News: What the Broncos would cost your team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
<p><span style="font-family: Verdana; line-height: normal; font-size: 13px;">THESE are the figures that will leave rugby league fans confused, sceptical and even envious about how Brisbane lured Greg Inglis to their club.</span></p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5060-what-the-broncos-would-cost-your-team.html">Read the full article</a>

The first job for the new Commision should be to value the top players in the game, say the top 100, about 6/club and they should be given a $$$ value that they must be rated at for the cap.

It's a joke that someone like Lockyer is only valued at $250,000

It's all pure speculation, and to make it even more ridiculous they have asked the leading player agents to do the valuations.....please, these are the same guys who try and gouge as much out of every deal to maximise their 10%.

No point getting your knickers in a knot, the Broncos have a monopoly in a large market, of course they can afford to supplement the cap with 3rd party deals. That's life.

The Thougroughbreds are given "sponsor" type access to the club and players yet they would have to be just normal ticketed fans in order to achieve these 3rd party deals. That is cheating the cap.

Chip & Chase link said:
It's all pure speculation, and to make it even more ridiculous they have asked the leading player agents to do the valuations.....please, these are the same guys who try and gouge as much out of every deal to maximise their 10%.

No point getting your knickers in a knot, the Broncos have a monopoly in a large market, of course they can afford to supplement the cap with 3rd party deals. That's life.
Is that you, Rupert?

Nothing effective will be ever done about this while News Ltd runs the game and owns Storm and Broncos. Monopolies will of course remain in Melbourne and Brisbane with rules that ensure those teams dominate the premiership.

Is that you Gus ??

I didn't say I agree with the situation, all I was trying to point out was that the Broncos are more than likely working within the confines of the cap and the way it is set up with 3rd party deals. They have an advantage and they are using it, who wouldn't ??

And who sets all these rules that so favour Broncos and the Storm?

The NRL aka News Ltd Rugby League.

Who has ensured Brisbane has one monopoly team team versus nine in Sydney when it is half the size of Sydney?

Who sucks out millions from the profits of the competition which are then diverted to the News Ltd Storm?

etc, etc, etc.

Admit it.  Until the fans get truly fed up with News Ltd and its two farce teams, and takes action, then Rugby League has as much integrity as World Series Wrestling.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=184645.msg284422#msg284422 date=1281840007]

Is that you, Rupert?

Nothing effective will be ever done about this while News Ltd runs the game and owns Storm and Broncos. Monopolies will of course remain in Melbourne and Brisbane with rules that ensure those teams dominate the premiership.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure, a second team in brisbane makes a lot of business sense to me.

Rex link said:
And who sets all these rules that so favour Broncos and the Storm?

Who has ensured Brisbane has one monopoly team team versus nine in Sydney when it is half the size of Sydney?

Who sucks out millions from the profits of the competition which are then diverted to the News Ltd Storm?

etc, etc, etc.

Admit it.  Until the fans get truly fed up with News Ltd and its two farce teams, and takes action, then Rugby League has as much integrity as World Series Wrestling.

Where are the millions that News is syphoning off, do you have proof of this, if so show us please.

From the info i can get it looks as if the NRL are in as much trouble cash wise as Manly are.

Rusty link said:
I wouldn't be so sure, a second team in brisbane makes a lot of business sense to me.
Yes of course a second, and maybe even a third Brisbane team makes tons of business sense...  unless, like Rupert, you happened to own the existing Brisbane rugby league monopoly team.

TokyoEagle link said:
Where are the millions that News is syphoning off, do you have proof of this, if so show us please.

From the info i can get it looks as if the NRL are in as much trouble cash wise as Manly are.
Sure TE, the NRL has been kept near the verge of bankruptcy, and this is totally the outcome of the SuperLeague war, which the ARL lost to News Ltd.  The siphoning of millions has been widely reported and here's my understanding of the facts:

It's reported that News Ltd's half share of NRL profits was of the order of $6m to $8m per year, and that this money was essentially diverted to News Ltd's subsidiary, the Melbourne Storm.  This subsidy is apparently negotiated to continue even after a proposed (but so far vaporous, hypothetical and nonexistent) News Ltd exit from the NRL - of the order of $14m. Only an increasingly extreme and negative public reaction to News Ltd's presence can force them out.

