News: Will Nine Lose Their Baby?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rusty

Bencher
The rugby league television rights are coming and you can almost see the sweat running from Nine boss David Gyngell’s brow. For so long Channel Nine has treated the National Rugby League like a second rate citizen and now it may come back to bite them. Nine have had the rights since the early 1990’s and they know the stranglehold they have had on rugby league may be coming to an end.

Read the full article

Sooner they lose the rights the better. Nines coverage is pathetic.

Not having to listen to bloody Ray Warren would be wonderful. No Andrew Voss and his stupid attempts at humour. No Fittler and his moronic mumbling, can't wait!

Some of the banter between Gould and Warren last night was cringe-worthy. No guarantees another station will do a better job but it is retirement time for some of the 9 team.

Nine are gooooorne.
Bring on Ch10/1HD and Foxtel.
I couldn't care if there were no commentators, as long as the games are shown live and viewers treated with a bit of respect. Whatever eventuates, it will be a massive improvement on the crap we're dished up now.

I too would be happy for 9 to lose the rights i am sick and tired of the bull**** banter between Warren & gould & voss's ego/smugness. Can someone please tell me how fittler got a gig he can hardly string two words together

Ch9 will be under pressure for live games.
The Friday night and Sunday rubbish will hopefully be a thing of the past.

all AFL games are live with the new deal, so I trust NRL would push for this also.

I personally couldn't care less about HD or SD, i just want the games to be shown when they're played.

I don't think there is any chance Nine looses the rights completely. It is a cornerstone of the network and the CEO is a diehard fan. Since they missed AFL there is no chance they don't get a chunk of NRL.

As for coverage I think it would be a situation of it being easy to bag Nine, but its not til they are gone until you realise what you lost. Nine have had several Football shows outside of coverage for years, the other have only popped up to try and sweeten the NRL, if Ten misses out (which I highly doubt) watch the Gameplan and One Week at a Time disappear fast.

There are problems with the nine commentary team, there is no doubt but a year ago Fox rebuilt its entire coverage team and they are terrible too. I doubt NRL will ever have a commentary like NFL or the like, the talent just isn't there. Remember for every person that hates Rabs, there is someone who loves him and sees him as the voice of league, its a personal taste.

As long as Brad Fittler goes nowhere near a camera for whatever channel picks it up, I'm sweet. I feel dumbed down, just listening to the bloke.

Why are people thinking One HD. It has been said numerous times in the media that packer and murdoch are cancelling it as a dedicated sports channel to appeal to the rest of the community and make it a regular popular channel. It will be a deal structured much the same as the AFL. Which channel will get 3 or 4 games a week will be interesting, 9 will still probably keep it but it will cost them a pretty penny. In all honesty, why wouldnt 9 go all out on it, what else do they have that rates? No cooking shows, no fat shows, no night time tv that appeals to the ladies, they got US crime shows and the football.

Does anybody even watch FTA TV anymore?

From people I know, you have TV people & internet people. Internet people basically don't watch any TV. They download shows & movies to watch as they please. They are insignificant to ratings.
This leaves you with TV people. Most TV viewers have Foxtel & spend very little time watching FTA TV. Sport is without doubt the largest reason why viewers watch FTA when they have access to all the other channels.

So, yes, all the FTA channels should be going all-out for the rights, they really have no choice.

Duff said:
Does anybody even watch FTA TV anymore?

From people I know, you have TV people & internet people. Internet people basically don't watch any TV. They download shows & movies to watch as they please. They are insignificant to ratings.
This leaves you with TV people. Most TV viewers have Foxtel & spend very little time watching FTA TV. Sport is without doubt the largest reason why viewers watch FTA when they have access to all the other channels.

So, yes, all the FTA channels should be going all-out for the rights, they really have no choice.

That's some pretty brash generalisations. I download shows that i want. but also find myself watching fair amounts of TV. My mrs is less into downloaded stuff, she's more tv and reading books. My parents wouldn't know how to switch a PC on, hers do, but wouldn't know how to download a tv show. None of us have pay tv. Everyone that i know of that has pay tv, does a bit of everything.

Aside from my family, you have to think about the average footy fan. With Australias aging population, the age of the average person would probably be around the 50's now. Footy supporters aren't all tech savvy office jockies, the RL heartland is "out west" and the country folk just don't have the bandwidth to support downloading large files. The average footy fan would probably be a middle aged man, more than likely with no pay tv, who couldn't give 2 hoots about downloading season 6 of dexter.

Consider yourself lucky that you can watch it at a decent hour. In WA if you don't have Foxtel you don't have RL at all. Ch9 over here prefer to show reruns of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang rather than show a RL game.

Bring on more rights for Foxtel and get rid of Nein

Seaeagle63 said:
Consider yourself lucky that you can watch it at a decent hour. In WA if you don't have Foxtel you don't have RL at all. Ch9 over here prefer to show reruns of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang rather than show a RL game.

Bring on more rights for Foxtel and get rid of Nein
I live in qld, so when manly plays on Friday nights the game is delayed till 9:30. But when they replay the game they insert 8 ads where possible and the games takes forever.
When manly play a south qld side the game isn't on delay, but guess what, I'm at the game and dont watch the live Friday night coverage.
Anyone in south east qld that support a Sydney based team get screwed by nine.

I agree with more rights for foxtel, I don't mind paying for something that is live

We need a hard negotiator. Who sets out minimum requirements like when and where the footy is shown, and outcomes if the winner doesn't comply. Gallop is obviously not the man.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4