News: Warriors release pivot Witt

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<strong>SPECULATION the New Zealand Warriors are looking to make a bid for Kiwi international Greg Eastwood gathered momentum yesterday when the Auckland-based club told five-eighth and playmaker Michael Witt he was free to leave.</strong> <p>Witt joins fellow half Grant Rovelli and backrower Epalahame Lauaki as members of Ivan Cleary's squad granted a release since the end of last season. The Warriors have also lost Sonny Fai, who drowned off a West Auckland beach last month. </p> <p>The departures fueled rumours surrounding the Warriors' interest in securing Eastwood, which were first revealed in The Australian last week. </p> <p>Eastwood's application for a work visa so he could play for Leeds Rhinos in England was rejected by the British government earlier this month. </p> <p>A disappointed Witt said he felt slighted by the club, having been forced to reject a big offer from English Super League club Hull last year when the Warriors reportedly reneged on an agreement to release him. </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/General-NRL/warriors-release-pivot-witt.html">Read the full article</a>

So you like the new DiscussBot BE? I trust it suits the needs quite well?

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
works really good,
back on topic now Dan

It's a shame I never had too many issues with Witt, I know he had some brain explosions and some soft defense at times but his kicking game certainly helps him and he is worth more than being released, though it sounds as though he may have asked for a release.

IMO he would be the almost perfect English Super League player, he has a bit of pace, kicking game and the defense seems to be easier over there, else Scott Donald would be struggling

Witt's an ordinary player but won the game against the Storm for them last year and a few others with his boot.  If Jones get's injured, which he will at his age, then they'll fold.  I had tipped them to be a big improvers in 09, but not any more.  Witt will probably go over to England or France.  'Free to leave', does that mean they pay out his contract?

I was thinking the other day about ex Manly players still going around in the NRL. There isn't one that you'd want back at Brooky really is there ? None of these would get a run in our current squad barring some bad luck with injuries.

Witt
Burns
Steppa
Donnelly
Cleal
Cannings
Halfasanga
Groom
any others ?

Shows that our recruitment and retention has been bloody good over the last 3-4 years.

I reckon he'd be a good pickup for Melbourne.

He's not great, he never has been, but he'd be on the cheap, he'd just be able to stand next to Cronk and let Cronk/Cam Smith do all the creative work. Provides an extra option when kicking out of your own half as well - which in turn gives Inglis/Smith/Cronk more time to make because you have to have one defender expecting Witt could get the ball.

It allows the Storm to leave Inglis in the centres, Witt can kick goals, which takes more pressure/responsibility off Cam Smith.

Actually, it's a pretty reasonable solution. His career will be sunk if he goes to the Panthers. Not only will they struggle, but their halves will get absolutely no time to put together a decent partnership...they'll be changed all year, Witt will spend loads of time in Premier League and will be turfed next year when the Panthers unload heaps of cash to find a decent partner for Wade Graham.

Chip & Chase link said:
I was thinking the other day about ex Manly players still going around in the NRL. There isn't one that you'd want back at Brooky really is there ? None of these would get a run in our current squad barring some bad luck with injuries.

Witt
Burns
Steppa
Donnelly
Cleal
Cannings
Halfasanga
Groom
any others ?

Shows that our recruitment and retention has been bloody good over the last 3-4 years.

I'd think about having Shrek back in the team

Not ahead of Kite, Perry or dare I say it...even King.

He's on a hefty pay packet and his body is giving up. I don't think he'll see out his contract at the Roosters.

Did he ever play for Manly ? I thought he was just around during the dark Northern Eagles days

Never played for Manly and his best years were at the Dogs.  He's a complete idiot to boot.

NE was close enough to Manly He is past his best, but he would be one of the only losses I would think about having back who is still in the NRL.

He has been shafted

Was told last season that he was allowed to find a deal for himself, did that with Hull apparently, then they said they wanted to keep him, and now Cleary has told him he doesn't feature in their plans. Would have been a long way down the list i expect in terms of the halves, they have really bought big in that area, promising Moon 1st crack at 6, and around him Jones, Fien, Foran and also another couple of reasonable young blokes, O'Regan and 1 other, name escapes me at the mo

Witt was even left out of their 24 last weekend and played reserve grade

Dan, The NE's were not even close.  Mata did a brilliant, for him, story on the demise of the NE's which was worth reading to your children around the fire on a cold night. Actually all that Shrek wanted to do was fight that other stoopid NE prop who played for Parra after the NE ship had sunk. (forgotten his name)  

i have always liked Witt. This sounds a bit slack by warriors as it seems that he was going to be picked up by Hull.

He would do well at souths.

Stacey Jones wont play all year, fien plays hooker, Rovelli at the cowgirls, ropati cant kick and Liam Foran hasnt played much first grade - who will be 5/8 now - Warriors are now goners.

I thought they were a team to fear this year but now they lose alot without Rovelli and Witt.

Are you kidding Zep, or just being facetious?  Witt needs some handy defenders around him.  Sandow and Witt together would be not one speed bump, but two.  Then again, I hate Souths, so yeah, he would do well there.  Loyalty is a give and take thing which I just don't think the Warriors understand.  

DSM5 link said:
Dan, The NE's were not even close.  Mata did a brilliant, for him, story on the demise of the NE's which was worth reading to your children around the fire on a cold night. Actually all that Shrek wanted to do was fight that other stoopid NE prop who played for Parra after the NE ship had sunk. (forgotten his name)  

Paul Stringer?

I liked Witt, he did well for us (as that was all we had) and seems to be a good bloke.  Shame on the Warriors though, i thought they were better than that.  Hope Witt gets picked up by the ESL soon.  I'd hate to have played for a club, help them in winning through the finals series and then being told you're 3rd choice 5/8.  But i'm just a viewer and fan so i dont really know about all this (hence why i've stayed out of the whole Manly board issue) and will leave it up to those involved.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2