News: What Shane Webcke didn't want you to see

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
AFTER we were the first to reveal that Shane Webcke had pulped his controversial book, we can now unveil the explosive extracts he didn't want seen. / The Daily Telegraph<div class="article-media"><div class="media-caption"> </div> </div> <span class="story-summary-bold"> KANGAROOS legend Shane Webcke has sensationally bought the copyright to his own book so he can have it pulped just days before its planned public release. </span> <p>Webcke yesterday demanded <em>Hard Road: Tough Thoughts On A Tough Game</em> be spiked despite 7000 copies having already been printed. The decision was made after Webcke had second thoughts about criticising the Brisbane Broncos and Immortal Andrew Johns.</p> <p>He was able to successfully block the book's public release, which was to be serialised in <em>The Sunday Telegraph</em> this week, by buying the copyright from publisher Pan MacMillan.</p><p>The stunning development to assume rights has cost the retired league legend - now back at the Broncos as an assistant coach - a substantial sum. But it could ultimately prove a financial windfall in the event Webcke opts to release the tell-all book in the future.</p><p><em>The Daily Telegraph</em> can reveal the Queenslander was concerned about a controversial chapter slamming the club's handling of boozy behaviour and sexual assault allegations last year. He was also worried about revelations of his own depression after retiring, plus two chapters devoted to Johns.</p> <p><strong><em>Toilet Tryst</em></strong> </p> <p>"What took place in September, and the club's response to it, led to something that had never happened before in my life and probably will never happen again: I went to a Broncos game not caring if they won or not." </p> <p><strong><em>Hunt, Boyd, Thaiday</em></strong> </p> <p>"The three players involved should <em>not</em> have been allowed to play in that match against the Storm. I believe that the majority of ordinary, decent people who make up our community would have supported such a stance and would have admired the Broncos for taking it.</p> <p>"The fact that we had three players in a public toilet with a woman, and drunken players kicked out of hotels, should have been enough for us to say: 'You're not going to play!' That would have been the best and clearest way for the club to tackle it: to stand down the players. It would have been a stance of real strength that would have been applauded, I'm sure, by all fair-minded people.</p> <p>"Yes, the players had been given the green light to go out drinking that day - but, as far as I'm concerned, their behaviour went far beyond the boundaries of what is acceptable." </p> <p><strong><em>Bruno Cullen</em></strong> </p> <p>"At the time I discussed the issue at length with Bruno Cullen and left him in no doubt about my views . . . I told Bruno of my belief that we could never go wrong doing the right thing." </p> <p><strong><em>Andrew Johns</em></strong> </p> <p>"I don't have the slightest doubt that rugby league's administrators, all the way to the top of the ARL and the NRL, would have known of Andrew Johns' lifestyle and problems. Who <em>didn't</em> know? I knew. </p> <p><strong><em>Team Of The Century</em></strong> </p> <p>"If I had been a judge on that panel, I wouldn't have picked Andrew Johns to be in the Team Of The Century." </p> <p><strong><em>The Black Hole Syndrome</em></strong> </p> <p>"I'd say I was pretty much OK with my life until the team went back into training in November. From that time, I had the feeling the whole world was moving on - except for me.</p> <p>"It was then I really went into a trough . . . this sort of foggy period . . . It came to the point where I really faltered. In fact, I have never felt so lost.</p> <p>"I worried about making the wrong choices, f . . . ing up and ending up with nothing . . . I wouldn't say I went into a depressed state but I certainly went down deep into a state of mind where I wasn't myself. And I'm talking months and months." </p> <p><strong><em>Depression </em></strong></p> <p>"I'm inclined to think the word "depression" gets bandied around a bit too freely these days. But there were nights during that period when I couldn't sleep and days when I didn't feel like doing anything."</p><p>http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25238940-14823,00.html  </p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/Other-Teams/what-shane-webcke-didnt-want-you-to-see.html">Read the full article</a>

wow... he has an opinion, who would have thought.

Not that contriversial, most of it is typical high horse bull**** anyway, im sure the media would love him even more that he was outraged *shakes fist*

Webclke has always been one of my favourite players and I have always had great respect for him particular when he has been slaughtering us in State of Origin, at least he has said something

Drugs are bad, mmmmmkay.
Sex is bad, mmmmmkay.

It's easy to get everyone to agree with you these days. Rammel !!

It loses cred whenever anybody tries to rule Joey out of any "greatest" team. He's undoubtedly the greatest in my lifetime & anything that happened off the park has no bearing on that.

