conanu said:
I reckon a deal was done to throw the book at melbourne to save the Broncos. Hence Melbourne got a full going over whilst the Broncs got nothing. Wheres my tin foil hat again???
Seems plausible to me. Both News Limited clubs. They wanted to be seen to be impartial so they cut Melbourne adrift to save Brisbane. They knew both were rorting the cap but sacrificed the less influential team and of course the penalty Melbourne suffered was negligible, losing one star player and the CEO became the scapegoat. Gallop could claim he had taken swift action on salary cap cheats and the Brisbane investigation was relegated to the background.

Wouldn't be surprised if a consortium of Thorougbreds bought the Broncos.

They probably miss being surrounded by players and "pretty girls" at parties and also be able to deal directly with players and managers over contracts.

A PNG consortium are looking to buy in. Now that would be an interesting prospect.

Not to mention all those new SOO players from Port Moresby, Lae, Madang and Rabaul that QLD could get their hands on.

"Power is never given, it is always taken"

What annoys me most about the super league drama is that the broncos always wanted to be treated as extra special!

Hate them more than the scum and always will!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6