No team dies on my watch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
DAVID Gallop has vowed to use the game's anticipated $1 billion-plus TV deal to ensure the survival of Sydney's financially stressed clubs before opening the door to any new interstate teams in an expanded NRL.

In a wide-ranging interview to mark his 10-year anniversary today as NRL boss, Gallop insists the game can't abandon its traditional market and old clubs such as the North Sydney Bears - or the proud and passionate fans who were lost to the game when they folded.

"Our saturation of Sydney is a really important part of the game's success,'' Gallop said, ``When the Bears went out of the competition we lost support on the north shore.

"If we lose a team in any area of Sydney, it's difficult to expect them to just migrate to another team.

"We don't want to lose any fans, particularly with our competitors being active in our heartland. I think all Sydney clubs will survive and it's important they do.''

The Sharks are still without a major sponsor and can't even afford to put on a chief executive.

Poker machine taxes, smoking bans and the tough economy have placed massive strain on Sydney clubs who have for decades relied on Leagues Club grants just to survive.

"It's an increasingly competitive market and their traditional funding models through leagues clubs are under pressure,'' Gallop said.

"A good broadcasting deal which will alleviate a lot of pressure on them and others .

"My view has been for a while that we wait until 2015 and allow our existing 16 clubs and players to share in the benefits of the next TV deal for at least a couple of years.''

And in a defiant message to Parramatta, the Roosters, the Bulldogs and his biggest critic Phil Gould who all privately campaigned last year for a new CEO, Gallop insists he is still the best man for the job.

"The NFL is the biggest sport in the world in terms of a domestic footy competition and they've only had a handful of commissioners since World War II,'' he said.

"Like most things nothing beats experience in dealing with challenges.

"I've signed a new contract and like everyone else I'm looking forward to working in our new environment.

"My experience as the CEO with 10 years' experience is an important part of the new structure.

"We have eight new people with great credentials but for the most part they're on a steep learning curve about rugby league.''

Gallop recently signed a four year contract to work under the game's new independent commission.

The deal was negotiated by the new chairman, Brisbane based businessman John Grant.

"I'm very proud to have clocked up such a significant milestone in this kind of job,'' Gallop said.

"The spectacle on the field and the closeness of the competition are the highlight of what we've achieved.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/no-team-dies-on-my-watch/story-e6frexnr-1226262448246

I wanna see how he goes with news ltd out of the picture. I think he has handled something's really well but others he's ****ed up and has been too arrogant to admit it.

Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. Like I said in an earlier post I rate and like Gallop. It's time to get our heads out of the past. Gallop is referring to the future when he says no team dies on his watch. These words may actually become gold in terms of Manly's future, so best to stop slamming the bloke, if we want his support in helping us to survive. Read the article, one of the clubs that is referenced is Manly.

bazeagle said:
Read the article, one of the clubs that is referenced is Manly.

I thought that I must have missed that so I re-read the article but I still can't find the reference
aug08_022.gif

Two things.

1. NRL will die if we stop where we are and fight every battle in our own backyard. Saving the Sharks should clearly be less important then expanding the appeal of the game.

2. Anyone who thinks Gallop would lift a finger to save a privately owned team, much less this team is deluded.

In some ways I agree with what Gallops saying. But at the same time bring an expansion teams (WA and BB or Ippie) and set an expansion plan into place i.e CQ, NZ2.
Hell if PNG and a Pacific Islander team were viable options bring them in as well but the old Sydney/NSW teams are the life blood of the comp.

Kill them and the game dies a little.

I love watching other teams run around and a few games are must watch imo Easts vs Souths (I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that these 2 should open the season), Canterbury vs Parra, Sharks vs Dragons and several others.

While games against the other 15 teams we hate will no doubt we haven't got the straight out hate that'll happen if/when we play Norffs/ CC

bazeagle said:
Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. Like I said in an earlier post I rate and like Gallop. It's time to get our heads out of the past. Gallop is referring to the future when he says no team dies on his watch. These words may actually become gold in terms of Manly's future, so best to stop slamming the bloke, if we want his support in helping us to survive. Read the article, one of the clubs that is referenced is Manly.

You are spot on bazeagle, it is time to put past issues behind us in order to move forward. I didnt have a problem with Gallop and if his plan is to keep the Sydney clubs alive and kicking then that is gold for us.

Jethro said:
bazeagle said:
Read the article, one of the clubs that is referenced is Manly.

I thought that I must have missed that so I re-read the article but I still can't find the reference
aug08_022.gif

It is in the newspaper but omittted in the original post Jethro and it reads:
""Sydney clubs including Cronulla, Penrith and even premiers Manly are all struggling for funds."

This has been my gut feeling all along. Firstly why has New ltd exited the game with there number 1 monkey in charge at all and why have they decided to do this before the tv rights are up for neg

Firstly gallop has been appointed CEO, so grape ape is still about

Secondly the IC and not news ltd are in charge of taking the game forward to to make the decisions for the long term health of the game

I have long believed this is still part of a game for the IC to shape the game the way it probably should be. A national game with more teams anywhere but sydney. Most sydney teams start on very shaky ground financially they have a fairly justified position to persue there charter

If the IC cut teams and news and gallop have nothing to do with this, foxtel get what they have always wanted, gallops hands are clean and well everyone else just has to suck it up.It would have been a massive conflict of interest for a TV network to cull teams so they can reach a larger audience base and if challenged probably would have ended the whole conflict relationship that existed not on there terms

Its the end of the world as we know it imo

Tin foil hat section..............maybe but there is no way they can be tusted or taken at face value. They always have an agenda

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8