NRL captains to be sent packing under new referee rules

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Referees will be instructed to waive complaining captains away after awarding a penalty as coaches admit some players will take time to adjust to the rule changes introduced in the NRL this season.

NRL coaches were advised at a meeting on Wednesday of the new restrictions on when their skippers could talk to referees, which will no longer occur after a penalty or while a scrum is being formed.

Read More

Referees will be instructed to waive complaining captains away after awarding a penalty as coaches admit some players will take time to adjust to the rule changes introduced in the NRL this season.

NRL coaches were advised at a meeting on Wednesday of the new restrictions on when their skippers could talk to referees, which will no longer occur after a penalty or while a scrum is being formed.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright admitted it would be difficult for captains who instinctively approach referees after a penalty is awarded to immediately change their ways.

But NRL football operations general manager Nathan McGuirk said there would be no phasing-in period and referees were expected to implement the new procedures in trials before the start of the season proper on March 6.

''That will be occurring,'' McGuirk said. ''We have given the clubs and the captains and the coaches some parameters around when they can and can't do it. Previously you [the captain] could question decisions at penalties and at scrums and they were delaying those stoppages extensively.

''It definitely needs a sense of balance, I don't think we have gone completely in terms of blanking the communication now, but what we are saying is that it has to be at certain times of the match which don't effect the flow of the game.''

The only stoppages when captains can now approach a referee is after a try has been scored, during an injury break or when the referee is issuing a caution. Captains will also be given an opportunity to speak to the referees as players leave the field for half-time.

''As long as they know the times they can talk to the referees,'' Cartwright said. ''They are not being ignored if it is not within the rules.

''It is something that has been in the game for a long, long time so it is going to take a while to get used to but that is where the referees have got to be consistent.''

Cartwright said players would also take time to adapt to the crackdown on cannonball tackles, with referees to call held early when a player is held up in a tackle to prevent a third player coming in low. Tackles performed in those circumstances below the knee are now outlawed.

''Even soft contact below the knee if there is three in a tackle will be penalised so we are going to have to train our sides up a bit,'' Cartwright said. ''That is the one we are going to have to train out of players I suppose.''

Dragons coach Steve Price said the changes, which include a zero tackle from the 20-metre tap after a kick goes dead, tap restarts from a 40-20 kick and stopping the clock in the last five minutes between a goal kick and restart, were ''positive'' for the game.

''It might take out certain stoppages and there are going to be aspects of the game which are going to be quicker,'' Price said.

Coaches expressed their concerns about being only told of the rule changes less than six weeks before the season start, but Cartwright and Price said all clubs were in the same boat.

McGuirk said the NRL had been working on the rule changes since the end of last season and had polled 11,000 fans, while all 16 clubs were consulted.

''This has been the longest process of consultation that we have ever gone through and for the first time ever it has involved the fans too,'' McGuirk said.

Meanwhile, Brisbane playmaker Ben Hunt is determined to kick-start his stalled career this season and help reinvigorate the Broncos as a premiership force.

Hunt shapes as a key figure in the Broncos' efforts to rebound from their worst season.

Given their dearth of playmakers, Hunt is set to be called on by coach Anthony Griffin to spark the Broncos' attack.

''Hook [Griffin] has been really into me at training, he has got me working really hard,'' Hunt said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-captains-to-be-sent-packing-under-new-referee-rules-20140129-31n25.html

What we need is a 'captain's challenge' similar to the NFL.

Where the NFL coach makes a challenge that is unsuccessful the team loses a timeout. If it's successful the team doesn't lose a timeout. Further, there can only be one challenge per half (usually.)

The NRL could have a loss of two interchanges if the challenge fails. Thus reducing the frivolous time-wasting challenges.

I can cite a perfect instance in the Grand Final last year. Jennings played at the ball - it should have been able to be challenged.

So, considering Killer is the kicker how is that going to work with the other new rule that time will be called off at 1min 20secs and fines and 1min 40secs? Seems like a disadvantage to me?

Whilst I don't have a problem with captains not being able to approach ref's after penalties because captains only do it to get defensive lines set, and/or to give their side a breather (it's not as is ref's ever change their decisions, and there are clear signals the ref's make to show what the penalites are for)......

I do have a problem with the impunity of which they act coupled with the standard of refereeing upon which they act.

In other words, if they are going to keep making mistake after mistake, without a 'captains' challenge or a more proactive video ref, then the frustration level is going to make Mt Vesuvius look like a sparkler!

Other sports that I watch where captains rarely go to the refs have either a captains challenge, the ref's actually stop the play to explain the decision to politely listening captains, or if in doubt the ref's will have a play reviewed.

Week after week we see an arrogance of 'nope we're right, rarely make mistakes, we're the ref's' based on a refereeing standard that they all fail to achieve.

So no approaching the ref's after a penalty....ok, but you gotta balance that out with higher standard of reffing, less arrogant ref's, and more assistance through technology.

All that said, watching the 1 ref games....everyone seems happy with that and mistakes are kinda more accepted. I think the ref's in those games have a philosophy that if giving away stupid endless penalties in the ruck (for eg) only ruins the spectacle of the game and hence more superficial infractions are let go.

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb

Simples, score lots of tries and chat to the Referee at our leisure :p

Whats the bet that Grub Reynolds from the Dogs will get the Dally M for most dives in a Season :dodgy:

The time penalty of 1:40, must have a countdown clock on the big screen - otherwise its subjective :idea:

So basically another dumb decision made by people who proberbly never played in a NRL type comp. we let amateurs run the game and wonder why it is such a mess. Thank god it is a wonderful game or these people would have it bankrupt already.

Stevo said:
So, considering Killer is the kicker how is that going to work with the other new rule that time will be called off at 1min 20secs and fines and 1min 40secs? Seems like a disadvantage to me?

TinFoilHat.jpg

Aha, so that's the reason why we have co-captains and many other teams are now doing the same. Manly saw the writing on the wall all those years ago that the NRL was going to introduce this rule so when Killer is lining up the ball for a conversion, Kingy (or his equivalent if he is out injured) can then go up an talk to the Ref.

Stevo said:
You're assuming King is on the field?

Nope. That's why I said:

"Kingy (or his equivalent if he is out injured) can then go up an talk to the Ref."

Related Article:

NRL walks the talk by giving refs gagging rights

January 30, 2014
Malcolm Knox

"We want to see more play and less talk," said Todd Greenberg as he introduced rule changes to the NRL, including a ban on captains approaching referees during play to question decisions. Referees will wave the captains away or, if ignored, march them 10 metres. This conjures up what will be, for many, a delicious prospect in round one: Cameron Smith cracking his jokes and flashing his for-refs'-eyes-only dimples at empty space as the game moves on downfield; Jamie Lyon marched all the way into Row J of the Fulton-Menzies Stand, still crying, "Sir? Sir? But what about…?" after a conceded penalty.

Click here to read the full article.

I was surprised that both Cam Smith and Killer were singled out in this article yet the biggest time wasting team captain in the NRL, Michael Ennis failed to get a single mention.

Capture-620x349.jpg

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8