Now is there anyone that doesn't think the RLWC is a worthless exercise?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I can't even be bothered sitting through another ad block to find out the final carnage.

Currently Australia 46, Poms 4

What do you do then Mata? Just give up. We are the best in the world - it is up to the others to catch up. It won't happen by doing nothing.

Not the way to build the game though Canteen.  NRL expansion is the key through exhibition games around the globe and the building of local competitions.  Not exercises in humiliation.

Let the Aussies play State of Origin on designated weekends (to minimise the impact on clubs) and the rest of the world play each other. 

Maybe there's scope for a once a year Australia vs Rest of the World fixture after all the minnows have wasted their time and injured their players - just to confirm the gap hasn't closed.

Take away the 2005 Tri Nations where the Aussies were to busy doing a Contiki tour of Europe, and Australia hasn't had it's colours legitimately lowered in over 30 years. 

The lions v aussies (as sterlo called them although i thought they were 'kangaroos') mismatched debacle is not good for the game. Why?

Cause it just proves it's an Australian-centred sport (and in only two states). But worse it makes all those loyal English fans realise they are watching a second-grade comp in their country. No wonder they need our players.

And the referree? An aussie! WTF, It's so micky mouse. Did you see the big grin on the touchies face when we scored in the first half.

Rubbish. Absolute rubbish.

Whilst the games are not close, I don't want to take the chance to play for your country away from the players.

If you want to look at a real joke, look at that stupid International Rules comp. It is competitive (we actually lost) but is a hybrid between Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football. The highly paid professional Aussie Rule players got rolled by a pack of amateurs over here on holidays.

Canteen Worker link said:
If you want to look at a real joke, look at that stupid International Rules comp. It is competitive (we actually lost) but is a hybrid between Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football. The highly paid professional Aussie Rule players got rolled by a pack of amateurs over here on holidays.

By your own admission it is competitive, and limited to two games played within a week so the players can now concentrate on what matters.

Instead we have Perry banged up and Matai deferring an operation he should have had weeks ago. 

I was unimpressed by England I thought they wee getting on top when they scored and if they had maintained it they would have put a dent into Australia, but they fell apart.

If the NRL expanded to other countries like PNG etc you would then have NRL standard players over there and something for them to play up to and thus, a better international game.

But TBH the NRL and international Rugby League couldn't organise a root in a brothel, the fact the games are on so late and the Australian games are all on late at night on a Sunday shows that

It is still better than watching Australia vs India batting it out for a 5 day draw in cricket.

I never tire of us smashing the poms at any sport. 

ManlyBacker link said:
Manly won! There is no game that interests me since that day - it is as simple as that.

In fact Saturday night, we watched the Grand Final again before watching the Kiwi's and PNG hit it out.

One thing that gets me about the Aussie team, is seeing Manly players mixing with Storm players, Perry should be taking shots at Slater IMO

The best games to watch are not the ones Australia is involved in.

England v PNG was good
Ireland V Tonga was good
Tonga V Samoa was good

It'll be good to see how Fiji pans out too. I have been enjoying watching the lesser teams play, and they are predominantly live of FOX.

Internationals are a blight on the game.  Time to think outside the square.  It worked in Union ...

Have teams like Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Aboriginal and Maori teams in competition.  Add NSW & Qld Origins and NZ.  Split NSW & Qld into city/country or similar (assuming they are still too strong).  That gives a Super 10 (or greater) competition to follow the regular season.  Shorten the regular season with each team playing other teams once.

And the lesser teams should be supported with first pick of the crop (subject to eligibility), with the players being ineligible for the Aust teams if they turn down selection.

For the "international" games, perhaps have a combined indigenous team (Pacific Islands, Aboriginal, Maori), NZ, and split Aust up into QLD and NSW.

I have enjoyed watching it so far, only the 2 games have really been duds to watch, and i even enjoyed parts of that match last night

I don't see the point of just shoving it aside into the too hard basket. The 2005 and 2006 Tri nations competitions were great viewing, with the final of the 2006 tournament up there with the best games ever played

Rex, I am not understanding what worked in Union ? They still have plenty of internationals, with realistically only 4-5 teams at the top competitive at any 1 time, and still play their world cup.

I really enjoyed it when Australia played the Rest of the World to celebrate the Bicentennial in 1988.  Gavin Miller played a blinder that night.

International League hasn't been the same since. 

In the end they need a strategy to try and develop what SuperLeague nearly killed, though it was probably terminal prior to that. I think that is as big as an issue as it is trying to spread the game in Australia.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
... Rex, I am not understanding what worked in Union ? They still have plenty of internationals, with realistically only 4-5 teams at the top competitive at any 1 time, and still play their world cup.
Yeah KE.  Soccer was dead before they introduced radical national competition changes.  Union was just about dead and buried before they thought outside the square and introduced the Super 14 (and predecessors) and tri-nations.  Now Netball has done similar and introduced similar competitions - and is taking off.  They all have thriving, competitive, high standard, international and sub-international competitions. 

If we want to grow rugby league long-term, then we need to do something similar to create COMPETITIVE international and sub-international competitions.  The wealth of competitive natives and islanders playing the game creates opportunities. But they need a leg-up just like the Storm got a huge leg-up. Part of this leg-up is ensuring they receive every advantage in selecting players that might otherwise play for Aust. Eligible players of the calibre of Kite, plus they might be given some limited exemptions on otherwise ineligible players

Rex link said:
... Rex, I am not understanding what worked in Union ? They still have plenty of internationals, with realistically only 4-5 teams at the top competitive at any 1 time, and still play their world cup.

Last year Argentina went into he RWC considered lucky if they made the quarter finals.  They finished third, beating the highly fancied hosts twice.

Realistically there were 6-7 sides that could have won last year's RWC and that number seems to grow by one each time they hold it.  4 have won it in the last 20 years.

Noone but Australia has won a World Cup since 1972.

You work out the difference.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=178868.msg202401#msg202401 date=1225699633]

Realistically there were 6-7 sides that could have won last year's RWC and that number seems to grow by one each time they hold it.  4 have won it in the last 20 years.

[/quote]

Mata - that is only because the All Blacks choke very four years - based upon normal international competition outside of a World Cup New Zealand should never get beaten (like kangeroos at RLWC)

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178868.msg202406#msg202406 date=1225701770]
[quote author=Rex link=topic=178868.msg202401#msg202401 date=1225699633]

[/quote]

Mata - that is only because the All Blacks choke very four years - based upon normal international competition outside of a World Cup New Zealand should never get beaten (like kangeroos at RLWC)

[/quote]  Both Australia and SA lowered their colours this year and most tests were decided by less than a try. 

This compares well with the annual ANZAC test embarrasment when 1 plays 2 methinks. 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4