News: Thurston tests the water in Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>JOHNATHAN Thurston has held secret talks with Sydney clubs in the most definitive sign yet the Cowboys superstar is considering quitting North Queensland.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4448-thurston-tests-the-water-in-sydney.html">Read the full article</a>

I'm not rocked and copyalater!

"AUSTRALIAN Test halfback Johnathan Thurston has rocked rugby league with the stunning admission he is considering a switch to the rival code rugby union. "I could easily see myself being a Wallaby," the champion halfback told The Daily Telegraph.

Thurston said he didn't share the same sense of lifetime loyalty to rugby league felt by Australian captain Darren Lockyer, who has rejected several past approaches from the 15-man code.

While the North Queensland Cowboys remain confident of securing Thurston long-term, there are genuine fears the dual Dally M Medal winner and Queensland poster boy will defect to rugby after next year's NRL season.

"I could easily play rugby. I watch the Wallabies and a fair bit of it and I could certainly see myself playing the game," Thurston said. "I have to think about what's best for me, and if playing rugby is what's best for me, I'll take that option up."

Thurston's comments will go down like a lead balloon in rugby league circles. As the game is moving to unite under an independent commission - partly to help pay its best players more - the man rated by many as the No. 1 star in the game is now talking of deserting the code.

Rugby union, which has already poached NRL superstars Mark Gasnier and Sonny Bill Williams in recent years, has the bank-roll to lure Thurston.

The Australian Rugby Union's new Super 15 franchise Melbourne, set to launch in 2011, is hunting an inaugural pin-up boy.

And Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub already has in his possession a $1.1 million-per-year offer from Japanese rugby.

Ayoub is also seeking formal interest from the ARU and prospective Super 14 clubs. "Everything ... lifestyle, code, the Cowboys, my representative jerseys ... these are all things I am weighing up," Thurston said. "I wouldn't say it's a stressful situation to be in.

"It could be worse, that no one wants a part of me, so it's pretty exciting. Now it's about making the right decision.

"I need to chat to my family. I've had a chat to my manager about a couple of things, but I still need to explore my options with rugby."

Asked if he shared the stance of Test record-holder Lockyer, who has declared "I could never leave the game to chase a bigger cheque", the Cowboys captain said: "I don't really think about it like that. I could easily go if I think it's the right option."

At least two rival NRL outfits - including the Bulldogs - have held talks with the star No. 7. A key asset in the Cowboys' favour is Thurston's girlfriend Samantha Lynch, the club's sponsorship manager, with the couple settled in Townsville."
Matt Marshall  Daily Telegraph

I would think he would be a number 10 in rugby rather than a half back (which is more like a hooker)

I would have thought the ARU would have moved on from targeting NRL players - I would have thought between Wndell, Lote & Tahu they would have lost enough cash without a hell of a return.

lsz link said:
I would think he would be a number 10 in rugby rather than a half back (which is more like a hooker)
  He'd be a crap 5/8th - too much like the dross Australia traditionally put into that position.  His kicking game and decision making is simply not up to the task to be a top class fly half. 

What high profile (or even low profile) leaguie doesn't float the idea of defecting to RU when it's contract re-negotiation time. Just trying to pump up his "value". Agree with Mata in that he wouldn't make a number 9 in RU, and not sure about his value in the 10 jersey either.

Can't see any of the Aussie Super 14 franchises picking him up....maybe Melbourne ?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=lsz link=topic=182157.msg247471#msg247471 date=1260830819]
  He'd be a crap 5/8th - too much like the dross Australia traditionally put into that position.  His kicking game and decision making is simply not up to the task to be a top class fly half. 
[/quote]

Agree but his passing game is not up to a 9 standard - you would have to wonder about a player that would be moving for money only

I think there are some who move for a challenge (i.e. burgess would have gotten more money in the UK than here) but you are right the majority move for cash

possibly, but he is hardly on the breadline.

And then there is uncle Russels bag of cash under the table

Fro link said:
possibly, but he is hardly on the breadline.

And then there is uncle Russels bag of cash under the table
  Burgess gets to star as little John in the 58th remake of Robin Hood scheduled for 2020.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Crowe paid Bradford a $500,000 transfer fee, but can't be certain.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything similar.

Also wonder if JT will think about living expenses i.e. has to be cheaper to live in FNQ than syd

but then again you have to live in FNQ. Cairns would be alright but I didn't like Townsville when i lived there. The chicks were alright but everything else sucked.

Zep link said:
but then again you have to live in FNQ. Cairns would be alright but I didn't like Townsville when i lived there. The chicks were alright but everything else sucked.
  I went back there this year after 10 years away and was pleasantly surprised.  It's a hell of a lot better than it was when I grew up there!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6