News: Will this happen? Scott Penn hopes to get Brett Stewart and David Gallop together for a meetin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"So I think that as a game we have to look at how we can make that atmosphere even better. Gone are the days of just turning up and watching the game. We need to turn it into an entertainment experience."

I think a lot of clubs are moving in this direction already. I know we are. However, as the Raiders game proved, it doesn't matter what kind of atmosphere we create, if its pissing down then its very unlikely we'll get a crowd.

I hope the meeting takes place. Just for Bretts sake. If its still weighing heavily on him if he could get some closure/resolution it will help him move on, off the field and on the field as well.

Would love to see this fully resolved so Brett can finally move on.

Penn comes across well in the article. Glimmer of hope in relation to Brookie, it really would be tremendous if that works out. Won't be overnight obviously.

On the Gallop meeting, also a positive vibe in one sense. It sounds like Gallop and Manly want to move forward, but a certain young man who was hung out to dry by an unprincipled NRL leader is not keen to meet halfway, and why on earth would he be? As I've said elsewhere, Gallop is the one who must move on this, for the game's sake as much as for his own credibility.

I would be surprised if something doesn't happen well before the finals. When this first happened a healthy proportion of fans/general public apparently accepted Gallop's position, every time this gets rehashed in the media he loses more support and more people realise how unfairly Brett was treated.

The thing is, I doubt whether Gallop has the balls to approach the club. He's a coward, as demonstrated with all his reactions to the various difficult NRL issues. I've never read anything that would show he's proactive on the problems in the game. It's all reactive and shallow. And I'm shocked that his contract has been extended for another three years as a deal to get the Commission up. Realistically it was never going to be anything but. He began his NRL career as an in-house lawyer working for Murdoch running around signing up players for Super League. It would appear that he got, and is keeping his job as part of backroom deals. No transparency or head hunting for the best person for the position. Shameful really.

To be honest its a bit of a claytons meeting now - the minute Snake was cleared he should have been contacted & apologised too. Anything now is almost forced & a bit cheesy imo - better late than never??....personally i dont like like compremise with people who are not sincere.

Well said DSM5.

There was talk about Gallop meeting Brett a month ago after Penn spoke to Gallop. Nothing as yet has come of that. Gallop as the CEO of the nrl should be proactive and be the one to approach Stewart. You would think that he would want this off his own shoulders and not be continually brought up through the media. Not a good look for him or the game.

Good positive article except I disagree on his response to the price of admission. It is too high, and does adversely affect the number of spectators.
It seems to me that the fans at the ground are the least considered by the NRL and individual clubs when they should be the priority. For example:
1. I want to see all my grades playing at the one venue, starting with the Under 20s, then the reserves and first grade. Go back to how it used to be. Perhaps then people will be able to justifying spending $25 to sit on the hill.
2. I don't want to have to wait 40 minutes between matches. This warming up on the ground robs me of much of the excitement of seeing the team run on for the first time. Again, go back to warming up out of sight.
3. Unfortunately the 'entertainment' at Brookie is of the 1960's vintage. Picking 'nuffies from the crowd to kick goals. Please. That's pathetic. The Seabirds try but really it is not a great spectacle.

Create better value for money and the crowds will come. That leads to better atmosphere and, most times, a better match. Better atmosphere at the match also creates a better spectacle on TV, and encourages some of the couch potatoes to get to the match.

Not that complicated, really. Make the game day experience the priority, and the rest will follow.

Just a thought, but maybe a meeting will happen in the off season. There's that classic cliche of 'just focusing on playing good footy for my team' and maybe that could be part of it.
You never know, the meeting could not turn out the way Brett or Gallop want and how much would that impact/sidetrack the side? I don't know, like i said, just thinking...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6