News: Stewart, Wolfman place Manly in a $700,000 dilemma

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
AFTER four weeks of false starts, the prince of Brookvale Brett Stewart is on target to make his long-awaited return for Manly against Canberra Monday night.And former World Cup winger David 'Wolfman' Williams made his return from injury in front of a handful of fans in the NSW Cup at North Sydney Oval yesterday.The highly-paid duo represents a dilemma for the Sea Eagles, with the club's backline stocks already overflowing with talent.

Read the full article

It'd be great to see Brett back on the field fully fit. Then we'll see the worlds greatest fullback in action, not the pretender who went around last night.

Cambo said:
tookey said:
No place for wolfie in next years playing roster

I think wolf offers us more than robbo he'd be the one I let go

You have been living in Qld too long, cleary stupidity is contagious. How does Wolf offer more when he is constantly injured?

I would say Wolf is a better player but he is injured so much we get much more value from Robbo.

Wolf will probably be the one to miss out. Zorba didn't say it in so many words this morning but that was the gist.

Cambo said:
tookey said:

I cant agree there, Robbo never misses a game, never plays badly and is probably on half the money of Wolfman.

Its a no brainer.

bob dylan said:
Cambo said:
tookey said:

I cant agree there, Robbo never misses a game, never plays badly and is probably on half the money of Wolfman.
Yes but for how much longer (will Robbo be around)? He's much older than Wolfie so I'd like to think Wolfie has many more playing years, and speed, left in him than Robbo. Also if Wolfie's on $250K I doubt Robbo's on half that, I'd say at least 2/3's.

Granted Wolfie hasn't played much this year or last but should now be given several more rounds to prove himself. Just as Snake will be given probably the rest of this year at least to prove himself - and at $450K so he should.

At this stage if one has to be squeezed out, I agree it should be Robbo, or T-Rex.

Robbo's getting on, very safe but losing that pace he had. Need quick wingers for sure on our backline. Brett is on huge dough at 450k

It's all in timing if wolf has an injury prone year he may be cut loose, T-rex if off contract and could also be a casualty if we are to keep Hoppa. We have Oldfield to cover for wolf, and Buhrer needs to be re-signed aswell. Hopefully we front loaded the contracts of the current core group.

ALinda said:
bob dylan said:
Cambo said:
tookey said:

Yes but for how much longer (will Robbo be around)? He's much older than Wolfie so I'd like to think Wolfie has many more playing years, and speed, left in him than Robbo. Also if Wolfie's on $250K I doubt Robbo's on half that, I'd say at least 2/3's.

Granted Wolfie hasn't played much this year or last but should now be given several more rounds to prove himself. Just as Snake will be given probably the rest of this year at least to prove himself - and at $450K so he should.

At this stage if one has to be squeezed out, I agree it should be Robbo, or T-Rex.

Robbo is old getting older,his finishing isnt anywhere near 2008 level and his speed is declining faster than he can run

Wolfman, Robbo, T Rex, Kite and big Joe all gone this year....Stay with the youth and keep the youth......

We have a mile of quality backs and backrowers....its the front row that needs a good look at.

We have a quality side that with a few key purchases will be unbeatable.

Whos taking your fantasy other wing?

Id love to agree with Joe but his form is **** hot
T Rex is still......adjusting to positional change and will be an animal
Kite needs to fly away

From memory both Robbo & Wolfman resigned after the 08 premiership. Whilst Robbo isn't on as much as Wolfman it would definitely be a lot more than half. The average of both is probably a smidge over $200k which in a salary cap era, is probably too much for a couple of wingers.

The question is, who will replace Kite, and how much are we prepared to spend on him? If Kite is prepared to stay on say 200K, who would say no to that? Pretty reliable, won't get picked for rep footy. Get an origin prop and you lose them for 3 or 4 weeks a year. T Rex is someone who should be given some more time. I think he will be a Dave Taylor type player, big enough to play prop, but fast enough to be a wide running 2nd rower or even centre, just needs more development in defence.

Our problem is definitely in the props. Unless Vic Mauro can pile on another 5 to 10kg of muscle over the next off season, he may just be too small. Quite a polar opposite George Rose who is just too big, but still seems to be able to play with that weight. The only bonus for George is having 2 second rowers and a hooker that all play 80 minutes well. That leaves 3 forwards that need replacing, and 10 interchanges to do it, so none of them are really required to play big minutes. On average, 4 forwards on the bench and 3 on the field, each of those 7 players is required for about 35 minutes, fitness isnt that important, size and mobility is.

Robbo is 28, hardly that old. A 2 year deal on smart money would be great for the club, even if it is to cover injuries. Assuming TRex is in the forwards for good, you need atleast 2 decent covering backs, maybe even 3. Starting would be...

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Hopoate

As it is now.

Covering = Oldfield, Whare then others like davey, chapman, etc, should we hit dire straights.

Lyon is largely our back up half as well, if one of our current halves go down, lyon moves to 5/8.

jabroni said:
Robbo is 28, hardly that old. A 2 year deal on smart money would be great for the club, even if it is to cover injuries. Assuming TRex is in the forwards for good, you need atleast 2 decent covering backs, maybe even 3. Starting would be...

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Lyon
4. Matai
5. Hopoate

As it is now.

Covering = Oldfield, Whare then others like davey, chapman, etc, should we hit dire straights.

Lyon is largely our back up half as well, if one of our current halves go down, lyon moves to 5/8.

Yes Robbo is not that old. At 28 he does have some years left in him.

I can't see the fascination in the Wolfman. Sure he's a cult figure, runs the ball back at 1000 miles an hour and has pace to burn but he also has a number of deficiencies in his game. Who can remember the shocker he had in the State of Origin dropping the ball on two occasions as he ran it back? He has more errors in his game (drop balls, missed tackles, etc). The Wolfman also has a habit (like Oldfield) of coming in off his wing in defense and not marking his man which leaves the opposing winger unmarked for an easy passage to the try-line.

Robbo is more of a complete player, stronger defender (very rarely is caught out of position), less prone to making mistakes and is much safer under the high ball, and at gathering the ball back from kicks. Robbo can also cover at fullback if needed (not as crucial now that we have Hoppa). He also has not missed a game in something like 137 appearances.

If we really get pressed fitting everything under the cap I don't see why the club can't let both Robbo & Williams go. We know that Hoppa & Oldfield can do the job & there is still Whare sitting behind them who has already shown that he has the talent to be a first grader.

Wingers are a dime a dozen, there is plenty of outside back talent in the NYC at the moment. I'd rather see the club having trouble with depth outside rather than struggling in the forwards.

Good backs equal points though. The sharks and bunnies are a great example of that at the moment. To a degree, canberra as well

Manly have enough backup if we lose both Robbo and Wolf. If it came down to kepping one it would be Robbo, Wolf is a great winger but he's injury prone and is taking up dollars that could be redirected towards Hoppa.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6