News: Skipper decision can wait

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>Manly fans are likely to have unwrapped their Christmas presents and seen in the New Year before they find out who is going to lead the team next year.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4389-skipper-decision-can-wait.html">Read the full article</a>

By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph

MANLY - still reeling from the shock departure of skipper Matt Orford - will consider appointing co-captains next season for the first time in the club's history.

In a dramatic day at Brookvale yesterday, Jamie Lyon and Jason King expressed their desire for the top job, although hooker Matt Ballin ruled himself out.

The Sea Eagles have never named dual captains since the club's 1947 inception, with Lyon and Glenn Stewart early favourites to replace Orford, who signed a three-year deal with English club Bradford.

Not sure if they should give the captancy to Kingy as it might distract him from his usual powehouse standard of play

Lyon is a damn obvious choice and I don't see this being a hard decision really or a dragged out one. Everyone though Lyon didnt want it, now that he does, well I cant see as the choice is that hard

I don't see how Lyon is an obvious choice at all.

I think it's weird that a guy who just wants to be left alone to play footy without any added burdens, pressures or influences put on him, would be considered. Let him be.

Choc is a nut & can't talk to refs, players or the media without looking like he wants to hit them. So wouldn't that rule him out?

Matty Ballin has ruled himself out.

That basically just leaves Glenn & Kingy. For mine, either or both of these blokes would be fantastic captains. Good lads, smart players & one club players. Perfect.

Duff, you have got it wrong.

He doesn't want to play rep footy!

Lyon himself has said he wants to be captain. Why would we leave alone the most capable of our players to captain and lead the team?

Dan link said:
Duff, you have got it wrong.

He doesn't want to play rep footy!

Lyon himself has said he wants to be captain. Why would we leave alone the most capable of our players to captain and lead the team?

He has said both at varius times and he has tried to get out of rep footy prior to saying he is keen.

The question is has he changed his mind or is this media spin?

the entire rep thing was media spin. He didnt want to play rep footy because he wanted to be close to and spend more time with his young family. Being a captain wont alter the amount of time he gets with his family.

He ticks every single box for captain

Lyon for me if we have a agreement from him that he is going to stay,I keep hearing he wants to go back to England. The other thing that we have to consider if choc doesn't get the job will he spit the dummy and run to the storm.

Dan link said:
the entire rep thing was media spin. He didnt want to play rep footy because he wanted to be close to and spend more time with his young family. Being a captain wont alter the amount of time he gets with his family.

I agree Dan, Lyon was fill in last year when Ox was out. Ticks all the boxes.
Gift will be the future captain when Lyon moves on.

I think Choc needs to concentrate on his own game, obviously he will be in the leadership group but he isn't captain material.

Dan link said:

He has said he wants to go back to England in the future though - Which means that he would probably only have 3 or so years as captain. If Kingy/GSS have said that they're keen to stay with manly long term (which i think they are) then I would prefer someone as our captain who is in it for the long haul.

Gift wont talk to the media especially after how they treated Brett, so you can forget him as captain.

3 more years is all I realistically expect out of Lyon's career at Manly at the most anyway.

BK was named captain when he only had a short period left on his contract. the length of time is not important, if he is here for another 1 season he is still the best captain material, if he is here for longer then awesome

I don't think Lyon will be heading back to England anytime soon. He's a family man, he won't want to shift his young family around too much. Another 4 or 5 years for sure. Heaps of time.

Lyon's the best option imo.

I agree Volley, once his young fella's have started school I can't see him moving them to England

Glenn Stewart is also rumoured to be putting himself on the open market next season, but I am unsure he would leave Brett

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2