News: TV channels fight for NRL and AFL deals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>A $2 billion television bidding war for rugby league and AFL kicked off inside two trendy eastern suburbs restaurants on Thursday night.</p>
<p />

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4533-tv-channels-fight-for-nrl-and-afl-deals.html">Read the full article</a>

After what Ch7 did to the tennis I hope they get nowhere near the RL.  The NRL (or whatever replaces it) should lobby the Federal Govt to take League off the anti-siphoning monopoly list so there can be some genuine competition.  The pay tv channels would triple their business if they had exclusivity of League and would pay accordingly.  And they'd do a far better job of blanket coverage (witness the 4 channels devoted to the winter Olympic circus).

Seven was poor with the tennis but 9 have been just as poor over the years with both the cricket and even Wimbledon and other events. They are all beholden to their news/current affairs rather than the right thing by the sport. Something needs to be written into contracts to ensure the stations behave!!! I would like to see a shared job, similar to the AFL with 9 and 10 sharing games.

Canteen Worker link said:
Something needs to be written into contracts to ensure the stations behave!!!
  No.  Just take away their anti-siphoning monopoly and they'll sober up real fast.  Australia must be one of the few countries left where live sport is the domain of so few. 

Most of us would get free to air live NBA, NFL, MLB.

Its a shame we can muster just 1 live game of league on free to air per week.

Flip link said:

To be fair Flip Channel 9 do give us 2 games on Friday night, we can only watch 1 at a time so I guess the second game is as good as being "live".

No the second (replayed) game is virtually impossible to watch because they put twice the ads in to make up for the first one being live, I tried once or twice and they seem to go forever.

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=Flip link=topic=182400.msg251223#msg251223 date=1265536903]

To be fair Flip Channel 9 do give us 2 games on Friday night, we can only watch 1 at a time so I guess the second game is as good as being "live".
[/quote]  He's right in saying 1 live game a week which is ridiculous.  Even worse, on a Friday the game shown depends on the state you live in.  Whilst Fox sports have viewers' choice freely available.  It's a joke.

Corso_Pete link said:
To be fair Flip Channel 9 do give us 2 games on Friday night, we can only watch 1 at a time so I guess the second game is as good as being \"live\".

Yeah i thought about that myself before posting. But in the end live is only what you get to see 'as it happens'. 'Technically they are providing two live feeds per week. In reality they are only providing 1 effective stream per household based on location.

I miss the Saturday afternoon live ABC game that used to the best telecast of the week. Now we have to put up with Sydney Club Rugby or AFL on the commercials with no league till 5 pm.

At least you get 1 game.......

We get the Friday night games at midnight and 2 am!!!!

It it wasnt for Fox i'd just about have to give up supporting league.

clontaago link said:
At least you get 1 game.......

We get the Friday night games at midnight and 2 am!!!!

It it wasnt for Fox i'd just about have to give up supporting league.

And so far gallop has done SFA to rectify this farcical situation, other than to mumble something along the lines of "use it or lose it" followed up with..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Criminal.

Especially considering Channel 9 now have separate digital and analogue channels.

Show NZ customs or Police Ten 7 on analogue and put the ****ing league on the digital channel instead of having the same program on both!!!!

I just don't get it with the farcical Melbourne TV thing.  Is'nt Gyngell a League fan?  I thought he had something to do with the Roosters.  Maybe I'm wrong there, but surely the Storm, Gallop and others could force 9 to get on board.   

All items that need to be negotiated as part of this new deal. With Gallop running the show though I suspect nothing will change.

clontaago link said:
Especially considering Channel 9 now have separate digital and analogue channels.

Show NZ customs or Police Ten 7 on analogue and put the F**king league on the digital channel instead of having the same program on both!!!!

I am optimistically hoping the Go! channel will have the league this year.  I doubt it though

Why not 10 sports HD ? or are they moer interested in paying only a small amount for sport such as basball & german soccer to fill up their progam.

They won't show the League on 9 in Melbourne in Prime time as it rates nothing, despite the fact that Gronk and Clon are huge!!! Go might be a chance but it is AFL forever down there and evermore twill be so.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6