News: Truth and vindication by Wendy Harmer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p>THIS is a cautionary tale. The story of how, if you extend a hand of support to someone who's in the middle of a media feeding frenzy, you might just get your arm ripped off.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5192-truth-and-vindication-by-wendy-harmer.html">Read the full article</a>

Go Wendy. Good article that and shows how ridiculous the media's response to the eagles angels were.

I sent a not too kind message to the weasel who wrote that article but of course there has been no response nor expected. I am sure he hasn't crawlled out from under the rock where he habits yet.

Does anyone have the articles or sources attacking the Eagle Angles so the authors can be added to the shame list?

Rex link said:
Does anyone have the articles or sources attacking the Eagle Angles so the authors can be added to the shame list?
Spiro Zavos and Peter Fitzsimons.  I would suggest I'd boycott books written by the latter but I don't buy them anyway.  They're crap.

Fitzimons has written several pieces in this weekend's papers. However the silence on the Brett Stewart issue has been deafening.....

He is always very quick to jump on the moral high horse when it suits but obviously slower to acknowledge his own errors.

Disgraceful.....

Fitzwhatever another self inflated, over opinionated, rugby union knob who shows up on a dirty story like flies on ****.

Considering we are all pretty dirty about News Ltd's role and everyone is talking protests and boycotts, etc.  Just playing the devil's advocate but howcome no one has suggested that Wendy Harmer should have resigned from the Telegraph in protest or at least had a crack "decent" crack at the News Ltd reporting?  She had a bit of a crack at Fairfax but to be honest, after reading the headline I expected a bit more.

Spiro Zavis' article on the Roar makes for interesting reading.  He really made a huge fool of himself apart from possibly opening himself up to defamation proceedings.  Here it is, with my comments in bold:
-----

When the Brett Stewart affair blasted its way on to the radio airwaves, the television screens and the newspaper front and back pages, the immediate reaction was what did the self-styled Eagles Angels, a group of prominent women in Sydney, make of it all.
The Angels include Johanna Griggs, Sarah Murdoch (who is often photographed in a Manly jersey), Louise Sauvage, Layne Beachley, Brooke Hanson, Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, triathlete Nici Andronicus, and Wendy Harmer, the no-nonsense comedian.Many of the Angels are mothers.
All of them, one would guess, have come up against objectionable male macho behaviour in their private and public lives. All of them, too, have passion for rugby league generally and the Manly club in particular.
Their Angels support group for the club reflects that passion and also a PR attempt to match the ‘soccer mum’ syndrome that has helped football to spread throughout the suburbs of Sydney.
Syndrome? How Male-Chauvinist-Pig of you, Spiro.  Beat the wife do you?
The day the Stewart affair broke in the Sydney Morning Herald, Jacquelin Magnay, an award-winning sports writer, ran an article which was headlined: Angels give their vote of support.
The vote of support, amazingly, was for Stewart and not the teenager who was allegedly harassed by the Manly star.
Nothing at all amazing there, was there Spiro?
Harmer was quoted as saying that many of the Angels would be very pleased to provide a reference for Stewart: “On a personal basis, we have found him very respectful, well-mannered and a humble person.”
My wife (who was a founder of the Women’s Electoral Lobby in New Zealand) could not believe this statement when she read it: “Where is the concern for the young women in all of this?”, she asked.
Where is your wife’s concern for a fair trial before declaring guilt, Spiro? Where is your and your wife’s outrage about false allegations now, Spiro? Cat got the tongue?

