News: Warriors close to Matai deal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
<p> </p>
<p>Manly Sea Eagles and Kiwi international centre Steve Matai is close to signing a two-year deal with the Warriors.

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/4913-warriors-close-to-matai-deal.html">Read the full article</a>

Sad if we lose Matai !
On the other hand I have a bit of a soft spot for the Warriors so I hope they choose Blair over White.

It was always likely going to happen this year. We will be under a lot more cap pressure that we think as we struggle to keep a lot of stars.

Ballin, both stewarts, King etc all deserve large contracts, as such we will start to suffer a little.

Warriors will have a bit of cash as it is, add to that Pricey announcing he has played his last footy means more salary cap freedom for them

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
WTF, what is Lowe doing ?

Nothing to do with Lowe, is all salary cap. The Warriors have plenty of dough up their sleeve and the ability to blow us out of the water with any offer they put up

Tate was on 400K, Price would have been similar, they weren't spending their entire cap either. Mateo is apparently 400k+, Inu I would guess they have spent 250-300K on

Well, this sounds a wee bit better in this article, work you magic Desmond

"Kiwis international Steve Matai could be close to putting pen to paper with the Warriors on a two-year deal.
But the Manly Sea Eagles aren't about to give up their man without a fight.
Sunday News reported last weekend that the Kiwis and Manly hard man, who is off contract this year, was being lined up by the Auckland-based club as a replacement for Brent Tate next year.
At the time, Matai's agent - Gavin Orr - suggested the Aucklander was interested in moving home.
''I think Steve would move home because he's still got a lot of family over there in New Zealand,'' Orr told Sunday News.
Since then, the Warriors have moved fast and it's understood a two-year deal has already been tabled to Matai.
But Manly CEO Graham Lowe said despite the Warriors' interest in the hard-hitting centre, he was optimistic a deal could be done to keep him in Sydney.
"We are working through that and I'm pretty optimistic that we will be able to keep him," Lowe told Stuff.
"But it's always difficult, particularly when the player wants to stay.
"But sometimes if you have got to let players go, you have to let them go.
"I'm optimistic in Steve's case that we will be able to keep him.
"I know (coach) Des Hasler is working pretty hard on that."

I was thinking if we don't retain Matai does anyone else think we (Manly) might have a play for Paul Whatuira (spelling) who's just came back from Huddersfield. Just thinking might be able to pick him up on the cheap.

Salary cap has just been increased....we r losing more than we r gaining....we wernt over last year and had room for purchases.....evrey other team is buying except us....Hello Mr lowe

I swear i heard that Matai bought his younger brother over from Auckland as to keep him away from the gangs there. That is a plus for keeping him on the northern beaches.

If he goes, he goes.  That's football life.  I'd be sorry, but we can bring on Whare.  Give him time next to Lyon and he can learn a decent defensive structure.  Speed is what he has, and isn't that one thing posters have called for?

What about the hard yakka Matai has brought this year?
As for the Lowe Love-fest from Ryan, two other posters easily beat me to it :)

He's been great this year, aside from the three week suspension.  That's part of the problem with him.  Suspensions just don't get my vote.  With his stupid play leading to that suspension, then Lyon went down, it left us skinny.  I didn't like that, and neither would the club I guess.   

Frogz link said:
Salary cap has just been increased....we r losing more than we r gaining....we wernt over last year and had room for purchases.....evrey other team is buying except us....Hello Mr lowe

Foran = BIG upgrade
Stewart = Upgrade
Lyon = Upgrade
Watmough = Upgrade

Perry gone...mattai gone..... and a few more to come....and we had money left last year remember. Orford/Beaver gone  before these upgrades, that paid for them with the coin they was on....doesnt add up to me. Who have we signed big since then

matai wll be a HUGE loss ,of course life and manly goes on but it will be a sad day and ive said it before and ill say it again any player who leaves manly regrets it not just because its a great club but also the life style on the northern beaches just cant be beat :)

i agree about the too many wingers comment

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4