NRL Classic Commentary 2008

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bradza

Bencher
Tipping Member
I would like to propose a classic commentary comp to recognise the commentators mangling of the English language through the 2008 season with an emphasis on cliches and metaphors in particular.

I think Wayne Pearce would lead the market if one was framed and he got this idea started with this effort last week;
".........now they're going from confidence to confidence." instead of strength to strength.
With Wally out of the picture now, Junior is definitely the best at talking himself into the proverbial corner.

Mark Braybrook came out with this one last night;
"It's not rocket surgery!"

Add them as you hear them and I guess it doesn't matter if it's a player , coach or commentator so long as it's related to the NRL.

ha ha Gold. Good idea for a thread too. I can see tallis and Laurie Daley being responsible for a few too, Andrew Johns will surely put his hand up as well

I think the "rocket surgery" was an intentional tongue in cheek effort.

I could fill a whole thread just on Laurie Daley butchering the use of "did" and "done". I know that ex footballers aren't supposed to be Einsteins, but it's seriously embarrassing listening to him trying to sound intelligent whilst not being able to grasp the basics of the English language.

Laury Daley likes saying words that start with P so he can puff his cheeks out while talking.

Daley holds the trophy for this category IMO.

I don't know when he said it but I bet we will hear it again...

Other commentator asks who does Daley think will win

Daley "well, the team with the most points on the board will take this one out"

Speaking of butchering the English language, can someone please tell Paul Harragon that just because you come from Kurri Kurri doesn't mean you have to speak like you never left!!

Bring back the Moose, it'd be just like deja vu all over again.

I remember him protesting about Reef Beach at Clontarf being a nude beach by saying something like "the last thing you want on a Saturday morning is to have male genitals rammed down your throat"

Gold. 

I remember that one well. Many many others deserving of a thread of their own. I saw the moose at brookie last year and he came and signed the Save Brookie petition as he headed to his seat.

Brandy Alexander deserves a mention in his game wrap-up commenting on Snake's try. "He never took the ball off his eyes"...

Good stuff ManlyBacker, that's exactly what we're after.

Junior Pearce was at it again this afternoon early in the Titans v Warriors match on the Gold Coast. He was wondering why the Warriors were wearing their black strip in North Qld!!

Bradza link said:

Junior Pearce was at it again this afternoon early in the Titans v Warriors match on the Gold Coast. He was wondering why the Warriors were wearing their black strip in North Qld!!

Umm so what did he think they should be wearing??

ConcernedSupporter link said:
[quote author=Bradza link=topic=177376.msg183250#msg183250 date=1209281185]

Umm so what did he think they should be wearing??
[/quote]

They do have a grey coloured away strip that may have been better suited to the hot conditions, but I think the "classic" Bradza is referring to in this piece of commentary is that last time I looked the Gold Coast isn't exactly in North Queensland.

Mark O'Neill commentating on the Manly vs. Bulldogs game:-
Minute 68 - It's Manly's last tackle options that are letting them down tonight.
Minute 70 (Two minutes later) - It's Manly's great last tackle options that is the difference tonight.

Dear - o - dear !! I was like - Huh?

After the Knights beat the Gold Coast tonight Scott Sattler went to Kurt Gidley for an interview. He says "Well Matty, jibba jibba jibba.........." and Gidley interrupts saying "it's Kurt mate!"

Great stuff up from the rookie sideline man.

Not so much commentary but a story that makes me laugh each time I think of it.

I was at a business breakfast that “Hollywood” Harrigan was speaking at (Very good actually and a funny guy with a million stories) and he told one about Gordon Tallis who popped a shoulder at Leichardt one year in a game against the Tigers.

They tried to put it back in to no avail so whisked him off to hospital.

The doctor wanting to avoid surgery tried kneeling on it and rotating it back in with big Gordy howling the place down and using every swear word invented (plus a few others that he made up)

A matron from the maternity ward comes past and wants to see what all the commotion is and recognises the big fella.

“Gordon Tallis I thought you were a big tough Queenslander? I’ve got a lady in my ward who’s just delivered a 10lb baby who didn’t make half the noise you are”

Gordy looks her in the eye and growls “Try shoving the bastard back in and then see what she does!”

Classic

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6