NRL 18th Man Rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Recently been a lot of talk in relation to injured players being replaced by an 18th man. Its seems plausable but opens up other ideas.
The injured player who is replaced by the 18th man are obviously different quality. In Manlys case if Watmough is taken out by a stray Pritchard elbow in the GF & replaced by Vic Mauro we still lose out.
Just an idea - should the player who has been placed on report & not sent off also be replaced by an 18th man for the remainder of the game??

Maybe if the shot is deemed deliberate or intentional, the offending player should be sent off and the game reduced to 16 vs 16. Again though, if a thug off the oppposition bench is sent on to take out a talented play maker, the team who loses the playmaker is still the worse off.

Its a tough one

An idea popped into my head that the injured players counterpart should be rubbed out until the player can return (if at all)

So if Foran gets taken out by an illegal shot against the cowboys then Thurston goes off and can only re enter if Foran does

But its just to messy and could be too easily manipulated.....i dunno, i cant see a perfect solution so i think we have to just stick with what we have

But if its not treated by the judiciary as an illegal hit, what happens then...why would u get an 18th man replacement for a legal tackle

I would hope it wouldn't, but the situation could arise where a team, say the Bulldogs, name some big gorilla from NSW cup instead of James Graham, with sole intention of taking out Killer. He gets put on report, Killer goes off to be replaced by Buhrer (I like really like Buhrer, but he's no Jamie Lyon) and their 18th man just happens to be James Graham.

As I say, it 's an extreme scenario, but it does open it up to that kind of manipulation.

This is sounding very much like Goons in hockey :)

I like the OP idea though

Disco said:
Its a tough one

An idea popped into my head that the injured players counterpart should be rubbed out until the player can return (if at all)

So if Foran gets taken out by an illegal shot against the cowboys then Thurston goes off and can only re enter if Foran does

But its just to messy and could be too easily manipulated.....i dunno, i cant see a perfect solution so i think we have to just stick with what we have

Sorry but Thats a horrible idea. Imagine 2012 gf If Lussuck took out Colin best we lose Lyon? Lussick would be assasinated.

I prefer a situation where the perpetrator can't come back onto the field unless the "victim" is fit to return.

That way it's 16 on 16.

I hate it where you see players put on report, you know damn well they will be suspended, but they don't get sent off, the player that receives the foul play is missing for the rest of the game, yet the perpetrator is allowed to continue to play.

It penalises the victims teams in 2 ways - they lose the player and have a player less for the rest of the game. And then the team that plays the opposition the following week gets the benefit of not having the perpetrator on the field.

mosto said:
I would hope it wouldn't, but the situation could arise where a team, say the Bulldogs, name some big gorilla from NSW cup instead of James Graham, with sole intention of taking out Killer. He gets put on report, Killer goes off to be replaced by Buhrer (I like really like Buhrer, but he's no Jamie Lyon) and their 18th man just happens to be James Graham.

As I say, it 's an extreme scenario, but it does open it up to that kind of manipulation.

This is not how it would work. If killer
got taken out. Manly would bring in there 18th man, and dogs would continue using there 17. not the other way. If Graham was named 18th man. He would remain there. Everyone knows manly players don't take out players deliberately.

Sam Thaiday as 18th man would still be 3rd man in.
They talk about how lockyer was great because he played fullback and 5/8. It was never like that in the same game, thaiday maybe the next immortal. He is a pretty tidy forward, probably in the top 200 forwards of all time, and he has been easily the best third man in most games.does it make him a dual international?
I am sorry I may have gone off topic

Maybe they just send the bloke off who did it. Nothing new in the rules but it certainly doesnt happen anymore.
Video refs, replays...for christ sake we all know when its a send off....

50/50 call...use the sin bin....and give a penalty

on report, 18th man, this game aint broke its just over administrated (if thats a word)

Napper said:
Disco said:
Its a tough one

Sorry but Thats a horrible idea. Imagine 2012 gf If Lussuck took out Colin best we lose Lyon? Lussick would be assasinated.

As i said, messy and easily manipulated

Fact of the matter all of this scenarios have massive flaws so we are better of staying as is.

Even just a simple straight forward 18th man scenario, 2 players get knocked out from head high's within the first 5 minutes.....do we have a 19 man.

And who adjudicates whether a player is out...........an independent nrl doctor?

Disco said:
Its a tough one

Had a similar idea to Disco but did not include it because it may seem over complicated. Here it is anyway.
Every NRL team nominates 3 STAR players.
If a STAR player is taken out & its deemed an illegal play that done so, the team at fault must replace 1 of their star players who cannot come back on until or IF the injured player comes back on.
Disco's idea of the same opposition number is also worthy but I just think a star player would be better because the opposite number may be a NSW cup or fringe player stepping up for that game.
On the other hand with the opposite going off...they have to rearrange the team so both ideas have merrit imo (Not Nathan)

All these types of rules are manipulated by the smarter teams. Didnt we use the head bin rules back in the 87 season & during the grand final to give our forwards a rest, especially Ronnie Gibbs. Used Paul Shaw as a shock player.

Disco said:
Napper said:
Disco said:
Its a tough one

As i said, messy and easily manipulated

Fact of the matter all of this scenarios have massive flaws so we are better of staying

And who adjudicates whether a player is out...........an independent nrl doctor?

You're right. There will be fake injuries every week. Maybe they could use it and say if the injured player comes off to use the 18th man the injured player is ineligable to play the following week.

It just cant work imo

Would there be a time limit on when it can be used in a game?

Everyone is talking about star players but say Mauro cops a fairly soft high shot in the 60th minute. A penalty is awarded and then the manly doctors claim concussion and replace him with the 18th man in Harrison.

Suddenly Manly have gained an advantage of having a fresh man of similiar ability for the last 20 minutes.

There are flaws everywhere

Disco said:
It just cant work imo

Would there be a time limit on when it can be used in a game?

Everyone is talking about star players but say Mauro cops a fairly soft high shot in the 60th minute. A penalty is awarded and then the manly doctors claim concussion and replace him with the 18th man in Harrison.

Suddenly Manly have gained an advantage of having a fresh man of similiar ability for the last 20 minutes.

There are flaws everywhere
The soft shot would have to be put on report so you would think it was legitimate & not a soccer debacle to allow an 18th man - not a club doctors report but the officials ruling on THAT tackle.
As for star players just seen it as a leveller against the team who offended for the discretion in the terms of player quality.
Your probably right though, like most areas in the game there is sure to be flaws - just tossing up some ideas in a debate that will have plenty of different opinions.

MK Eagle said:
The soft shot would have to be put on report so you would think it was legitimate & not a soccer debacle to allow an 18th man - not a club doctors report but the officials ruling on THAT tackle.
As for star players just seen it as a leveller against the team who offended for the discretion in the terms of player quality.
Your probably right though, like most areas in the game there is sure to be flaws - just tossing up some ideas in a debate that will have plenty of different opinions.

Ref's put plenty of shots on report that wouldn't rule the tackled player out of the game.

If you went down this route the NRL would have to hire doctors to oversee each game and rule out players as required

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4