News: Silver lining to the season of setbacks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<div class="content-item" />
<p>THE Manly Sea Eagles are on the verge of producing another golden crop of brilliant local juniors, the best since Nik Kosef, Daniel Gartner and Steve Menzies burst into maroon and white in the early and mid-1990s.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5227-silver-lining-to-the-season-of-setbacks.html">Read the full article</a>

Kosef was born in Cobar. I'm not sure when he moved to Manly but perhaps he qualifies as a local junior.
Zorba has done a good job talking up the fact that we have three promising juniors, but three is not many. We've got more than Easts, but I doubt if any other club has less locals in the squad than us.
Canberra seems to produce heaps, then they become the Raided when Easts steal them.
Then again, we produce better surfers than Canberra.

What was the author smoking when they wrote this?  Comparing 3 great back rowers with 3 untried outside backs is like comparing a super model with your garden variety Parramatta scrag. 

Gee guys we are tough to please. haha

Zorba's article was positive about three of our bright young stars but we also have names like Darcy Lussick... Gary Riccardi... Liam Higgins... Daly Cherry-Evans and a few others I'm sure I've missed that weren't mentioned.

Rest assured my Manly friends...the future of our great club is in safe hands!!!

Very high praise indeed from Zorba. The club must have high hopes for them (unless it is just some PR spin to deflect attention away from our meagre recruitment? sorry, that is far too cynical of me lol)
Don't forget about Buhrer too, we have actually had several young blokes breaking through in the past couple of years.

Yep tough to please indeed .. when was the last time we had 3 local juniors in the kangaroos? It is a fantastic thing. I bet no other club does at present

Matabele link said:
What was the author smoking when they wrote this?  Comparing 3 great back rowers with 3 untried outside backs is like comparing a super model with your garden variety Parramatta scrag. 
people may have thought the same when beaver first began to push for a first grade spot.
lighten up

It remains that they're outside backs.  They won;t win us games without field position.  I think some of you lot must be too young to remember how good the Gartner/Kosef/Beaver trio was.

I remember how good they were but what harm is talking up some juniors who are playing for the junior roos? Whilst forwards are no doubt important so are backs, as we saw this season missing some very important ones hurt us.

Firstly Cunningham is not an outside back, he is listed as 'Front Row'. Secondly three junior roos in one year is a wealth of talent, honestly the only team that promotes that many juniors each year is Canberra and they have yet to win anything with this system.

Lets give these guys their due, and for once I agree with Zorba, the future looks bright. Hopefully we can lock these guys into contracts and they can join Foran and Whare as the core of our future premiership winning team.

I would like to see more frontrowers as well, but lets be honest, how many toyota cup frontrowers look like they could step up to NRL level football, not many. I don't think we are alone in struggling to bring juniors through in the frontrow. This is where a lack of reserve grade hurts the comp a lot.

Rusty link said:
Firstly Cunningham is not an outside back, he is listed as 'Front Row'. Secondly three junior roos in one year is a wealth of talent, honestly the only team that promotes that many juniors each year is Canberra and they have yet to win anything with this system.

Lets give these guys their due, and for once I agree with Zorba, the future looks bright. Hopefully we can lock these guys into contracts and they can join Foran and Whare as the core of our future premiership winning team.

I would like to see more frontrowers as well, but lets be honest, how many toyota cup frontrowers look like they could step up to NRL level football, not many. I don't think we are alone in struggling to bring juniors through in the frontrow. This is where a lack of reserve grade hurts the comp a lot.

I second that. 

Rusty link said:

You're kidding.
Mate, we are not struggling to bring them through to 1sts, we struggle to retain them. JWH and Lama Tasi being prime examples.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=185863.msg304307#msg304307 date=1288362136]

You're kidding.
Mate, we are not struggling to bring them through to 1sts, we struggle to retain them. JWH and Lama Tasi being prime examples.
[/quote]

If Lama Tasi is as "good" as JWH good riddance

Ha...fair dinkim

If he wasn't talking them up you lot would be whinging that he wasn't giving them the praise that they deserve

Guys, I'm kind of thinking the club have to "take a gamble" on two of the lot, and sign them to say 4-5 year deals....low dollars, before they make huge impact, and demand huge dollars.

I've always thought Manly's contract negotiations have been very tardy and slow, which is why we end up paying big dollars, and maybe overs on some players.

I can appreciate the PLAYERS may want shorter one's, in case they blitz it, and can re-negotiate a huge offer later, but hey, it's worth TRYING to get them to sign.

4-5 years is too much, these guys have barely tasted top grade so far.

As for low dollars - do you think these players are stupid? Coming through as locals we're entitled to expect them to sign for less than other clubs would have to offer to lure them away, but we have to be in the ballpark with our offers. If it's true that Junior Kangaroo reps can be signed on low dollars let's just buy a few others from other clubs!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8