Nothing personal Beaver but ... I want your job

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Nothing personal Beaver but ... I want your job

Jason Avedissian

23 July 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/07/23/11218_sports.html

THE man widely considered as the next big thing in the NRL has put his hand up to replace departing Sea Eagles great Steve Menzies.
It's not even a week since Menzies made the emotional decision to move on to Bradford next year, but Manly 2009 recruit Tony Williams has already unveiled his plans to target the great man's jumper.
Sea Eagles officials are privately bemused Williams is not currently being used in Parramatta's backrow, with his massive frame wasted on the wing.
But the Eels immediate loss appears certain to be Manly's long-term gain with Williams to be handed Menzies' jumper in 2009.
"It's a good opportunity for me, to play where I want to play," the Eels giant told The Manly Daily.
"It's actually good that he's (Menzies) leaving so I can get a spot there.
"I mean, it's not good for the club that he's leaving, it's good for me personally.
"He's been a great player there for a number of years and hopefully I can take over."
Hasler last night strongly indicated the man to replace his long-serving veteran appears certain to be the 110kg Eels junior.
"We see Tony as being a forward," the coach said.
"He's certainly an exciting prospect for us and he'll be definitely playing in the forwards."
A plan which sits well with Williams who has already gained a fearsome reputation among the game as a player capable of trampling over anyone.
"I just want to get used to playing first grade in the backrow," he said.
"I've been playing most of my games on the wing, so we'll see what happens."
And already Williams is excited about playing under Hasler.
The 47-year-old has gained a reputation of turning battlers into NRL dominators, with players like Josh Perry, David Williams, and Michael Robertson all turning their careers around upon joining the Sea Eagles.
"I'm looking forward to getting better under Des," Williams said.
"I know about the good training that they do and I'm always looking for ways to improve my game."
Manly five-eighth Jamie Lyon will face knee surgery today with the club confident he will be back before the finals.

Good attitude to have - looking forward to seeing him next year already

Beavers job will never be replaced. I don't see many players in the NRL with as strong defence, line breaking, try scoring ability. Also, once in every decade there is a backrower entering the game that is as diverse as Beaver. He's a very rare comodity.

Williams will be a VERY different player. I don't see him as a line breaking forward.

If Des can energise him (he looks slow and lethargic to me - but I'm often wrong about these things), I reckon he would be more like David Kidwell in time.

That said, Perry/Matai has to teach him the aggression skills required to be a power forward to be like Kidwell.

Williams just seems the "nice guy", play the ball slowly, head down type player...but maybe that's inexperience.

I think that William's power will perfectly compliment Watmough and Stewart's games. I see Stewie as being more of the replacement for Beaver's skill set. He's never going to be Beaver but if he keeps developing his attack (ball playing) and defense (anticipating & covering threats) he has the core skills to fill that massive gap. With Choc and Williams attacking the edges it has a good look to it.

i dare say his first season with us he will be used from the bench, stepping directly into menzies role. He will likely be used as a centre in emergencies during a match as Menzies has on so Many occasions. Williamson will hold his spot next season while williams is brought along steadily. 2010 should see him as a starter with williamson retired or in englnad, and the next youg back-rower continuing their apprenticeship from the bench

Tony Williams is going to be a good signing for the club i feel and i'm sure under Dessie's coaching in time he will bring the best out of him.

Any player leaving one club to another takes time for them to settle in. It could be as early as weeks but unlikely or even months. But once he finds hes way i'm sure we will have a new weapon at Brookie.

No one will ever replace the great Beaver he is one of a kind.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6