News: Zorba - CC crowds & Foran

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
<p>THERE has been much discussion and comment on last Sunday’s Sea Eagles v Wests Tigers sell-out game in Gosford.</p>

<a href="http://www.silvertails.net/news/5004-zorba-cc-crowds-a-foran.html">Read the full article</a>

Re: News: Zorba - CC crowds & Foran

The more I keep hearing about the club 'needing' to take games away from Brookvale to make a buck, the more I get the feeling that we will eventually have no option but to secure another home ground on a permanent basis, with ready made corporate facilities, plenty of seating (more than 20,000) good amenties such as food and dunnies and better parking and public transport arrangements than presently on offer at Brookvale.
The SFS would be 1 on my list.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want the team to move from their spiritual home but the ground will never get to the required standard that a successful club like ours deserves. The 10's of millions required for a knock-down and rebuild will never be forthcoming. Anything else is just a bandaid in reality.

I would hate for us to leave Brookie but if it happens i would prefer the SFS as well

Sellout at Bluetongue..sounds good.People who think Manly are going to get 2 "home" games at Gosford next year are probably going to be disappointed.There's strong talk of a game at Suncorp (if it fits in)in a double header,and Lowe is keen to take a game to NZ (north harbour was where I heard-wherever that is).As only 2 "home" games can be played "away",that means no Gosford,or a change in stance from the Football Club.

I seriously shudder at the thought of Brookie closing it's gates for good, and I hope against hope it never happens . But unfortunately the writing is on the wall I'm afraid. SFS would be the best case scenario , if and when the S##t hits the fan.

I hope that this is just trying to put pressure on the council and others to spend some money on Brookie. Without the Sea Eagles the council would get zero income from the ground.

I wouldn't be talking about any Manly player in the same breath as Grubby Lamb - remember his thuggery in the 1995 GF and never forgive or forget!

Look let's be real, brookie has our heart and should but it isn't our future. Well nit without drastic changes anyway

dceagle link said:
I seriously shudder at the thought of Brookie closing it's gates for good, and I hope against hope it never happens . But unfortunately the writing is on the wall I'm afraid. SFS would be the best case scenario , if and when the S##t hits the fan.

yeah I agree with you there, but if you look at theTigers they play out of 3 grounds quite successfully
If Manly started along the same lines the Council would realize they are losing $$ possibly and do something about it

if the worst ever happened and we were to take games away
4 @ brookie (only the good games to ensure big crowds)
3 @ Sfs
2 @ ANZ
1 @ NZ
1 @ Suncorp

probably see our home ave jump up over 20,000

The SFS would suit me.  The Friday night or Monday night games would be best there.  Get the suits from the City going.  Saturday night games at Bluetongue or away, and Sunday afternoon games at Brookie would make sense.  With this 'Commission' starting up, hopefully something can be done about wresting the control of games away from the TV owners sos that common sense would prevail.. 

DSM5 link said:
The SFS would suit me.  The Friday night or Monday night games would be best there.  Get the suits from the City going.  Saturday night games at Bluetongue or away, and Sunday afternoon games at Brookie would make sense.  With this 'Commission' starting up, hopefully something can be done about wresting the control of games away from the TV owners sos that common sense would prevail.. 

Also the new TV deal, hopefully there will be some new bidders to at least show 9 they can't have it all their own way.

Again, I'll jump to the defence of Brookie.

What's wrong with it? People are constantly dribbling out poor facilities, out of date & wank, wank, wank. No one ever gives specific reasons.

To the people who are negative, have you ever been to Brookie? Have you ever been to other grounds? If you have, you might be a little more appreciative of what we have.

Maybe the corporate facilities need to be improved. Maybe more boxes need to be built on the hill side. But that's it. It would cost bugger all in scheme of things. This talk of moving to sh1t holes like the SFS or Gosford are appalling. Anyone who would do anything but fight that sh1t to the death obviously isn't a true supporter. :p

Matabele link said:
I wouldn't be talking about any Manly player in the same breath as Grubby Lamb - remember his thuggery in the 1995 GF and never forgive or forget!
  yeah mata i never will forget that ****  he also did it to  ellery hanley  too.. fukn dog..

Duff link said:
Again, I'll jump to the defence of Brookie.

What's wrong with it? People are constantly dribbling out poor facilities, out of date & wank, wank, wank. No one ever gives specific reasons.

To the people who are negative, have you ever been to Brookie? Have you ever been to other grounds? If you have, you might be a little more appreciative of what we have.

Maybe the corporate facilities need to be improved. Maybe more boxes need to be built on the hill side. But that's it. It would cost bugger all in scheme of things. This talk of moving to sh1t holes like the SFS or Gosford are appalling. Anyone who would do anything but fight that sh1t to the death obviously isn't a true supporter. :p

I can get myself right on halfway for $20-25, bloody love the place. tbh I couldn't care less about the facilities, I am there to watch the footy !!

Duff, you're right, I only go there to watch the footie as well.  Don't buy food or grog.  But the playing surface is going to be condemned.  It's pure slop, and the council want us out.  There needs to be millions spent on the place and I can't see that happening.  The only way out is if Manly Rugby Club sold their ground, and combined with us to purchase Brookvale from Waringah Council and redevelop and both clubs use it.  Fanciful though.  And jjai, who cares what Lamb did to Hanley.  He didn't play for us.   

DSM5 link said:
Duff, you're right, I only go there to watch the footie as well.  Don't buy food or grog.  But the playing surface is going to be condemned.  It's pure slop, and the council want us out.  There needs to be millions spent on the place and I can't see that happening.  The only way out is if Manly Rugby Club sold their ground, and combined with us to purchase Brookvale from Waringah Council and redevelop and both clubs use it.  Fanciful though.  And jjai, who cares what Lamb did to Hanley.  He didn't play for us.   

Not even, unfortunately the oval was a gift to the council and has a covenant over it, it can not be sold even if we could buy it.

Brookvale needs

Surface upgrades that dont take away the home ground advantage,it should be a slow track,it always has been
Family hill replaced with a grandstand IE WIN Stadium with corporate boxes given some attention

That is all
Oh and a carpark would be nice,but lets face it that wont happen

As I manage one maybe two trips a year to Brookie, the facilities and overall appearance aren't a concern for me.In fact it holds so many great memories the way it is I'd hate to see it loose it's suburban ground feel.(Yes I know it's not financially feasible or viable in the cut throat world of snaring sponsors)...that's just me.
A feed,beers and a chat at the leagues club, stroll to the ground(not forgetting the hot-dog man on the way!) and sit your arse on some Brooky grass and cheer on the boys...thats as good as it gets IMO.  ;)

the continual noise coming from the club is that we make only abit over 100 grand a game profit at brookie compared to 300 for bluetongue last week. I love Brookie but if we don't raise our money making procedures we will all be walking around "good ol Brookie" with our kids telling them stories of watching legends like Beaver and Jye Mullane ;D.

Our fan support is lowest (and I will join next year) so if we have to eventually take 2 or more games away so be it. Think what the alternative is. Newtown do it every day.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6