NRL’s highest paid players as Cowboys star Johnathan Thurston talks contract extension

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
MEET the NRL’s top earners.

Using reported figures, including third party agreements and the marquee player allowance, NRL360 compiled a list of the top 10 highest paid players in the game.

North Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston headlines the list, earning a reported $1.2 million a season.

The record four-time Dally M medal winner is contracted with the Cowboys until the end of 2017 but revealed to foxsports.com.au Market Watch in February that he was eager to extend his deal a further season.

Cowboys general manager of football Peter Parr joins Ben Ikin, Ben Glover and Nathan Ryan to pull back the curtain when it comes to recruiting and retaining NRL players.

“I know I’m only contracted for another two years but at this stage I’m enjoying my footy that much that I’ll be keen to go beyond that,” Thurston said at the time.

The Courier Mail’s senior league reporter Peter Badel told NRL360 on Wednesday night that Thurston’s manager Sam Ayoub has begun negotiations for a contract extension which will see his client finish his career in 2018.

“The great maestro has begun talks with the Cowboys for another contract — one final season,” Badel said.
“He’s off contract at the end of 2017 — he has flagged previously the intention to go on. That is now very real. He has instructed his manager to begin talks with the Cowboys (and) he’s done that.”

Should Thurston extend his deal, the 32-year-old will be the first Cowboy in history to play 300 NRL games for the club.

While Thurston’s marketability will see him snare top spot as the game’s biggest earner moving into 2018, remarkably new Parramatta recruit Kieran Foran has already equalled Thurston’s wage.

At only 25, the New Zealand five-eighth signed a two-year deal with an option in his favour for an additional two seasons valued at $1.2 million a year.

“We all know Kieran Foran is on 1.2 — it was spoken about fairly widely as he tried to negotiate last year,” NRL360co-host Paul Kent explained. “Daly Cherry-Evans is the same.”
While Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk is on a reported $800,000 a season, he’s currently in negotiations for a new deal which should see him join the $1 million club.

“You have to bear in mind here that players are at different stages of their contracts,” Kent said.

“Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans are clearly in their first year whereas a bloke like Greg Inglis is in the (second) last year of his contract and no doubt will be looking for an upgrade in his next deal.

“The figures give people an indication what the good guys are earning.”

These are the highest paid players in the competition:

Johnathan Thurston $1.2 million

Kieran Foran $1.2 million

Billy Slater $1.2 million

Cameron Smith $1.1 million

Daly Cherry-Evans $1.1 million

Greg Inglis $900,000

Robbie Farah $900,000

Sam Burgess $800,000

Cooper Cronk $800,000

Josh Dugan $800,000

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/6261c5e95cbbf4adf1a03cd230cc3337

Before there is a flurry of "look at how over paid dce is" there is a fair point re players are on their contracts I.e him and Foran have new deals which is why they are there and expect others to catch up....also if dce delivers he could turn out relatively cheap over time

I'm more than happy with dce earning $1.1 million a year. We're gonna realise tomorrow night how much he means to us (not saying we'll lose), even when he's out of form.
Once all these other halves get new contracts a million dollars will be pretty standard.

So if Scam Smith is earning 1.1 million, Grub Slater 1.2 million and Gronk on 800k. Then that would be three players on 3.1 million.

So are the purple scum cheating the cap again?

$800,000 for Dugan. Wow.
Maybe the drag queens should have set up a pay per game as opposed to pay per season.
That way they would only have to part with half the amount:yum:

So if Scam Smith is earning 1.1 million, Grub Slater 1.2 million and Gronk on 800k. Then that would be three players on 3.1 million.

Just like the Broncs, most of their pay would be TPA.

That's why the NRL must publish a nominal value for each player each year.

We are still waiting for Shane Richardson's Salary Cap recommendations - or did he just junket around the place for his old 700k salary at NRLHQ :cool:

although I say the same, we must not forget to take off the 3rd party payments before we calculate their salary cap.

I'd be interested to see a system where players value is shown as a percentage of their teams salary cap, Smith and slater 15% each, cronk 9% etc.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6