News: Sunday, footy Sunday

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
i like how they are calling the design of brookvale's redevelopment a horseshoe more like horse**** if you ask me

Yes good luck Manly with gallop....Firstly u will have to tell him what day it is.

Dont know why everyone is bagging a few ideas on Brookies Development...At least people are talking about it.....Better than previous years

This is a dead set gee up. Are the Manly officials serious? Every team in the comp gets bigger crowds on a Sunday afternoon! Can you imagine how 15 clubs will react if we are guaranteed Sunday arvo games and they aren't? If you are going to go to the NRL to argue something, make it something there at least a chance of, not this waste of time.

Do I personally want more Manly games on Sunday? Hell yeah. But in reality this is a 16 team comp and those other teams and the NRL will never agree to this.

They should schedule all Home v Away games so that the specific day of the week timeslots work out even for all teams over every 2 years, and also work out roughly even for each during each time of year - i.e. warmer or colder months.

Captain of the Gate said:
This is a dead set gee up. Are the Manly officials serious? Every team in the comp gets bigger crowds on a Sunday afternoon! Can you imagine how 15 clubs will react if we are guaranteed Sunday arvo games and they aren't? If you are going to go to the NRL to argue something, make it something there at least a chance of, not this waste of time.

Do I personally want more Manly games on Sunday? Hell yeah. But in reality this is a 16 team comp and those other teams and the NRL will never agree to this.

Cronulla and NQ requested more Saturday night matches several years ago because that is where they get the best crowds, similarly Brisbane and the Titans prefer Friday nights. Have a look at how many each of them get per season. Friday night footy always features a Titans or Donkeys game because NQ do not get Friday night games which would be part of the obligatory Queensland Friday night scheduling. Obviously noone wants Monday night games but these are not distributed equally, no team should get more than 2 home Monday night games and more than 4 total (home + away). Scheduling should not be left to the tv networks which have little to no interest in the individual clubs and the equality of scheduling.

Games against traditional rivals should be played on a Sunday. The newer teams that we struggle to get a crowd for on other nights simple solution(Titans, Cowboys, Raiders etc).

I'd agree with that. Manly v Parra should always be on a Sunday. Same goes for Tigers, Knights and Roosters. They are always good crowds and the club should be allowed to make as much money as they can for these games. Canberra, GC and to a lesser extent Melbourne will get better crowds on a Sunday but the difference will be far less.

At the moment every club gets 12 home games, 12 away games and 2 byes. Each club should get to choose the allocation of 6 of their 12 home games at the start of the season. Then the NRL schedule the remainder of all matches.

EagleRock40 said:
At the moment every club gets 12 home games, 12 away games and 2 byes. Each club should get to choose the allocation of 6 of their 12 home games at the start of the season. Then the NRL schedule the remainder of all matches.

And if everyone want to schedule Sunday?
Not a bad idea but just wouldn't work

We may not get what we ask for but I like the fact that our administration is being active. We all prefer Brookie on a Sunday afternoon so good on management for expressing our wishes.

You must have heard about the squeaky wheel...

The Who said:
We may not get what we ask for but I like the fact that our administration is being active. We all prefer Brookie on a Sunday afternoon so good on management for expressing our wishes.

You must have heard about the squeaky wheel...

nah, i keep them oiled up regularly

It wont happen, but in my opinion the schedule should be

1 game on Friday nights
2 games on Saturday nights
5 games on Sundays.

The problem is the schedule of the w/end (but not who plays which games) needs to be done to gain maximum cash from the tv deal.

The above scenario doesn't give the tv networks the opportunity to spread the games across the w/end to maximise viewer numbers, hence more advertising dollars, hence more money to give to the NRL for broadcasting rights.

And as a side note, personally I prefer Saturdays or Fridays over Sundays.

bob dylan said:

1 game on Friday nights
5 games on Sundays.

How would you schedule 5 games on a Sunday so all could be televised?

Fonz said:
bob dylan said:

1 game on Friday nights
5 games on Sundays.

How would you schedule 5 games on a Sunday so all could be televised?

Pretty simple, hit the red button. Or check the Channel 9 schedule for Friday nights.

That would kill the TV rights deal. The NRL isn't the NFL, they can't afford to make the stations dance to their tune & be grateful for it.

I think the current set up is fine, the only big change I could possibly think of is to swap the Monday game to Thursday & see how it goes there.

If the tv rights are high enough then it makes revenue from game day less significant

To make the TV rights more attractive the games need to be in "prime time" therefore not at a user friendly time (can anyone get to a 5:30 sat game? I have no issue being around a tv though...)

Not great but it is the way of the world

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4