News: Wolfman confident best to come from rising Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
MANLY have been anything but flying under the radar this season, but star winger David "Wolfman" Williams has done just that in a low-key return to the field in which he has racked up six games since undergoing a shoulder reconstruction.

Read the full article

Will be interesting on who goes where as soon as Hoppa returns. Tubular Oldfield, Robbo, Wolfman and Hoppa all vying for two coveted wing spots.

Has Wolfie and his beard done enough to keep Hoppa out or do we magically remain with luck, good or bad, to see who dons the 2 & 5 spot?

With Hoppa leaving for two years, wonder if Ben Farrar will return to the Club? He wanted to come back and Des wanted him back.

Wolfie gets 1 wing and Hoppa the other, Robbo gets a chance while Hoppa is out injured and gets to show what he is capable of.

TokyoEagle said:
Wolfie gets 1 wing and Hoppa the other, Robbo gets a chance while Hoppa is out injured and gets to show what he is capable of.

This is one of the silliest things I have read. We all know exactly what Robbo is capable of, his consistency is his number one strength. With Hoppa out for 4-6 weeks I would guess Robbo back in and then Hoppa will have to wait for injury to get another chance, as Des will play him for at least a couple of weeks in the lower grades to gain fitness.

Phantar said:
With Hoppa leaving for two years, wonder if Ben Farrar will return to the Club? He wanted to come back and Des wanted him back.

Not needed. When Hoppa goes, Oldfield and Wolfy on wings.

CliffyIsGod said:
Phantar said:

Not needed. When Hoppa goes, Oldfield and Wolfy on wings.
We lose a player like Hoppa and given Wolfman's track record with injury, don't you think it's a good idea to bolster your depth?

Robbo will as always fill the boots when needed & very reliably, but although some will attack my theory Hoppa & Wolf are now the best choices on the wing with a fit Snake at Fullback. While Hoppa gets well Robbo will do just fine.

No Robbo is our left winger. Wolfie is still re-establishing himself. Hoppa is a current SOO player and won't be playing any lower grades, but he is also our ace utility who in effect covers every back position. Even if one of the halves goes down Jamie moves in a spot and Hoppa can play the centre role. If all are (ever) available at the same time it is a conundrum, but I would be surprised if Robbo was the odd man out.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
No Robbo is our left winger. Wolfie is still re-establishing himself. Hoppa is a current SOO player and won't be playing any lower grades, but he is also our ace utility who in effect covers every back position. Even if one of the halves goes down Jamie moves in a spot and Hoppa can play the centre role. If all are (ever) available at the same time it is a conundrum, but I would be surprised if Robbo was the odd man out.

I agree. Hoppa would move to the bench as a utility and we'd lose someone off the bench

Rusty said:
TokyoEagle said:

This is one of the silliest things I have read. We all know exactly what Robbo is capable of, his consistency is his number one strength. With Hoppa out for 4-6 weeks I would guess Robbo back in and then Hoppa will have to wait for injury to get another chance, as Des will play him for at least a couple of weeks in the lower grades to gain fitness.

I understand that we know what Robbo is capable of, maybe it was the wrong choice of words. What i meant was that Robbo gets this chance to play himself into a spot while Hoppa is out.

Regardless of robbo being a peoples favourite who has done great things - theres no way he will get the nod in front of a fit Hoppa. That try in SOO on the left wing was a brilliant finish also the 1 against Broncos was not a bad left wingers try.

robbo better than hoppa??? you are kidding, kid plays state of origin after handful of games and scores game changing try, do you think robbo could do that? Robbo has never played rep (whoops Scotland eh) and even after 3 tries in a grand final still didn't get the call up. don't compare Hoppa and Robbo, Robbo is a good consistent winger who always does the right thing, Hoppa is in a different class already at 19.

At present Robbo must be ahead of Oldfield for sure in 2011. Oldfield will be a gun but just not yet. Matai and Robbo have a great partnership. Oldfield's defence is abit less than Robbo but his speed and return from kicks is better than Robbo (who gets smashed every kick return) (toughness personified) Oldfield is going to kick on with that blinding speed and size he has. Wasn't Oldfield called up with State of Origin with Jamie?? If he was, that is a great wrap!!

If Robbo wasn't coming back from injury the two wingers would be he and Hoppa. It will be interesting when everyone is fit. I'd go with Hoppa and Robbo. He should be rewarded for what he has done for this club.

Fonz, loyalty is great but how far do we go, if, and a big if, Brett went down again and out for another 12 months what would the club do??? Keep a 450k player and hope he comes back (again) or look elsewhere, it's a cut throat business. At the start of the year who would have thought Hoppa would have been so good, so quickly!! The other thing is Wolfie is back to his best

I don't really mind who would take the wing spots as I'd be pleased to see any of those combos... Maybe even Rose :p.

But, I think some here have short memories of the types of tries that Robbo can score.

codewana said:
I don't really mind who would take the wing spots as I'd be pleased to see any of those combos... Maybe even Rose :p.

But, I think some here have short memories of the types of tries that Robbo can score.

Absolutely, everyone who is doubting Robbo should go & watch the 2008 season highlights again to refresh their memories. He is the best winger in our squad.

Darren said:
Fonz, loyalty is great but how far do we go, if, and a big if, Brett went down again and out for another 12 months what would the club do??? Keep a 450k player and hope he comes back (again) or look elsewhere, it's a cut throat business. At the start of the year who would have thought Hoppa would have been so good, so quickly!! The other thing is Wolfie is back to his best

So you would drop the only player that has not missed a game in 139 games. So that's not only not being injured. But also the only player consistent enough not be benched since 2006. Please! He has been a wonderful servant to Des and if his form warrants selection he'll be there.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6