Everybody will be jumping on the goody-goody bandwagon now.

More detailed extract of the Broncos scandals from his book:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25239078-5001023,00.html

Interesting quote:
"do our standards as a club include the view that it’s okay for three high-profile first graders to be drunk in a public toilet with a woman, committing sex acts?"

So here's the equivalent question for Gallop, based on Gallop's explanation of his reason for the four-week suspension of Stewart, and zero suspension/penalty of the Broncos trio. 

"do your standards as the leader of the NRL include the view that it’s okay for three high-profile first graders to be drunk in a public toilet with a woman, committing (admitted) sex acts a week before the highest profile semifinal of the season ... and not OK for one high-profile first grader to simply be drunk in a pub a week before round 1?

It seems no journalist has the guts to tackle this issue directly.  Why are they all so damned scared of Gallop?  And if Fatty is sincere in his belief that Gallop's suspension of Stewart was correct, will Fatty grill Gallop about the blatant extreme inconsistency with all prior actions by the NRL?  Will he require Gallop to admit the failure to suspend the Broncos trio (and others) by the NRL is totally inconsistent with his unprecedented 4 week suspension of Stewart for simply being allegedly drunk in a pub? Will Gallop admit he fostered drunkenness/druggedness of high profile stars with his previous soft and appeasing stance? If Gallop comes clean in this way, he'd show integrity. If he doesn't, well ...

You made some great points in your post Rex and I think hippos would fly and it would rain jelly beans before Gallop would come clean and show integrity by admitting past cover-ups and inconsistencies.
As Webcke's opinion on Andrew Johns, whatever he did off the field cannot eliminate what he did on it.

I actually didn't think Brett was 'kicked out of a pub'.  Being refused service and then hopping in a cab and going home is a far cry from being kicked out of a pub.  Anyway, has anybody heard anything about his rumoured appeal thingy?  And really guys, being pissed and in a toilet with a woman' is a 'so what?  Maybe they all had consensual sex, so what?  let's not get all high minded about that, it happens.  Shane Webke was a good footballer, steady toiler up front , but no super-star.

Dan link said:
Webclke has always been one of my favourite players and I have always had great respect for him particular when he has been slaughtering us in State of Origin, at least he has said something

I wouldn't go that far but I do have a lot of respect for the guy. Aye!!

Good on Webcke for being independent-minded. 

The role model theory is a curious one. Most of us have enough trouble getting our own act in order without purporting to be some superior being that others should imitate.

But that's what Gallop is subscribing to, with heavy penalties attached - and he certainly does provide ample opportunities to point out glaring inconsistencies in application of his rules. He's not a very good role model, eh?

Rex link said:
It seems no journalist has the guts to tackle this issue directly.  Why are they all so damned scared of Gallop?  And if Fatty is sincere in his belief that Gallop's suspension of Stewart was correct, will Fatty grill Gallop about the blatant extreme inconsistency with all prior actions by the NRL?  Will he require Gallop to admit the failure to suspend the Broncos trio (and others) by the NRL is totally inconsistent with his unprecedented 4 week suspension of Stewart for simply being allegedly drunk in a pub? Will Gallop admit he fostered drunkenness/druggedness of high profile stars with his previous soft and appeasing stance? If Gallop comes clean in this way, he'd show integrity. If he doesn't, well ...

Fatty is a peaheart, he hasn't got the intelligence to ask questions like that.

Was going to cost him 150k to have it pulped (high price for principles).

Should have just stuck to his guns in the first place.

I really liked John's manager John Fordhams quote in the Tele, "A large and intelligent group got it right when the chose Andrew Johns to be the halfback of the century". "they also got it right in deciding not to include Shane Webke".

OUCH.

Any player that has been involved with Drugcastle should never be put anywhere near team of the century.

In my mind Webcke and Price are THE two props of the last decade. Kite has come good again but for consistency these blokes are the best. They are the Lazarus, Roach, Donnelly, Kelly, Beetson etc of our times.

At least those 3 Queensland props were consistent in their form - unlike our Qld props of yesteryear - Marty Bella and Dave Brown. They would blitz origin and then be bloody ordinary week in, week out for Manly!

Who said props were dumb.  A marketing ploy to get his book in the press.  He will probably sell a few more books as a result. 

Donny McKinnon should be up there as one of the best props around.  He tought Todd Carney everything he knows about pissing around. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4