No All Rounder

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This is the first time in a long time that I can remember the Australian side not having an allrounder named. Since Watson's injury the selectors have forgotten their decade long mantra of "must pick an allrounder". What started with Symonds, continued with North, McDonald, White, and Smith. You could even argue that Johnson's OK ability with the bat may have seen some of his sins with the ball being forgiven. Watson has made a reasonable fist of it, but his bowling has been curtailed by frequent injury. I'd argue the only genuine all rounder in test cricket these days is Kallis. Vettori is handy, but lack of talent in his team makes him seem a better bat then he is (or at least affords him more opportunity for time in the middle). We never needed an all rounder during the dominant Waugh era and I never understood the selectors insistence that we pick someone who wasn't really test class in either discipline just for the sake of "balance".

I can see Watson's contribution on the bowling front diminishing with each new injury, to the point where he will have to survive purely on his batting. Do you think we are finally done with the all rounder for the sake of it policy that seemed the norm of late ?

I sure hope so. Watson's clearly the only all-rounder up to it atm.

I was interested to discover that Phil Hughes has averaged more than Watson when they've opened together. Watson's future definitely lies in the mid order.

i hope the blindness is gone, if we have one good enough then play him, otherwise leave it be.

And speaking of Kallis how good is he, 12,000 runs at 56, a better average than Tendulkar with almost 300 wickets @32 a pop.

You could mount a case for him being the best all rounder ever. He's only a shandy off Sobers in batting average and has him covered with the ball. Great player.

Fluffy said:
i hope the blindness is gone, if we have one good enough then play him, otherwise leave it be.

And speaking of Kallis how good is he, 12,000 runs at 56, a better average than Tendulkar with almost 300 wickets @32 a pop.

Couldn't understand their obsession with an allrounder?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6