Magnay also reported that many of the Angels were too distressed about the allegation to comment.
Again, the emphasis seemed to be on protecting Stewart rather than showing even a shred of solidarity or concern for a teenager who was put through an experience that the Angels would surely not wish any of their daughters to have to go through.
If your mates are ever falsely accused of anything, we know who will be the first and second persons in line to dump them without character references, Spiro, eh?  Number 1 you, number 2 the wife.
Even after Stewart was charged by the police, we are still waiting for the Eagles Angels to express their outrage at what has happened to the teenager.
Exactly what did happen to the teenager, Spiro?  Nothing?  Don’t believe in fair trials, eh?
For that matter, we are waiting still for them to apologise to the young woman whose father (a Manly sponsor) was hit by Anthony Watmough when he tried to stop the player from pestering his daughter at the now infamous Manly 2009 season launch.
You were there and saw the fullness of what happened Spiro? Or are you just some omniscient being?
Lenin knew a thing or two about propaganda and he used the phrase the ‘useful idiots’ to describe true believers who were prepared to put the cause ahead of the any other consideration.
The Eagles Angels have been ‘useful idiots’ for the Manly Eagles club. They had stood by their man, Stewart, despite the allegations and the court charge.
Their credibility is destroyed.
Excuse me Spiro, whose credibility is destroyed?  Yeah that’s right.  That would be you. And who is a useful idiot for the Roar? Ditto
Their reason for existing, which was to show how women-friendly the rugby league code really is, has been destroyed. Their judgment is appalling.
Actually their judgement has been shown to be spot on, and they have enhanced the role of women in Rugby League.  Correct?  Now whose judgement has proven to be appalling?  Take a bow once again, Spiro.

How they could defend Stewart, before the facts of the matter had been established and later by their silence after he has been charged, defies all understanding.
Do you understand now Spiro, or is it still too complex for you?
How can anyone take seriously what Harmer has to say about social issues, or sports matters, when she puts forward the notion that “we found him (Stewart) very respectful, well-mannered and a humble person” as an argument against him doing what he was alleged to have done to a teenager who had none of the prestige or standing in the community that she and the other Eagles Angels had.
Actually Wendy was proven 100% correct in what she said, and you were proven 100% incorrect, Spiro. That would lead to shrewd people taking her seriously, and not taking you seriously, Spiro. Yes?

The point about thuggish behaviour by drunken players is that it is invariably inflicted on people who do not have the power to stop it. Even the ‘useful idiots’ should have known this.
The point about thuggish reporters is that it is invariably inflicted on people who do not have the power to stop it. Even the ‘useful idiots’ (i.e. that would be YOU, Spiro, and your misses) should have known this.

There are many in the press who won't be forgiven by me.

Fitzsimmons is one. It hurts him to ever say anything good about Manly - I can forgive that (no one likes us....). But he put the boot into Stewart calling for his immediate stand-down until the trial was over. Sure, most employees deserve to lose income for 18 months based on someone's say-so! um NO Peter.

And this idiot Zavis is typical of the breed. I can have some sympathy if they had read the headlines that put Brett in a horrendous light in the following days but somehwere common sense should have ignited a lightbulb in these people's heads.

All round - not good enough folks. If you give it out then expect to handle the criticism when you get it wrong.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=185667.msg300715#msg300715 date=1286078286]
Spiro Zavos and Peter Fitzsimons.  I would suggest I'd boycott books written by the latter but I don't buy them anyway.  They're crap.
[/quote]

Have you read Kokoda?

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=185667.msg300717#msg300717 date=1286080624]
[/quote]

Have you read Kokoda?
[/quote]

I hope he suffered.

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=185667.msg300717#msg300717 date=1286080624]
[/quote]

Have you read Kokoda?
[/quote]  I made it halfway through and decided to wait for Les Carlyon to do a version.  Fitzsimons is far to jingoistic and folksy. 

On Fatzsimons:
What's the bet that SG-I make his team of the week in next Saturday's paper?
Of course Manly didn't when they won 40-0 two years ago.

And what about his howlers in yesterday's Sun-Herald?
Apparently St George entered the competition as a foundation club in 1908, not 1921 as every good league historian knows. But of course that entity left the competition in 1998 and re-entered the following year as an entirely new entity.
He has an engaging style but his 'research' is often pathetic.

He's as irritating with his agendas as Phil Gould.  What's with the constant carry on about people referring to themselves in the third person.  IF Matas wants to do that, why should Mata not?

Matabele link said:
He's as irritating with his agendas as Phil Gould.  What's with the constant carry on about people referring to themselves in the third person.  IF Matas wants to do that, why should Mata not?

His carry on was funny the first five times. The next 475 got a bit old though.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6