No Excuses But Hear Me Out...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
All guilty after ONLY 1 game.
A major point after watching sober without expectation, was the effort....tried all night even when pumped on the scoreboard but lacked serious energy, as though the massive buildup & expectation hurt them as individuals & a team - big time.
The Dogs who are genuine top 4 contenders, played almost perfect footy & had a glut of possession in key position.
They made minimal line breaks for a team who play so direct, only scoring off messy kicks & could only get outside with sweep plays on rare occasions.
The scrambling defence from inside out worked well, especially on inside runners close to the line, which Tigers will test again with the likes of Tedesco/Simona.
Turnovers hurt badly & it was painfully obvious timing was a fraction off & also, often a pushed pass due to finding it tougher to roll upfield...with attackers 1 out, worked over close to the marker, opposed to the Dogs tipping on to a 2nd man hitting our edges - bending the line & winning the quick play.
This is simply about combinations & time- overused excuse but true - watch haw much easier Manly roll upfield in 5-6 weeks....this takes off so much pressure leading to far better ball retention & last tackle option.
Defensive line contact was reasonable but line speed was 3 out of 10...again a sign of serious lack of energy, not effort...& not as some claim - fitness.
In the Dogs red zone, looked surprisingly flat, putting more pressure on the attack than Dogs defence.
Seemed a few occasions numbers were there out wide, but closed down with not enough time to hit the deeper outside runner in 3 on 2 situations - again will come good & soon imo.
Overall can see a brighter next month of footy & could be a different feel around here by Tuesday...as energy levels for starters will be up.
Not being positive, simply an observation, so give me at least till after round 2 before swinging...actually, I'm fair game so let's hear it....

The dogs simply aimed up harder as they do when they come up against us. If you take away the two goal area mistakes, the dropped balls which shouldn't happen that often and Chez's attempt at a long range kick to find touch that lead to another Bulldogs posession which came at a time when we needed that penalty then it would have been a more even score line. Having said those 'what ifs', they were hungrier than us and deserved to win by that margin.

No doubt the team watching the game tape this week would have been disappointed in themselves at how bad the Bulldogs made them look. Expecting an improvement this week, and by that i mean a more fluid attack and better defensive effort regardless of the result.

Once the early nerves are settled and the combinations are improved i have no doubts that this team will bounce back.

Really keen and hoping BJ and Starlo have huge games to force TB to maybe think that he has some really good talent already from the team he inherited and starting with a clean slate doesn't mean replacing proven players unlike Green at 2nd row, for now anyway.

The dogs simply aimed up harder as they do when they come up against us. If you take away the two goal area mistakes, the dropped balls which shouldn't happen that often and Chez's attempt at a long range kick to find touch that lead to another Bulldogs posession which came at a time when we needed that penalty then it would have been a more even score line. Having said those 'what ifs', they were hungrier than us and deserved to win by that margin.

No doubt the team watching the game tape this week would have been disappointed in themselves at how bad the Bulldogs made them look. Expecting an improvement this week, and by that i mean a more fluid attack and better defensive effort regardless of the result.

Once the early nerves are settled and the combinations are improved i have no doubts that this team will bounce back.

Really keen and hoping BJ and Starlo have huge games to force TB to maybe think that he has some really good talent already from the team he inherited and starting with a clean slate doesn't mean replacing proven players unlike Green at 2nd row, for now anyway.
Not sure about hungrier, as I doubt the Dogs players care about one team over another. I think you just saw the product of a side that has played a lot together over one that hasn't. That was pretty evident across most matches last weekend.

Hopefully after a few rounds, we'll gel and start to hit out strides. The 3 games in 10 days could be a blessing and a curse too. Curse because it will be physically taxing, but blessing because it's a lot of footy close together and by the end of it, a lot of issues that come with so many new faces should be closed to ironed out.

• 🤝
Reactions: mbe
Not sure about hungrier, as I doubt the Dogs players care about one team over another. I think you just saw the product of a side that has played a lot together over one that hasn't. That was pretty evident across most matches last weekend.

Hopefully after a few rounds, we'll gel and start to hit out strides. The 3 games in 10 days could be a blessing and a curse too. Curse because it will be physically taxing, but blessing because it's a lot of footy close together and by the end of it, a lot of issues that come with so many new faces should be closed to ironed out.

Over the last few seasons they have come out hard against us and we had the more experienced team. The fact the Dogs were pretty much rated underdogs and given little chance of beating this new Manly team would have been exactly what Des would have wanted to get his forwards fired up. Last night was a good example of when the Dogs expect a win they struggle.

