News: Zorba: Brett Stewart's living hell

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>IT was the phone call from hell at exactly 11.05pm on Friday, March 6, 2009. I checked the number on my mobile and knew it wasn’t good news.</p>

<a href="http://silvertails.net/news/5183-zorba-brett-stewarts-living-hell.html">Read the full article</a>

Quote:
"To most the case ended on Wednesday morning. I can reveal it is far from over. The ramifications on how such a case was allowed to run its course should and will be examined.

Players, too, should be asking how can they be left out to dry by people who should be supporting them"

This is a very emotion-charged human drama that has been unfolding. I'm pleased to hear Zorba say this.

However there won't be much joy in the search for apologies. People such as Gallop, who in effect made his judgment & turned his back on Brett, and some of the media types who were happy to spout fiction and unsubstantiated rumour, must not be forgiven.

I reckon our club, and those people in the NRL's leadership who actually have some principle (there must be someone), should focus on how best to bring this story out into the fulll glare of public awareness so that as many people as posssible who heard of the allegations now get to hear of the story of the innocent man who was falsely accused.

I hope the story features in as many womens' magazines as possible.

Our club should exert all its influence to ensure Brett is presented publicly as he was before all this - that is, featuring on all highlights clips for match promos etc etc

His image was removed because of the slur. It must be restored.

Great article Zorb.

This yet again reminds me why I truely love this club and all it stands for .

Attack us if you dare , we will never waiver .

Gallop and his hench men could learn so much , so quickly from this club and this tragedy. Regrettably they chose to attack one of their own in his greatest hour of need. And completely ignore an innocent, decent man .

Shame on you Gallop , you will never , ever be excused for this digusting, biased mistreatment .

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Quote:
Our club should exert all its influence to ensure Brett is presented publicly as he was before all this - that is, featuring on all highlights clips for match promos etc etc

His image was removed because of the slur. It must be restored.

Will this happen? He was the face of NRL. The poster boy. That was all taken away from him, from an innocent and damn good guy. This SHOULD be returned but I just cant see it happening. Its just not fair and it makes me angry and upset :(

Excellent article by Zorba.  I'm glad to hear it's not the end of this.

The NRL had no grounds to fine Manly, suspend Stewart or strip him of being the face of rugby league.  Suspending him for 'being intoxicated at an official function' (without any evidence other than fabricated newspaper reports and without providing him with any opportunity to defend himself) was an abuse of due process, a denial of natural justice and it was prejudicial against his defence at the trial as the question of whether he was intoxicated or not was a key issue.  Brett could quite conceivably have gone to jail because of the actions of these idiots, at a time when they should have been standing by his side!!!

I consider it more likely than not that Brett wouldn't have even had to go to trial if it wasn't for the NRL's actions and the media's actions, which left the judge with no alternative but to make Brett face trial.  Brett has suffered significant financial loss as a result of the actions of the NRL and the media, as well irreparable damage to his reputation and serious emotional trauma.

There's no question that Brett has suffered loss and damage as a result of the actions of others.  I think a Court would be unlikely to acknowledge that the judicial system was influenced by the NRL and the media, which may take some of the gloss off his claim.  However those responsible should certainly be liable for the damage to his reputation and possibly also the loss of his opportunity to be the face of the NRL.  I see the biggest challenge as how to apportion blame between the NRL and the various media organisations for the loss Brett has suffered.  

One thing is for sure - the NRL and the media won't come to the party and do the decent thing voluntarily.  They will need to be beaten into submission.  I just hope Brett is up for it after all he has been through, as it won't be easy.

Great article Zorba.

The supporters tour mentioned was of course my WCC tour in 2009, and many of the regular posters on here we part of that and shared some great times with Barry and a few of his best mates....it certainly was a tragic way to end what was the trip of a lifetime for Barry Stewart.

Yes, the more people who know about the full facts the better.

I'd suggest the Manly club contact the local MP and have him ask some questions in State Parliament as to just how this matter ever made it to court.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6