Then the News Ltd Broncos are extremely, extremely profitable, unlike every other Rugby League team, resulting from the News Ltd NRL preventing any competition for the Broncos in the second largest Rugby League centre in the world.

Of course all these millions are dwarfed by the money News Ltd saves in TV licence fees through its low payment by Fox Sports for live and exclusive pay TV coverage of NRL games.  News Ltd through its controlling part ownership of both the NRL and Fox Sports is effectively negotiating with itself in deciding how much NRL TV rights are worth.

The fact the NRL cannot get access to the thoroughbreds is the biggest concern and when they do it will be fixed.

Gallop knows whats going on and they have been questioning it for a long time now.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=184645.msg284468#msg284468 date=1281857367]
Yes of course a second, and maybe even a third Brisbane team makes tons of business sense...  unless, like Rupert, you happened to own the existing Brisbane rugby league monopoly team.

TokyoEagle link said:

Sure TE, the NRL has been kept near the verge of bankruptcy, and this is totally the outcome of the SuperLeague war, which the ARL lost to News Ltd.  The siphoning of millions has been widely reported and here's my understanding of the facts:

It's reported that News Ltd's half share of NRL profits was of the order of $6m to $8m per year, and that this money was essentially diverted to News Ltd's subsidiary, the Melbourne Storm.  This subsidy is apparently negotiated to continue even after a proposed (but so far vaporous, hypothetical and nonexistent) News Ltd exit from the NRL - of the order of $14m. Only an increasingly extreme and negative public reaction to News Ltd's presence can force them out.

Then the News Ltd Broncos are extremely, extremely profitable, unlike every other Rugby League team, resulting from the News Ltd NRL preventing any competition for the Broncos in the second largest Rugby League centre in the world.

Of course all these millions are dwarfed by the money News Ltd saves in TV licence fees through its low payment by Fox Sports for live and exclusive pay TV coverage of NRL games.  News Ltd through its controlling part ownership of both the NRL and Fox Sports is effectively negotiating with itself in deciding how much NRL TV rights are worth.
[/quote]

How much do we make? Take out the clubs cuts, take out the refs, advertising, admin and all the other costs associated with running a national competition, there is not much left for News to syphon off.

You say that news ripped the NRL off with the last deal, maybe they did. Why would a company pay more than it has to if nobody else is willing to bid competitively for the rights.

Hopefully the situation will be corrected with the next media deal.

One of my beefs is the talk from gallop that they are willing to except less money to have a set yearly schedule.

Great debate so far. All i will say is that at least Inglis is still in the NRL.

It's funny how everyone complains when players leave for more money to other codes and the NRL should relax the rules to allow players to earn more money. Then when a situation happens like the Inglis case, where 3rd party deals are used to keep him under the cap and pay him market value, everyone is up in arms.

I don't like getting into the politics of the game, i just love seeing the players stay in the game.

The NRL are totally hog-tied in selling their TV rights.  The AFL and ARU are free to negotiate as they please.  It clearly shows in amounts paid, as well as in peripheral issues like match scheduling to suit spectators.

In the bigger scheme of things, whether an Inglis stays or goes is relatively minor compared to whether an corporate organisation is able to control and distort the playing field so that it's two owned teams continually dominate the premiership race. To have one company own and control the competition, be the ultimate bosses of the administrators, officials  and referees, effectively control media reporting, own two of the teams, and to effectively sell the main revenue stream of the game to itself makes a mockery of the game. Can there be any wonder why Melbourne and Brisbane basically don't know what it's like to miss the semis or to not have at least one of them in the grand final?

The News Ltd conflict of interest is obvious, and unashamedly there for all to see.

Don't buy the propaganda.  News Ltd is making a motza out of rugby league.  People don't get Foxtel to watch 24 hours a day re-runs of Two and a Half Men.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6