I just hope those back to back games don't result in some injuries for us but have a bit more confidence than in recent years that we have more depth to cope.

If we lose, but give ourselves the best possible chances of winning, I'd be happy.

Why is Mateo in NSW Cup? Barrett made him captain in the 9's?

I have this feeling he was a player they wanted gone, but he dug his heels in, so will be forced to see out his days under Willow.

The difference between Mateo (even when inconsistent) and Green / Brown is massive.

If you choose loyalty of quality, then sorry, you have to accept the criticism coming your way.

Green won't be there next week. Buhrer is back so he'll go onto the bench until he's fit.

Will be interesting to see how the line up looks if we win Monday and everyone is back and healthy

Rate these players @Loobs .

Mateo
Lussick
Knight
Starling
Burgess
Vave
Lawrence
Trbojevic
Myles

Then tell me how Vave sees 1st grade?

Rate these players @Loobs .

Mateo
Lussick
Knight
Starling
Burgess
Vave
Lawrence
Trbojevic
Myles

Then tell me how Vave sees 1st grade?
The issue is fully fit, there are what, 9 spots for everyone (assuming we carry two hookers).

By that logic Burgess, Vave, Lussick don't ever see first grade again.

Mateo would be my starting second rower or even lock playing 50-60 mins

I think we can all agree that TB make some rookie errors last week, both at the selection table and through the game.

For mine, Green is only there because Ferris is injured (or that should be the case at least), though why he is in front of Leary, Mateo or T-Red I'll never know. I suspect that Ryan is closer to the truth about Mateo than most reasons I have heard. The club didn't want him but he wouldn't leave. If the club doesn't want him they're not going to play him in first grade unless they have to are they.....(for a comparison please refer to the Wolfman circa 2015).

Why is Vave in this weeks team? Why was he even in last weeks team? Why is he even a Manly player?

Last week I think TB just got caught out with Wiliame. I think everyone expected Snake to be fit to play and when it didn't happen we needed someone with at least some experience. And while people question why he hasn't been dropped this week for either Goodall or Lavaka, did either of them do anything last week in NSW Cup to warrant NRL selection this week?

The issue is fully fit, there are what, 9 spots for everyone (assuming we carry two hookers).

By that logic Burgess, Vave, Lussick don't ever see first grade again.

Mateo would be my starting second rower or even lock playing 50-60 mins

If we have Brown on the bench as a utility, and Buhrer in the backrow, I really think we can run with an 80 minute Hooker.

Parcell.

He's played 80 for Ipswitch.

Carry the extra forward. But keep them all your best:

08. Jake Trbojevic
09. Matt Parcell
10. Marty Taupau
11. Feleti Mateo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Lewis Brown
15. Darcy Lussick
16. Nate Myles
17. Brenton Lawrence

That's a pack that could dominate. No Vave. No Green.

I think a better pack would be closer to what we have this week, with 1 or 2 changes

8. Jake, 9. Parcell, 10. Nate, 11. Leary, 12. Taupau, 13. Ferris. Res from BJ, Star, Lussick, Brown, Api, Mateo, T-Red and Knight (in that order).

Though I do like the idea of Jake at lock like he's been named this week. The guy is more skillful than most realise (though not Gifty skillful, not yet anyway).

How about a more interesting question than who will be our 17th man - if BJ, Starling, Mateo, T-Red, crap Burgess, poss Leary are all off contract, who are they going to go after?

Tamou to me is the one I reckon Bozo will go for. Canberra seem to have switched to Junior Paulo and Tamou has not resigned and doesn't appear as though he intends to. But with all those guys coming off deals and Mateo was on a bit, how will they spend their coin..?

I'd look to get Tamou, Tariq Sims and maybe Chee Kam for depth and some youngsters

Line speed and dropping balls cold on a 1 up hit up play 10m out are not combination related.

These things are basic footy skills

I agree with OP.

We were ambushed, we should of seen it coming. Did Barrett/Bozo really think Des was gonna turn upwith his fatboys Kasiano, Eastwood and co all 5kg heavier than last year.

But in no way is it that performance reflective of how the season will play out.

I'd like to have seen Leary given more time to cement his spot. I thought he went really well for us last week and I'm totally lost as to why he was dropped. I think he possibly has Watmough type potential and it's getting lost in TB's attempts to prove Green and Brown are better options.

Not sure how those comments and a Premium Member get a Troll rating @mbe , those should be left for posters such as @Manly700

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4